Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
the chill
Duck Hater

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by the chill »

My first Tool forum was distortiononlines forum, I think it was distortiononline.com. They helped me to get some really cool live Tool when I was craving new music before 10,000 Days came out. I am chiller on toolnavy, the second Tool forum I joined. I just lurked fourtheye for a while before I joined. Can’t believe I still come to these sites after all these years, but I just can’t shake being a Tool fan and stalking all the sites for any new info. I have meet a few people from here and was suppose to meet a few more that I most likely fucked up and didn’t meet. Very thankful for Hellboy for keeping this machine running.

Now where the fuck is news of the new album or just a single or the bloody new music. Off topic, but I am stocked about the new Star Wars trailer for Rise of Skywalker!! Fuck the haters 🤓
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

New Tool, Star Wars, and Tarantino in 2019. Hot damn.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I'm expecting something either being announced or even released this WEDNESDAY, April 17, given that it will be Maynard's 55th birthday. It's also the Easter weekend next weekend.

Back in 2006, Vicarious leaked or was released around the same time (his 42nd birthday) and Toolband.com did a sneaky Easter Sunday release of about 20 or so signed Lateralus vinyls back then (I just happened to be online and got one).

I think Blair released the title 10,000 days in Mid March 2006 and the tracklist a week or so later
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

basejumper wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 pm
bob wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:59 pm
the toolarchive video update thing had this in it. they took some letters from the code and it could spell ''may third release''
Wouldn't that be awesome!! A new TooL album in 3 weeks AND I win my own contest!
:lol:
haha ya, for sure! its a fake contest and it will be a fake album too! ;)
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Bill Hilly wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:12 pm New Tool, Star Wars, and Tarantino in 2019. Hot damn.
im off to watch the new SW trailer right now! Hellboy should be stoked! Lando is in this one! Star Wars Celebration just started thursday in Chicago. you can watch lots of panels and all that on youtube. going to check day 1 out after i watch the trailer. it will keep my mind off fake tool news! ;)

catch ya's later!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

rinkwhopper wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am I can't remember what Tool forums I was lurking or participating in back in 2006. Did this site exist then?
Can't remember when the Fourtheye forum was created, but wasn't here in 2006 that's for sure
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 pm I loved 10,000 Days the first time I heard it. It is a fantastic album. I do not think it is on the same level as Lateralus or Aenima but that isn't really a knock. Those two albums are, in my opinion, in the top 10 all time rock/metal albums ever made list.

I have joked that I expect the new album be at a Lateralus/Aenima level but it would be so incredibly hard to match that level again. If this album ends up being a 10,000 Days or even Undertow level album in terms of quality I will have no complaints.
This more or less mirrors my expectations. I don't think Tool can get to the level of Aenima and Lateralus. I don't want to give Maynard too hard a time, but I just don't think he has it in him any more to sing at that level.

If the new album can match 10K Days, then I'll be happy with the outcome. I actually think it will be better though.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

the guys have to know how their last CD was received. I also think this will be top quality. 10k days is a grower for sure and some of the guys best work is sprinkled in the album but as a whole cohesive album it falls a touch short when compared to the prior two. It will either be one album with no room for filler tracks (segues will be there) , or a double album that is 10k days quality. I won’t mind either. My only worry is the length of all their songs. Wings is an incredible song but the length butchered the tracklisting and I hear the last song on the new Cd is even longer(18 mins)
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

I look forward to hearing new tunes from a band that dug deeper into my head & my heart than any other I heard at the time or since
also, Avatar!
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

rshforgothispw wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:26 am and I hear the last song on the new Cd is even longer(18 mins)
Where did you hear that info?
unclejackson
My pain is just an excuse

Post by unclejackson »

So what's the deal with the anagram?

Admittedly, I haven't kept up with album rumor mill - so I may be missing some context. Tool doesn't seem to release information in code as often as fans would like to believe. Any thoughts?
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

unclejackson wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:51 am So what's the deal with the anagram?

Admittedly, I haven't kept up with album rumor mill - so I may be missing some context. Tool doesn't seem to release information in code as often as fans would like to believe. Any thoughts?
FWIW, you can spell out "released on CD may fifth" using the 'yields from fields' anagram.
Yes, I am the same Greasy from the hubs (remember AMT?)

https://www.ebay.com/str/cgreinsky
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

tys0n wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:57 pm
Tool_User wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:03 pm
tys0n wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:15 am The past 5 years I've listened to nothing but 10,000 days while not liking it at first.

Tool won.
What didn't you like about it at first? What do you like about it now?
Mainly the production. It was LOUD and NOISY with none of the subtlety of the last two records. To my ears it sounded similar production wise to other albums I heard in the past, which was not at all what I expected from Tool. Then over the years and no new Tool to listen to, I'd find myself throwing on 10,000 days and it started to click. It was Tool, it was loud and noisy, they had always been loud and noisy. They didn't stick to the formula of of a slow slow build up to a cathartic release, the whole thing was a majestic sledge hammer to the face.

