Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:10 pm Funny seeing these idiots get bent out of shape on Reddit because Blair hasn't leaked some obscure ouija board shit today.
Idiots abound on Reddit but to be fair this is getting a bit ridiculous. It’s April 16th and not a peep. Safe to say a late May release is off the table. Which if you remember I did call all this back in late November/Early December. I specially did say June at the earliest. Shame but it’s Tool frustration is par for the course. Still gotta stay positive we at least know they have a fully finished album ready to go for release at some point this year.
The most intelligent person on this forum
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

MJK's birthday, again, is April 17 and they have done things over Easter and his birthday before. His tweeted line about "more focused updates to follow" etc. makes me think they will release a LOT of info/big details soon i.e. release date, album title, track list etc.

That sounds like a 'more focused update' so we'll see. If we are in the same place this time 5 days from now I'll be similarly disappointed/frustrated, especially since I am seeing them in June...
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I'm actually enjoying this final phase of the ride. I've been a Tool fan since 2008 so i've never experienced a release before.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

It was a random mid-March day in 2006 (I think; I could be wrong here) when Blair just casually announced on Toolband.com that the title was... drum roll please... 10,000 days

It was very understated. "So there you go" I think was his next line; you can probably find the post if you go back far enough.

I think the track list came out a week later or in late March, then Vicarious snippet on the radio around April 10 and then i think Vicarious leaked around April 14 (good Friday-ish). Easter Sunday back (April 16) was the sneaky signed Lateralus release (about 20 spare copies apparently) on their website so that's why I keep thinking the Easter/MJK birthday thing is in play again. Hope that makes sense
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

M0G wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 am
Idiots abound on Reddit but to be fair this is getting a bit ridiculous. It’s April 16th and not a peep. Safe to say a late May release is off the table.

You had me at "idiots.."
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 am Idiots abound on Reddit but to be fair this is getting a bit ridiculous. It’s April 16th and not a peep. Safe to say a late May release is off the table. Which if you remember I did call all this back in late November/Early December. I specially did say June at the earliest. Shame but it’s Tool frustration is par for the course. Still gotta stay positive we at least know they have a fully finished album ready to go for release at some point this year.
I don't think you'll have any arguments there. It'll be done when it's done I guess, but the continuing holdups are frustrating no doubt.

That said, anyone building any reasonable level of internal hype when we don't have any form of release date, is setting themselves up for failure. I'm excited for what's to come, but the lid is well and truly on until they give us some concrete info.

FWIW I don't think we should rule out May entirely just yet, but I think we can if Easter comes and goes with no news.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Ettan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:37 am I'm actually enjoying this final phase of the ride. I've been a Tool fan since 2008 so i've never experienced a release before.
Same, I've never experienced a Tool album release and I while I've enjoyed it at times... Like I said before, if we don't get an announcement soon im gonna fuckin snap!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

hellboy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 am
M0G wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 am Idiots abound on Reddit but to be fair this is getting a bit ridiculous. It’s April 16th and not a peep. Safe to say a late May release is off the table. Which if you remember I did call all this back in late November/Early December. I specially did say June at the earliest. Shame but it’s Tool frustration is par for the course. Still gotta stay positive we at least know they have a fully finished album ready to go for release at some point this year.
I don't think you'll have any arguments there. It'll be done when it's done I guess, but the continuing holdups are frustrating no doubt.

That said, anyone building any reasonable level of internal hype when we don't have any form of release date, is setting themselves up for failure. I'm excited for what's to come, but the lid is well and truly on until they give us some concrete info.
I'm worried the 18 minute song will be shit and a large part of the album wasted. That's the kind of negative hype people need to be getting on board with.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tool_User wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:17 am
I'm worried the 18 minute song will be shit and a large part of the album wasted. That's the kind of negative hype people need to be getting on board with.
Their track record on long songs is flawless, so I have no such concerns
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

Bitching about an epic 18 minute tool song, ive heard it all now. Do you hear what your saying?!?! Just stop now and grab greta van fleet stat. You are no longer needed around here.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

hellboy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 pm Yeah, I'm sure Danny will be asked a zillion times this weekend how the album is going. He'll probably say it's already out.
Lol so true. I bet he is just waiting like the rest of us now...on Adam to finish it...
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

brewdog123 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 am Just stop now and grab greta van fleet stat.
Has Tool ever been on SNL?

Didn't think so, you just got TYSOWNED
Canned audience laughter
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Where did this 18 min song rumour come from? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

Hellboy is correct though IMO regarding lengthy Tool tracks over 10 mins:

Third Eye
Pushit (Salival)
No Quarter (Salival)
Lateralus (some live versions)
D/R/T (that's like 20+ mins)
Wings For Marie/10,000 Days
Intension/Right In Two
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned

I'm not counting Disgustipated as that just seems silly etc.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

From fake Adams godson I think. HB stated that his source was somewhat trustworthy so who knows. said it was 16-18 mins and Adam played the solo in the middle of seven amps lined in a circle around him. I think hellohollowhalo is someone with real info that has spouted a shit load of nonsense around it so no one believes him.

there’s also the Egypt rumors with Nile and Bolbitinum as song names and I also remember someone randomly popped up a month or two ago and said the album is about Dante’s inferno and the 9 circles of hell but that comment has since been removed so who knows.

Fun times though and we are approaching the end so I’m enjoying it as much as possible.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

tys0n wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 am
brewdog123 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 am Just stop now and grab greta van fleet stat.
Has Tool ever been on SNL?

Didn't think so, you just got TYSOWNED
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Hmmm, I think the whole Dante's Inferno is a good conceptual idea for the album as a whole, especially if it is as dark and heavy as some have said it is e.g. the guy who described it as a 'Deep Tissue Massage' where he felt pummeled or Tom Morello's description.

"Nine concentric circles of torment" or the "realm ... of those who have rejected spiritual values by yielding to bestial appetites or violence, or by perverting their human intellect to fraud or malice against their fellowmen" sounds plausible for MJK to sink his teeth into lyrically - but it could all be bullshit haha
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'll be surprised if there's some kind of "theme" or "concept" on this album based on some mythology. Just doesn't seem like a very Tool thing to do.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I meant conceptual in terms of inspiration for writing lyrics. Lateralus comes across as uplifting or inspiring, at least songs like Parabola, Lateralus and D/R/T do to me. Aenima seems angrier as a whole, with that whole desire for change or cleansing. And 10,000 days is described by Danny as their 'blues album' ("We're singing the blues... haha" I remember as his quote).

I just think the themes or elements of Dante's inferno could serve as an influence here. If MJK hears new, deep, heavy, swirling music that stirs up a range of emotions, especially those with a darker tinge, then Dante's Inferno fits the narrative for lyrics thematically. I don't think it should be a straight up rip or cut and paste of having one song for each circle or sin though.

Think more broadly like the songs on Dark Side of the Moon: you've got basic thematic ideas for songs like 'Time', 'Money' and 'Us & Them'...

And, yes, I just compared TOOL's unreleased new album to one of the greatest albums of all time; I don't mind if the entire internet shoots me down for it :)
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Just shows they don't care about their fans, who's got the time to sit around listening to 18 minute tracks? How the fuck you s'posed to pay attention for 18 fuckin minutes to one song?
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Pink Floyd's Echoes goes for 25 minutes:

tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

Oh man, a Dante concept album would melt my brain. I always thought of MJK as more of a Leopardi than a Dante, but yes the subject matter would fit with tool’s music. There would also be a special appearance by the orange one we shall not name in the fifth bolgia of the 8th circle of hell where the demon Malacoda reigns.
“Casual Fan”
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

mattw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:02 am Pink Floyd's Echoes goes for 25 minutes:

Well they can get fucked, self righteous bastards. And I thought 18 minutes was taking the piss.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Now I hope it's 19 minutes long.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

One quote that has stuck with me for a while now is Justin's line about "7" and "A lot of things are in 7" or something. It's only relatively recent i.e. last year or so but I remember thinking "Hmmm, that's a weird thing to say" with regard to song structures... it kinda reminded me of MJK on Joe Rogan's podcast (2017 i think) when MJK discussed writing lyrics for the song Lateralus and how much people make out of the whole '987' thing. MJK just thought "Oh, that's kinda cool. Let's see if we can do something" etc. and even refers to it in the podcast as being kinda like a dick joke... but then he says "I can do better" with regard to writing a song based on a particular theme.

Jambi has that Iambic pentameter thing going on as just an example of an 'influence' here so the Dante's Inferno thing just came to mind in terms of influencing lyrics for songs etc.
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

I hope they cover "7" by Prince.