Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
tys0n
Streeper

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tys0n »

Tool_User wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:13 am No? The majority of fans probably won't get to see them live, so because of some weird play it live first principle most fans will hear some shitty live clip first... Not sure why that's to be applauded exactly? Isn't that needy and selfish making everyone else wait?
Is it about you or is it about the band and their choices?
Canned audience laughter
novaconda
My pain is just an excuse

Post by novaconda »

Absolutely incredible! I can't believe how good Invincible really is. It seems really much more complex than what I have given time to listen. They are knocking this out of the park no doubt. This truly may be some of their best work as they said. Descending was pretty solid with lyrics added. I can't believe how tight they sound with the new work as well!

@junior....is it difficult to sink your teeth into a new song like Invincible and produce a light show for it?
The last mile is the one you really need to make.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

So one interesting question is what was being rendered that Adam was referring to a few weeks back on Instagram. It didn't look to me like either of the new tracks contained any new footage that would really constitute much rendering (Invincible seemed to be largely based on Adam's insect artwork).

Safe to assume that there is a video coming? Or perhaps some video footage worked on for other material?
novaconda

Post by novaconda »

hellboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:58 am So one interesting question is what was being rendered that Adam was referring to a few weeks back on Instagram. It didn't look to me like either of the new tracks contained any new footage that would really constitute much rendering (Invincible seemed to be largely based on Adam's insect artwork).

Safe to assume that there is a video coming? Or perhaps some video footage worked on for other material?
Could you imagine if they issued out a video for each of these longer songs? Pretty revolutionary if they did. This is incredible work, no doubt.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

hmm, i donno. maybe he was referring to making the live show footage. i noticed too the bug thing going on in Invincible from the posters. honestly the speed Adam works at i cant imagine hes got a full length video going for any new song. hes the last to do his parts and then hes got the album artwork side of the things. hence why we wont have an album till DEC or something. haha jk but still. early July at the latest i hope.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

tys0n wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:52 am
Tool_User wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:13 am No? The majority of fans probably won't get to see them live, so because of some weird play it live first principle most fans will hear some shitty live clip first... Not sure why that's to be applauded exactly? Isn't that needy and selfish making everyone else wait?
Is it about you or is it about the band and their choices?
Obviously it's about their choices you fucking clown. On a Tool forum on the Internet I am questioning their decisions OK?
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

I caved in and listened to Invincible, i’m loving it and i bet the studio version will kick ass!
This is too damn exciting, the Floridians were pretty lucky to witness this while i’m at the opposite end of the spectrum in the middle east with no chance of seeing Tool live whatsoever.
I forgot my pen
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

It takes some strong shit to shut a festival up.

I'm fucking thrilled they let 2 new songs fly live. Tickled

If you were writing & working on something for years, something personal that you planned to share with millions of people- wouldn't it be nice to share that for the first time live?

I like what I'm hearing so far, and I'm glad it'll all be released soon. From day one, tool's music is something I've had to digest & let sink in. Repeated listenings & the new albums just got better and opened up. It's been so damn long now, I'm not worried for another aenima or lateralus, or even more 10k. This new shit sounds tight & cohesive & very fucking tool, and it's refreshing as hell to hear them together again

It's about goddamn time
also, Avatar!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I agree that as a band you'd love to share your new stuff with a live audience, and I have no problem with them doing so.

Just wish the gap between this live debut and the album was days/weeks rather than what appears to be months. It's nice to be in that 0.5% of fans that can actually see them live this time around. It's a massive case of blue balls for the rest.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

I dont get it how people can complain about new tool not sounding like tool from the past. 13 years lie in between their two recent albums. 13 years! music comes from within. it's part of your character, your emotions, feelings, environment. noone stays the same for 13 years (hopefully). music evolves and changes just as the person who writes it does. if you want "more of the same", there's a lot of bands out there whos discography sounds completely redundant. in fact, that'S what i've always loved most about tool: all their albums sound very unique and different, yet you still recognize the same band behind the music. lateralus sounds nothing like aenema. 10k days sounds nothing like lateralus. here we go
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

hellboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:23 am I'm pretty happy with the lyrics actually. I think those complaining that it sounds like Eat The Elephant are just trolling the low hanging fruit. It's really a no brainer that at this point in his career Maynard will sing more and scream less.
I agree. I've been thinking about how much more ethereal than visceral the new songs are, damn, they just flow. I think they've essentially been on that trajectory since the beginning, even though the old material has both of those factors. It's just a given that age is going to mellow them out a bit, the real question is if the music is interesting and different than before and it is. Adam has always said they take their time to grow and it shows here. For those wanting something heavier, I'm thinking about what Maynard said in 2012 when I was in Reno, after playing Hooker and Ticks, about playing those songs at age 50 and how it kinda contradicts their mood now. Not that they'll never necessarily play them again, but to expect new songs like that? It'd be forced and you'd hear it.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Danny wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:40 am Did anyone figure out the lyrics?