I still feel that the track listing is incorrect, with wings for ma reeee/10,000 days being on the first half of the album but how would you move around the songs to make the best flow? Fucked if I know. Maybe that was there intension.
Yeah I get you, it still sounds incoherent to me too that's what I was getting at in an earlier post. I don't expect them to reach the heights of Lateralus again I expect an album of top notch individual songs. I'd be happy with that too but you never know maybe they will surprise us.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

trilobite wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 pm One thing that struck me when 10k was released, it didn't sound cohesive. Or it didn't feel like it had a flow. Maybe it's the track order, but probably more to do with following lateralus. All these years later, it's absolutely cohesive, and the sound is solid. It was just different spacing than I had grown used to. The album still feels chunky. Loud, hefty sections next to calm minimal moments. Then again, wasn't that lateralus? And aenima? I love 10k, it was just new & different. A different flow than the last two. Chunky is an appropriate descriptor, and certainly not a bad thing. I can appreciate a chunky tool.

The new music 13 years ago threw me for a loop, & in hindsight I'm glad it did. And I'd bet it will again. Looking forward to it
And you know, that's a good thing right? There's always a few tracks on an album that take me forever to get into, usually when I get bored of over listening to the rest on the album. It's good to have some 'growers'.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

hellboy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:01 am
M0G wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 pm I loved 10,000 Days the first time I heard it. It is a fantastic album. I do not think it is on the same level as Lateralus or Aenima but that isn't really a knock. Those two albums are, in my opinion, in the top 10 all time rock/metal albums ever made list.

I have joked that I expect the new album be at a Lateralus/Aenima level but it would be so incredibly hard to match that level again. If this album ends up being a 10,000 Days or even Undertow level album in terms of quality I will have no complaints.
This more or less mirrors my expectations. I don't think Tool can get to the level of Aenima and Lateralus. I don't want to give Maynard too hard a time, but I just don't think he has it in him any more to sing at that level.

If the new album can match 10K Days, then I'll be happy with the outcome. I actually think it will be better though.
He has definitely changed his singing style to match his abilities, his voice sounded great on Eat the elephant so it'll be interesting to see how it works compared to Tools music. Should create some good dynamics but hope he still throws in the odd scream.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

rshforgothispw wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:26 am the guys have to know how their last CD was received. I also think this will be top quality. 10k days is a grower for sure and some of the guys best work is sprinkled in the album but as a whole cohesive album it falls a touch short when compared to the prior two. It will either be one album with no room for filler tracks (segues will be there) , or a double album that is 10k days quality. I won’t mind either. My only worry is the length of all their songs. Wings is an incredible song but the length butchered the tracklisting and I hear the last song on the new Cd is even longer(18 mins)
If the reports are true about the length of some of the tracks on the new album then it's either going to be a double album, which I daren't let myself hope for, or a regular album with not many songs and a few fillers. It's new fucking Tool though so either way we are good.
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

tys0n wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:57 pm I still feel that the track listing is incorrect, with wings for ma reeee/10,000 days being on the first half of the album but how would you move around the songs to make the best flow? Fucked if I know. Maybe that was there intension.
Totally agree. The track order is my biggest criticism of 10kd. The Pot following the title track is such a jarring mismatch of tone. You have this epic, heartfelt send off followed by a tongue-in-cheek fun rocker. They should have closed the album with Wings 1 & 2.

I sometimes re-arrange it like this:
Vicarious
Jambi
Lipan Conjuring
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Intension
Right in Two
Wings
10,000 Days
Viginti Tres
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Wings is such a huge bummer (in a good way) though. The album needs a pick me up after it and ending it with it just leaves it in a somber tone.
Hey! Denty!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Right in Two can be a pretty big bummer too, but I think it's the most appropriate track on the album to close with. Well, besides the actual closing track. I still remember, not long after the album came out, waking up in the middle of the night with headphones on to that goddamn song. Scared the bejesus out of me :lol:
also, Avatar!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

The closing of lateralus is also fun to listen to alone in the pitch black. At least the first few times you hear it
also, Avatar!
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Ravenpig wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 pm Wings is such a huge bummer (in a good way) though. The album needs a pick me up after it and ending it with it just leaves it in a somber tone.

Tool described that album as their blues album. It would actually be fitting to be the closer, in my opinion. And why does it have to be such a huge bummer? It really is a beautiful, uplifting song commemorating his mother. My issue with Wings 1 & 2 is that its placement at track 3 made the album a little clunky.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I've never thought about the track list order as much as you guys.

I like a bit of craziness at the end, so reckon that Rosetta Stoned is more out of place
Baahumbug
Fanboi
Height: 6’1

Post by Baahumbug »

Would have been cool story wise to start 10k with lost keys then Rosetta.
Coming off the end of lateralus into that.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Agreed. I thought the album would have sounded great opening with "Alrighty then....."

*It was also such a great opener live.

Lost Keys/RS
Vicarious
Jambi
Lipan Conjuring
The Pot
Intension
Right in Two
10,000 Days
Wings for Marie
Viginti Tres
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Rosetta Stoned!
Beautiful music.
My favorite, amid the other songs, song by these guys.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom