10,000 Days Reminisced

The Main Event
tys0n
Streeper

10,000 Days Reminisced

Post by tys0n »

With the new album coming out within the next year I thought it'd be kinda cool to see where everyone else was at when 10,000 Days was released.

It'll be 13 years in a few days since then and I know a lot of us have evolved, changed, grown and even some of you have sadly become adults in that time.

So where were you at when 10,000 days was released? How did you obtain it? How has life changed in the meantime?

Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Re: 10,000 Days Reminisced

Post by Busty McCracken »

I bought it from virgin records, still believed my life was going to be rewarding and have since then bought a townhouse and a home , got into a relationship that is making me miserable and all the while remained in Cairns
Listen to All Them Witches
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

I either had just graduated college or was about to that month. I had no solid plans and was about 4 or 5 years away from getting my career on track. But I was in a band and probably enjoying life and being 21. I don't recall where I purchased the CD but I remember my friend who isn't particularly a tool fan also bought a copy at the same time, and I suspect he probably hasn't listened to it very many times since.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

In 2006 I was working in El Salvador. Flew back to catch the Coachella show which was a hell of an experience. Bought a copy from Rasputin’s and another for my buddy at Tower records where they also were giving away free TOOL posters and stickers which I thought was pretty cool. The album kicked ass from the get go for me. I have other friends who had always been into TOOL as well but it took some time for them to grasp it, but like most they did. 13 years in the future, have a great family and still living abroad. Still in disbelief there is no album after all these years, but hopefully that should change soon.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:37 am I bought it from virgin records, still believed my life was going to be rewarding and have since then bought a townhouse and a home , got into a relationship that is making me miserable and all the while remained in Cairns
Good luck with the relationship. Don't be afraid to leave if you think you deserve better.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Man, I am in such an entirely different place than I was when that album came out. It's insane for me to even contemplate, as I usually don't reminisce on such things. Granted, I would think anyone would be after THIRTEEN GODDAMN YEARS haha.

I'm 37 now, which means I was 24 then. So... yeah. I was a fucking wastoid spaz back then, dicking around in college aimlessly (which is to say not going to school or advancing towards anything whatsoever). I've been through immeasurable growth since then, including two long, horrible, soul-crushing relationships (which I wouldn't trade because I learned SO much and was forced to rearrange and improve my life and my being). I started and subsequently ended a band (8 years all told) which was both one of the most rewarding and painful experiences I've ever been through.

I now have a great career, the best circle of close friends and the absolute best goddamn life (follow me on insta if you want to look at it haha), though still act like a fucking child in many ways (I highly recommend this. Don't ever "grow up" in the proverbial sense. Handle your shit and enjoy life, and don't let anyone badger you into being a goddamn "adult" in the boring sense of the word.) I am almost an entirely different person than I was back then.

I remember when I first heard the album, I had already heard Vicarious on the radio and loved it. I was at some house party doing a goddamn mountain of blow and someone was like "I have the leaked 10K Days album," and I was very steadfast that this was NOT the state I wanted to hear the new album in. I detest leaks in principle and respect what Tool's music is about and it's very near and dear to me, so I did not want to experience it in a very non-psychedelic state. Nonetheless, they put it on and I of course just listened. When Vicarious ended and that goddamn riff to Jambi began, my eyes must have turned as big as saucers and I don't recall ever feeling so elated from a piece of music. It blew my ever-loving mind. And then the rest of the album unfolded and it did not disappoint in any way whatsoever.
Last edited by joeypants on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I cannot wait until the new one, at which time I will be goddamn TEEING OFF on some DMT and once I'm out of that beautiful little realm, will put the album on at ear piercing volume and smile like an idiot for no doubt hours upon hours.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Tool_User wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:06 am
Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:37 am I bought it from virgin records, still believed my life was going to be rewarding and have since then bought a townhouse and a home , got into a relationship that is making me miserable and all the while remained in Cairns
Good luck with the relationship. Don't be afraid to leave if you think you deserve better.
Also this. I really don't think we should derail this wonderful topic (great thread, Tyson!) with this, but man... get the fuck out. If there's one thing I've learned it's that happiness is a choice and almost all relationships are gonna fail or end at some point anyway. Do not ever, ever stay in a relationship or ANY other goddamn situation in life that's making you unhappy. We all deserve happiness.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

joeypants wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:20 am
Tool_User wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:06 am
Also this. I really don't think we should derail this wonderful topic (great thread, Tyson!) with this, but man... get the fuck out. If there's one thing I've learned it's that happiness is a choice and almost all relationships are gonna fail or end at some point anyway. Do not ever, ever stay in a relationship or ANY other goddamn situation in life that's making you unhappy. We all deserve happiness.
Well said. I'd only add that although there seems to be social stigma attached to it, dont be afraid of trying couples counciling/therapy. It turned my relationship around and went from being hell on earth to pretty damn good right now. It takes two to tango though, if she isn't interested then there's not a lot you can do. Either way, the best of luck!
Last edited by Tool_User on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

I lost my mum a few years before 10k came out and when it dropped it hit me like a ton of bricks. Went through so many emotions and I couldn’t even bring myself to go to the tour because of them playing wings. Tool has always been that band that has been playing while growing up and it’s pretty weird that I’ve grown the most while they have taken their break. I do appreciate 10k days a lot more while I go back to it from time to time because of the relatable tunes.

