Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Bill Hilly »

I just don't understand the significance of today being the day to announce "this band is fucked. I told you so."
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

There isn’t, it’s just people seeing way too much into things.

May Jay literally already said mid May to mid July and people still have their panties in a bunch.
Hey! Denty!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Bill Hilly wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:19 pm Let's all step away from the edge.
No way man…. I'm going over the edge. Way more fun!
Professor of Lesbian Science
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Username checks out.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

To be honest, he could've said 'release to come this XMAS' & I'd have ate my fist. Bought the presale right away. But he didn't, & it's not. Lovely band 13 years into their last release may feel it's about time to deliver. Then again I can hear a loud 'FUCK OFFFF...' played repeatedly.. droningly, over again into headphones, as a proper send off to what I've come to hold as a deeply introspective, actual realization into everyday life.
also, Avatar!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Just looking forward to the new music guys. For fucks sake it's time. Thanks in advance, let's get on with it
also, Avatar!
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

hellboy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:42 pm Too early to rule out a release before the European tour yet, but it looks less and less likely each passing day. I'll be pretty surprised if there's a May release at this time

Not convinced about the greatest hits tour thing - I do expect we'll see some new stuff live this time round, though nor do I expect it to be a full "new album" tour either.
This greatest hits idea spawned in 2017 at the vip events , i believe
go taff!
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Some info would've been nice but the MJK post was very entertaining.

The cool thing is that TOOL will be back on stage playing live 2 weeks from tomorrow. They played or debuted The Pot, Jambi and Vicarious at Coachella back in April 2006, then added Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned to those three songs two nights later in Seattle. Right In Two was added to a few shows later on once they hit Europe.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

I got to enjoy hearing Eulogy(without maynard), The Pot , Sweat, parabol/parabola , the grudge , Opiate live for the first time in 2017. All greatest hits material , but what an experience.

What's the scoop on this whole paradigm shift idea?
go taff!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

mattw wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:33 pm The cool thing is that TOOL will be back on stage playing live 2 weeks from tomorrow.
Hell Yeah! Ya'll quit yer bitchin'! Listen to what OG #3 is layin down!
TooL live in 2 weeks! Anytime TooL is playing anything sounds like good news.
New album soon!
Professor of Lesbian Science
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i thought ''the greatest shits'' tour already happened back in 2006 during the theatre warm up shows. a lot of people thought they'd have a better setlist once the bigger shows started but it was the same 'big hits' all the way through. those shows got pretty stale and i know a lot of people got annoyed during the 10k tour (me included)

at least with a new album its gotta add some freshness to Schism,46 & 2,etc etc or at least knock some of those out or whatever. if M wasnt such an artys fartys type how awesome would Jerk-Off,Crawl Away,Jimmy etc etc be. its a shame he hasnt wanted to do some of those older tunes just cause.
Last edited by bob on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Bill Hilly wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:47 pm I just don't understand the significance of today being the day to announce "this band is fucked. I told you so."
It's because 4 and 19 were some numbers taped on to an amp Joe Baressi talked about like a year ago or something. Blair also posted it in a newsletter a couple of months ago.

It was never a deadline to be taken seriously, but here we are...
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

bob wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:14 am
i thought ''the greatest shits'' tour already happened back in 2006 during the theatre warm up shows. a lot of people thought they'd have a better setlist once the bigger shows started but it was the same 'big hits' all the way through. those shows got pretty stale and i know a lot of people got annoyed during the 10k tour (me included)

at least with a new album its gotta add some freshness to Schism,46 & 2,etc etc or at least knock some of those out or whatever.
Bands generally cater to the casual fan so expecting stinkfist , schism to remain . Vicarious could maybe get squeezed out with Jambi favoured but would be one of those 2 im expecting im hoping Lateralus makes a come back is too good to leave out
Listen to All Them Witches
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Bands generally cater to the casual fan so expecting stinkfist , schism to remain . Vicarious could maybe get squeezed out with Jambi favoured but would be one of those 2 im expecting im hoping Lateralus makes a come back is too good to leave out
ya i know :( but it sucks! haha

ok to be fair. i'd just like to hear Jerk-Off at least. i cant expect all those, so even that would be awesome! Lateralus is too long. i dont think Jambi will leave the set. im ok with that cause thats a great tune everytime. we know the deal with Vicarous. ooh no..dont say that! :lol:
Last edited by bob on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Lateralus needs to come back into the set, but I don't begrudge the band for giving it a break. If I were to pick an "ultimate setlist" for Tool, it'd include Lateralus. Here's a stab at such a thing