I watched the first videos and the quality was bad and i’m busy for the next couple of days so i can’t listen to the songs on my proper living room setup, i think i’m gonna wait for the single/album.

But i’d like to read the lyrics if anyone can help a brotha out.
Saw this on reddit, not sure how accurate..

Once Invincible, now this armor is wearing thin, and the shields down

Warrior, Struggling to remain relevant

Warrior, Struggling, to remain consequential

Cry out loud, bold and proud, where I've been, here I am

Where I've been?

Warrior, Struggling to reamain relevant

Warrior, Struggling, to remain consequential

Tear in my eyes, chasing ? phantom sword ? ??

never gone, in my way, there for now, feel the sting

Feeling time bearing down
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

limeygringo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:55 am I've been thinking about how much more ethereal than visceral the new songs are, damn, they just flow. I think they've essentially been on that trajectory since the beginning, even though the old material has both of those factors. It's just a given that age is going to mellow them out a bit, the real question is if the music is interesting and different than before and it is. Adam has always said they take their time to grow and it shows here. For those wanting something heavier, I'm thinking about what Maynard said in 2012 when I was in Reno, after playing Hooker and Ticks, about playing those songs at age 50 and how it kinda contradicts their mood now. Not that they'll never necessarily play them again, but to expect new songs like that? It'd be forced and you'd hear it.
To me Ticks already seemed a bit like a forced successor to HWAP. :)
But yes, I agree. Mellowed out Tool sounds like a good thing, as long as it's interesting.
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

So.... should I go ahead and listen to a shitty YouTube recording or just wait till Wednesday?!?! What's the consensus?
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

the stuff on YT isnt as bad as people been saying. DEF check it out. why rob yourself and keep waiting. DO IT!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

lachrymologist wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 am So.... should I go ahead and listen to a shitty YouTube recording or just wait till Wednesday?!?! What's the consensus?
Man, if you're attending a show I'd wait. I crumbled though, and holy shit, these songs are so fucking good!! Best video of Descending so far...

BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Teaser as fuck, your choice :)

lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

:roll: I'm going to take a shower and think about it
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

Yea i didnt even make it 12 hours lol. Woke up this morning to people texting me links to youtube videos lol. I'm not mad anything is spoiled if anything I'm more hyped. Little disappointed in the other songs on the setlist, but that is exactly what i expected. Not using the internet for 8 days was a long shot anyway.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

novaconda wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 am @junior....is it difficult to sink your teeth into a new song like Invincible and produce a light show for it?
It’s a lot to digest.
As with every album cycle, the live production will evolve over time.
novaconda

Post by novaconda »

Man...these are some long songs. I'd be surprised if they go the radio route for playing any of these. Even Jambi was cut short on my local rock stations. Edited down to take out the bass solo part at the end.
novaconda

Post by novaconda »

junior wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 am
novaconda wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 am @junior....is it difficult to sink your teeth into a new song like Invincible and produce a light show for it?
It’s a lot to digest.
As with every album cycle, the live production will evolve over time.
Thanks. I can't imagine attempting to produce and sequence a light show for Tool. It probably feels like you are your own artist in that sense. Enjoy the road!
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

im a little worried about something. being this album seems like epic long songs i wonder how many they will do in a show ? u know they are gonna throw in ''the hits' still so i wonder how they will compromise that. play 2 hours! thats a start! you can only fit in so many 11/12 min songs. im sure it will work but too many ''hits'' is gonna take away from 12 minute chunks for sure.
Last edited by bob on Mon May 06, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

I'm waiting for the album. I've listened to small snippets of both Descending and Invincible. From what I have heard, I'm excited.

Was the 30 second clip from the loft that surfaced a part of either of these songs? You know the clip I'm talking about with the double kick and heavy riff that sounded similar to Metallica's One. I'm asking because I don't think we can make any assumptions to how "mellow" this album is going to be off of two songs, which is maybe a quarter of the new record.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
novaconda

Post by novaconda »

bob wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 am im a little worried about something. being this album seems like epic long songs do you think they are really going to play mostly that ? u know they are gonna throw in ''the hits' still so i wonder how they will compromise that. play 2 hours! thats a start! you can only fit in so many 11/12 min songs. im sure it will work but too many ''hits'' is gonna shorten things more then some might like.
Even more interesting will be to hear the order of tracks on the new album and how they flow. A side note to that idea, I'd love to hear Lateralus all the way through at one show. Similar to how APC did a full album show a little while back.