Since then, I have come to terms with what’s been thrown our way and can appreciate it without breaking down as much. I also met my wife (11 years together) and had three wonderful kids with our youngest daughter just celebrating her first birthday this past 4/20. I’ve also been clean off drugs for a few years now but did lose my best friend to a heroin overdose a year ago next month which has been a little hard to deal with while putting on a happy face for your kids. He was the only other tool fan in my small circle of friends. Wish he would have hung around. life is funny that way. It’s never too bad for long but it’s sure as shit not great for long either. In lighter news I’ve also started my own company and just surpassed 1 million in total sales so there’s something fruitful from all the madness.

Taking my wife to see tool in 16 days and I couldn’t be more excited. Last time I saw them was in 01 and it was incredible. I’m interested to see how the gang has grown along side us.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

joeypants wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 am Man, I am in such an entirely different place than I was when that album came out. It's insane for me to even contemplate, as I usually don't reminisce on such things. Granted, I would think anyone would be after THIRTEEN GODDAMN YEARS haha.

I'm 37 now, which means I was 24 then. So... yeah. I was a fucking wastoid spaz back then, dicking around in college aimlessly (which is to say not going to school or advancing towards anything whatsoever). I've been through immeasurable growth since then, including two long, horrible, soul-crushing relationships (which I wouldn't trade because I learned SO much and was forced to rearrange and improve my life and my being). I started and subsequently ended a band (8 years all told) which was both one of the most rewarding and painful experiences I've ever been through.

I now have a great career, the best circle of close friends and the absolute best goddamn life (follow me on insta if you want to look at it haha), though still act like a fucking child in many ways (I highly recommend this. Don't ever "grow up" in the proverbial sense. Handle your shit and enjoy life, and don't let anyone badger you into being a goddamn "adult" in the boring sense of the word.) I am almost an entirely different person than I was back then.

I remember when I first heard the album, I had already heard Vicarious on the radio and loved it. I was at some house party doing a goddamn mountain of blow and someone was like "I have the leaked 10K Days album," and I was very steadfast that this was NOT the state I wanted to hear the new album in. I detest leaks in principle and respect what Tool's music is about and it's very near and dear to me, so I did not want to experience it in a very non-psychedelic state. Nonetheless, they put it on and I of course just listened. When Vicarious ended and that goddamn riff to Jambi began, my eyes must have turned as big as saucers and I don't recall ever feeling so elated from a piece of music. It blew my ever-loving mind. And then the rest of the album unfolded and it did not disappoint in any way whatsoever.
Yeah I thought vicarious was a fake song until Jambi came on. Then I knew the shit I downloaded was pure tool. same with what came after. wish I would’ve caught that tour!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Great idea for a thread by the way Tyson. Not gonna reply to each individual but its nice to hear your stories good and bad. Well done to all for making it this far 👍

I was 18 when 10k days came out. I remember seeing the advert for it on mtv2, can't seem to find that ad anywhere online has anyone got a link? I didn't actually listen to it for years though. I came across Tool one day on YouTube and remembered the ad from years ago so went searching and found vicarious.. Got the album the next day from my sister who downloaded it. One of the few albums I don't actually own a genuine copy of. The first Tool album I got into and still love it.

I was living at my dads at the time now I live with my girlfriend and am a qualified electrician. I lived in Australia for over a year and loved for 2 years with a girl in Belgium. Fucked a lot of oppurtunities up, made and lost friends and just general life shit. Wouldn't change a moment of it. This new album better be fucking good.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

BlackHole83 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:28 am In 2006 I was working in El Salvador. Flew back to catch the Coachella show which was a hell of an experience. Bought a copy from Rasputin’s and another for my buddy at Tower records where they also were giving away free TOOL posters and stickers which I thought was pretty cool. The album kicked ass from the get go for me. I have other friends who had always been into TOOL as well but it took some time for them to grasp it, but like most they did. 13 years in the future, have a great family and still living abroad. Still in disbelief there is no album after all these years, but hopefully that should change soon.
What work were you doing in El Salvador?
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

rshforgothispw wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:29 am I lost my mum a few years before 10k came out and when it dropped it hit me like a ton of bricks. Went through so many emotions and I couldn’t even bring myself to go to the tour because of them playing wings. Tool has always been that band that has been playing while growing up and it’s pretty weird that I’ve grown the most while they have taken their break. I do appreciate 10k days a lot more while I go back to it from time to time because of the relatable tunes.