Third Eye
Schism
Jambi
The Grudge
Stinkfist
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Aenima
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

omg! you left Stinkfist and Schism in. thats weird :/

with a new album coming i cant pick a dream setlist but the few i mentioned would be nice.
Eulogy is another people want to hear but honestly that time they did it in 2017 it felt out of place so i donno bout that these days. i didnt care for Sweat in the encore either sorta. didnt fit so well.

you are in Australia though so you dont get to see them as much as we do over here. so i can forgive those two u put in there ;) haha
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Controversial I know, but I actually love those two songs!
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

hellboy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:42 pm Too early to rule out a release before the European tour yet, but it looks less and less likely each passing day. I'll be pretty surprised if there's a May release at this time

Not convinced about the greatest hits tour thing - I do expect we'll see some new stuff live this time round, though nor do I expect it to be a full "new album" tour either.
maybe they'll just drop the single the day the tour kicks off. would be a smart move, they know all eyes will be on tool on this day anyway. they'd get maximum attention for anything they'd release on that day.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I'll add to Hellboy's ultimate setlist here:

Third Eye
The Grudge
Stinkfist
Schism
Pushit
Jambi
46 & 2
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Aenima

Those 10 songs would probably be their 'Greatest Hits' for now, at least in terms of songs that come across so well when played live. I know I'm leaving out some favourites but if I had to pick 10 tracks live, most of these 10 would feature in any ultimate setlist they chose to play.

Here's what I think a new setlist from 2019 will feature though:

Stinkfist
Schism
Jambi
Aenema
New Song 1
New Song 2
New Song 3
New Song 4
New Song 5
Lateralus (maybe)

I think I've seen TOOL 16 times now since 2002 and every show has featured Stinkfist and Schism, and every show since 2006 has featured Jambi. All but maybe one or two have featured Aenema (it just feels the most 'anthemic'). Lateralus is maybe their best closing song but it could be replaced bu some new epic track.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

My "perfect" setlist would be something like this:

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
46 and 2
Prison Sex
H.
Right in Two
Disposition
Reflection
Sober
Lateralus
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

bob wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:25 am Lateralus is too long.
Banned
Canned audience laughter
jackob2545
My pain is just an excuse

Post by jackob2545 »

Met Danny tonight which was pretty cool. No Tool talk (can’t go full fanboy). Stumpfest is a pretty awesome gig they’ve set up. While we wait for new Tool, I highly recommend Earthless if you haven’t checked them out.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

mattw wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:03 am I'll add to Hellboy's ultimate setlist here:

Third Eye
The Grudge
Stinkfist
Schism
Pushit
Jambi
46 & 2
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Aenima
I'll go with this... would be pretty amazing to see all of this.

I also think some of the more recent performances of Lateralus, with the amazing visual effects, that I have watched on YouTube are cathartic. I think that should almost always be a show closer...
Be good to each other.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I think Tool should just release the album without any fanfare. To be honest it would surprised me greatly if they did. (though I think it's pretty unlikely)
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Yeah I completely understand the reasons for giving Lateralus a rest and maybe they'll continue to leave it out given the song length. But to me this song should be first picked every time. It is just such an amazing song live.

Out of all the staples they play, I see Vicarious being the most likely to be removed. Knowing they have to keep some staples in I could see remaining:

Stinkfist
Aenima
Schism
Jambi

This keeps the average fan engaged. Would allow them to throw in say 4 or 5 new songs and then maybe Lateralus with a bit of luck.
Listen to All Them Witches