Album Of The Week (Budsy) Yes - Relayer (1974)

doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Kittaan said
That's from Tormato, which I love.  Going for the One is another excellent disc.  Of the later period, there are a few great songs here and there, but mostly crap...  Although I have to admit, I do dig most of Drama. 

Going for the One, oh yes!

You've got great taste. What makes Yes unique is also Jon Anderson's vice - it's amazing imo.

budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

the keyboard solo is innnntense  haha
go taff!
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

yes  is quite interesting.......i did purchase 'fly from here' recently..worth a listen
go taff!
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Haha

budsyralli said

the keyboard solo is innnntense  haha

Haha! It is. I love it though. That's Rick Wakeman for you.

elp5000
My pain is just an excuse

Post by elp5000 »

Since we have entered the Prog Rock Time Machine can I add one of my favorites ??

;-}~
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

elp5000 said
Since we have entered the Prog Rock Time Machine can I add one of my favorites ??

;-}~

I'd rather the thread stay on topic tbh.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy1975 said
 I can't stand Rush for instance.  

OMG!!!!!!

Could it be that your, ahem, "taste" in music ain't so bad after all?!?!

Well, slap my ass......
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay said

hellboy1975 said

I can't stand Rush for instance.  

OMG!!!!!!

Could it be that your, ahem, "taste" in music ain't so bad after all?!?!

We're not so different you and I...
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Now all you need to admit is that Dream Theater and all their fans should be exiled to the bottom of the ocean and it's drinks all round, Nuggets.....!!
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

I'm not going to argue, Rush are pretty terrible.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

BACK ON TOPIC:

I haven't heard this album, but I'll give it a hurl tomorrow. "CLOSE TO THE EDGE" is a fucking amazing album - and the first song is about my favourite book. Win all over that thing.

I haven't listened to YES for years, and that's why I wanted to put it as my album next week. It's nice to revisit old classics, and it would've churned up some great discussion.

BUT I CAN'T FUCKING DO THAT NOW, CAN I.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay said
Now all you need to admit is that Dream Theater and all their fans should be exiled to the bottom of the ocean and it's drinks all round, Nuggets.....!!

I thought that went without saying
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Anyone wanna offer their best YES albums? All I can think of is "CLOSE TO THE EDGE", but I have a whole bunch back in my CD box in Oz.

I think it was pretty much because of the connection with "SIDDHARTHA" that it's been the only one that stands out. It's all really good.

What I wanted to say about YES next week, I'll say now: Out of all the hardcore prog bands I've listened to, both from that era and to now, they're the only band where I've ever felt that everything they did came from an extremely lighthearted and love-of-fun place - yet coupled with some extremely confident songwriting and musicianship. Everything they did just seemed so effortless.

Take, for example, our (or at the very least, my) beloved KING CRIMSON. As much as they FUCKING OWN, you always get the sense that everything they did was pretty serious, and oh-so laboured. Fripp is a great musician, no question - but how much of his songwriting was truly effortless?

The sense I get from YES if one of absolute ease, and a deep pleasure from what they created.

That's a great thing. Many bands have picked up on what I'm talking about, yet seemed to have failed. I have a lot of respect, I guess, in conclusion, only because of how easy they made their songwriting seem.

I love it. Looking forward to rocking this tomorrow whilst I study. I just hope I haven't already heard it . . .
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

@ elp - Brain Salad Surgery is an amazing album

@ HB - Na that was a one time thing.  No criticism of any review coming from me.

Thoughts on the album:

Not a big fan of Yes post Bruford.  Anderson's voice can also be a little grating at times.  Relayer is a good album, but it is a tad over indulgent at times.  In some ways Yes feels like the classic prog equivalent of Dream Theater.  Tremendously talented musicians no doubt but absolutely no concept of restraint.  You need to know when to ratchet things back a little.  I am all for jazz/fusion type experimentation and jamming but I like it best when it feels like it is moving somewhere.  Where all the parts fit together and the work feel cohesive. 

I have never listened to a KC album and felt like they were going over the top.  The music itself never suffered from the ego of the musicians involved.  That has always been a danger with Progressive music.  Sometimes the music functions to serve the musician.  The very best prog albums don't work like that.  Each player is there to serve the music and no one player is bigger than the sum of the whole.

Relayer is a tricky album to score.  Incredibly talented group of musicians.  A number of impressive sections in the album but as a whole I wouldn't call it excellent.  7 out of 10.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Salty Balls said
@ elp - Brain Salad Surgery is an amazing album

@ HB - Na that was a one time thing.  No criticism of any review coming from me.