Since then, I have come to terms with what’s been thrown our way and can appreciate it without breaking down as much. I also met my wife (11 years together) and had three wonderful kids with our youngest daughter just celebrating her first birthday this past 4/20. I’ve also been clean off drugs for a few years now but did lose my best friend to a heroin overdose a year ago next month which has been a little hard to deal with while putting on a happy face for your kids. He was the only other tool fan in my small circle of friends. Wish he would have hung around. life is funny that way. It’s never too bad for long but it’s sure as shit not great for long either. In lighter news I’ve also started my own company and just surpassed 1 million in total sales so there’s something fruitful from all the madness.

Taking my wife to see tool in 16 days and I couldn’t be more excited. Last time I saw them was in 01 and it was incredible. I’m interested to see how the gang has grown along side us.
Sorry for your losses, but seriously well fucking done for keeping clean for so long that's a huge achievement.
DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea

Post by DeadGuyAle »

joeypants wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 am (follow me on insta if you want to look at it haha),

So is realjoeypants your ID on instagram? If so, loved you in Matrix. :D
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

DeadGuyAle wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:48 pm
joeypants wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 am (follow me on insta if you want to look at it haha),

hahaha. joeypants666
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

DeadGuyAle wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:48 pm

hahaha. yeah that's me!
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

The memento guy no way!
rgardjr
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rgardjr »

May 2, 2006 three friends and I made the drive over to Seattle to see Tool's first night at the Paramount Theatre. I loved the show and I thought they sounded as good as I've ever heard them. Later that night the band (minus Maynard) and road crew returned to the same bar that we'd run into them at the last time they played the Paramount. Danny recognized my buddy who's 6'6" tall from the previous visit and hung out with us for quite a while. Adam came over for a bit to see what Danny was up to. I remember saying "Hi" to Justin when he was sitting at the bar as I was getting another round for our table. I'm pretty sure I got introduced to Junior briefly when we started asking Danny how the video projection stuff worked. May 2, 2006 was a good day.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

pretty sure I was under the influence of LSD when I first heard the leaked songs. I remember jeweled lattice work visuals during intension/right in two.
go taff!
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I was 12 back when I discovered Tool in 2008. The Pot was the first track I ever heard from them, I thought they were going to be like a growl death metal band or something prior to listening so when Maynard sang the opening words on The Pot I was taken by chock. Loved it immediately! I later bought 10k days and put it on, was then really intrigued by the heavy and dark riffs with a twist of a esoteric mystical vibe to it. I very much look forward to experience a new Tool release :)
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Wow what a cool fucking thread... You guys are all awesome.

In 2006 when 10,000 Days was released my wife and I were eagerly awaiting the arrival of our 3rd child. I was doing my honours at University, at 29 years old after a career change, which would lead to a wasted few years chasing a PhD that I will never finish. My world was so bright back then we had just recently (3 years earlier) moved into our house on the Mountain and I felt unbreakable, I had an awesome family, I was the top student to ever go through a Science degree and felt like my life was going to be awesome. I am not saying it isn't great now but at that time I was on top of the world.

I remember in 2009-10 driving home from Uni in Brisbane listening to Jambi (and I have talked about this on the forum before) listening to the lines "But I, I would wish it all away.If I thought I'd Lose you just one day." and thinking fuck if I ever lost one of my kids I would give everything away. Then in 2012 my number 2 boy was diagnosed with Bone cancer and the fucking whirlwind that surrounded that until he died in 2013 (aged 9) changed me forever. That feeling of strength and confidence that I had in 2006 was long gone, I was broken for a long time (and again I have posted bits of this on here). But all through that time TOOL's music helped to heal me. I remember nights in my office pissed as a fart and stoned as a motherfucker singing the lyrics of Parabol/Parabola or Wings (1&2) and my wife yelling at me for being too loud :). I am lucky that I have always maintained my professionalism at work and have done very well.

But in the last few years I have pulled myself out of that hole, and started to rebuild myself (I was never a basket case externally it was always internalised). I have started to find the things that used to colour my world. All the while TOOL has been the background to this, I have always found catharsis in TOOL's music which is why I love it so much. I have also found this group of people to be awesome. As I said last week I don't post all the time but I check this site every day to see what is happening and I genuinely love all of the banter that happens on this site.

Wow that was a lot longer than I expected to write. Please don't take that as a sad rant because it was not meant to be, I am a happy guy and I genuinely love life for what it is...
Be good to each other.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

so sorry to hear about your loss. reading about other people’s pain and how they climb back up has been very inspiring. Glad we will all get to start our next chapters with a new soundtrack soon.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@PimPle. So sorry to hear that man. I can’t imagine how tough that would be. Glad you’re in a better place now.

@Tyson - great thread. I’ll go dig out my TA post when 10kd leaked, if I can find it. I was still an old fart back then... you gonna add yours?
Ki77aan :twisted:
novaconda
My pain is just an excuse

Post by novaconda »

I was in college which seems crazy to think the next new tool album would come out when I'm married with 3 kids. I remember when I got to hear Vicarious after it debuted. It definitely reminded me of something off of Lateralus. However, when the full album dropped, many of the other songs certainly sounded like Tool, but they had a different flavor compared to Lateralus. Lateralus dropping and hearing that for the first time was more earth-shattering for me. I also don't remember the album leaking.
The last mile is the one you really need to make.