Thoughts on the album:

Not a big fan of Yes post Bruford.  Anderson's voice can also be a little grating at times.  Relayer is a good album, but it is a tad over indulgent at times.  In some ways Yes feels like the classic prog equivalent of Dream Theater.  Tremendously talented musicians no doubt but absolutely no concept of restraint.  You need to know when to ratchet things back a little.  I am all for jazz/fusion type experimentation and jamming but I like it best when it feels like it is moving somewhere.  Where all the parts fit together and the work feel cohesive. 

I have never listened to a KC album and felt like they were going over the top.  The music itself never suffered from the ego of the musicians involved.  That has always been a danger with Progressive music.  Sometimes the music functions to serve the musician.  The very best prog albums don't work like that.  Each player is there to serve the music and no one player is bigger than the sum of the whole.

Relayer is a tricky album to score.  Incredibly talented group of musicians.  A number of impressive sections in the album but as a whole I wouldn't call it excellent.  7 out of 10.

Goddamnit, that's why TOOL own so much.

Why the fuck do they keep making it hard for us to like them. Argh.
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

in my opinion... dream theatre sounds like video game music...and i just cannot get into them.......yes ,  has a sound...a feeling that i can get down to....
go taff!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I'm frankly amazed that anyone likes DREAM THEATER. They're everything that's terrible about prog-metal.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Mog - I can see no connection between DT and Yes.  Theoretically, I get your point, but it does not translate like that at all to me. I grew up listening to Yes (and many many other classic prog bands).  As I pointed out earlier, there are parallels to KC in that there were a number of personnel and stylistic changes.  So dramatic in fact, that they could have (maybe SHOULD have) been called something else.  Being into great drummers as you are, you should not sell Alan White short.  What a monster.  Chops up the arse, but able to finesse the fuck out of a part.  All prog has an element of self indulgence, and the Jon Anderson + Rick Wakeman combo does have the potential for way-over-the-top SI.  I think the other members brought them back to earth.  Even so, comparing them to James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess is laughable.  There is so much heart in Yes' music, and ZERO in DT.

@ Crow - should I be hurt that you didn't read my posts?  Doors and I mentioned a ton of great Yes albums.  *pouts*

@ Budsy - Yes!

@ Doors - Rush is terrible?!  With your great taste in Yes, I am shocked.  Either you haven't given their best material the chance it deserves or we are wired quite differently.
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said

The Boss said

hellboy1975 said
I've never listened to Yes before, so looking forward to giving this a shot, and then Mog's criticism of my review...

It's kind of hard to not like YES, particularly from a TOOL fanboi perspective. I think we're all be in mutual appreciation.

We'll see I suppose.  I'm actually not a huge prog fan, I can't stand Rush for instance.  Still, i will go in with an open mind and hope that the vocals are as obnoxious as most prog bands.

So many things wrong with this
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan said
@ Mog - I can see no connection between DT and Yes.  Theoretically, I get your point, but it does not translate like that at all to me. I grew up listening to Yes (and many many other classic prog bands).  As I pointed out earlier, there are parallels to KC in that there were a number of personnel and stylistic changes.  So dramatic in fact, that they could have (maybe SHOULD have) been called something else.  Being into great drummers as you are, you should not sell Alan White short.  What a monster.  Chops up the arse, but able to finesse the fuck out of a part.  All prog has an element of self indulgence, and the Jon Anderson + Rick Wakeman combo does have the potential for way-over-the-top SI.  I think the other members brought them back to earth.  Even so, comparing them to James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess is laughable.  There is so much heart in Yes' music, and ZERO in DT.

@ Crow - should I be hurt that you didn't read my posts?  Doors and I mentioned a ton of great Yes albums.  *pouts*

@ Budsy - Yes!

@ Doors - Rush is terrible?!  With your great taste in Yes, I am shocked.  Either you haven't given their best material the chance it deserves or we are wired quite differently.

LOL, sorry brother - it was on the previous page, so I wasn't really considering it. And I was trying to get the thread back on track and generate some discussion.

Cheese: I know, right. Has Hellboi been contributing to this forum from his phone, rather than his computer, lately or something?
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yes has always been very hit and miss for me.  Fragile?  Awesome.  Close to the Edge?  No thank you.  Having said that, I'd never heard this one before and I liked it.

It's got probably my favorite ingredients in a song, good long jams that don't feel like long jams.  I like the vocals a lot but if anything it seemed to me at times like he was holding back.  Let it go man!  I don't know if I'm describing that right.  He seemed restrained at times, I guess.  Which is a weird thing to say about a voice that some people find annoying/grating.

Anyway, the whole thing is pretty damn good.  Very happy it's more Fragile than Edge.  Nice pick.

7/10
Hey! Denty!
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

thanks

go taff!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Finally getting to this one....

Always liked YES. This one didn't disappoint although some of it was not exactly to my liking.

Professor of Lesbian Science