Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
tys0n
Streeper

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tys0n »

mattw wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:38 am TOOL played Eulogy only once on their small set of shows in October 2017... Somewhere in Pennsylvania I think.
It was a few days after Chris Cornell necked himself, just speculating but I took it as a small backhanded tribute, like fuck you for killing yourself.

I'm fine if they don't play Eulogy again as I've already seen it, but fuck I want to see H. live and even worse I had the chance.
Canned audience laughter
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

Adam's guitar cut out towards the end of Stinkfist but they managed to keep the song going while he got another... Crowd cheered when he started playing again.

In Berlin his guitar string broke during Forty Six & 2. He was just in time to get a new guitar to play his heavy part in that song.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

thekillingjoke wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 pm The Lateralus era setlists were great!
The 10,000 Days era ones as well. Especially the 2nd leg after they started playing Wings/10,000 Days.

The current list was great for Europe for many fans seeing them either after 12/13 years of for new fans who never saw them before.

The 2nd leg? Play that album. In order or mixed, don't care.
For extra songs I am rooting for some of these: Lateralus, the Patient (never seen live before), jimmy. h., Right in Two, Rosetta Stoned and Flood.
Last edited by ms2r on Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

tys0n wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:47 am
mattw wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:38 am TOOL played Eulogy only once on their small set of shows in October 2017... Somewhere in Pennsylvania I think.
It was a few days after Chris Cornell necked himself, just speculating but I took it as a small backhanded tribute, like fuck you for killing yourself.

I'm fine if they don't play Eulogy again as I've already seen it, but fuck I want to see H. live and even worse I had the chance.
Same story for me. Had a chance to be at that 1st Sydney show where they played eulogy but It was in shitty seats. Seeing as I was going the next night and had floor I neglected to go. Eulogy got played night 1. Le sigh. But eulogy and H I would love to see both of them.
Listen to All Them Witches
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

May, not October

Tool. Eulogy Live Hershey, PA. May 25th, 2017. Giant Center.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/201 ... 7cbd3.html

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN TALKS RUNNING'S IMPACT ON "ODD" VOCAL RHYTHMS WITH SAMMY HAGAR

Tool frontman reveals high school roots of "strange" time-signature singing in new 'Rock & Roll Road Show' clip with former Van Halen vocalist

In a new episode of his Rock & Roll Road Trip With Sammy Hagar, the former Van Halen singer travels to Jerome, Arizona to meet up with Tool and A Perfect Circle frontman Maynard James Keenan at Keenan's Caduceus Cellars winery. The two have a sit-down and bring up Keenan's off-kilter sense of songwriting and where that penchant for unusual time signatures began.

"You have a phrasing ability that is genius," Hagar explains before going deeper into the advanced techniques used in Tool's music. Keenan's response reaches all the way back to high school for explanation.

"I remember running cross-country in high school, and everybody has their own breathing rhythms, right? It's just supposed to be in-out, right?" he asks. "I was actually running to the [footsteps]. So, if you're going over hills, or down hills, or in chuck-holes, or whatever, my breath would follow those rhythms."
https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/may ... ammy-hagar
- You like noisy music?
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Nice! Guys I managed to go to the only tool concert that got cancelled this tour! Fucking great! Talk about kicking yourself after not buying tickets to another show.

hey hellboy given your knowledge what’s your timeframe for a break, Maynard’s wine stuff and announcement for another tour?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

“But eulogy and H I would love to see both of them.” - Bogsty

How about “Heulogy” - a mashup where they play 30 seconds of each song, one after the other to completion?

And yes, H is very high on my list of Tool music I have yet to see live.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

H was my favorite TOOL song off Aenima for years. I took some age and the Lateralus album for me to really appreciate songs like Third Eye and Pushit. I was lucky enough to see H in 02' and what a set that was. Maynard had us all screaming " I don't mind" and then of course a few seconds later he decided to sing it. Recently did a listen on T.D.P. and was in shock to hear Wings after Triad and before Lateralus that night. What a fucking show it was!
All well Whatever, Nevermind
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

07/02/2019 - Altice Arena, Lisbon, Portugal

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/201 ... 15634.html

- You like noisy music?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Kittaan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:19 am “But eulogy and H I would love to see both of them.” - Bogsty

How about “Heulogy” - a mashup where they play 30 seconds of each song, one after the other to completion?

And yes, H is very high on my list of Tool music I have yet to see live.
Only if Huel from breaking bad sings it.

Shame that it's fairly apparent that most of us, if any, will see it live. Le sigh
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

ziggy23 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:54 am 07/02/2019 - Altice Arena, Lisbon, Portugal

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/201 ... 15634.html

Oh shit Adam played that different riff in invincible!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

ziggy23 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:23 am
MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN TALKS RUNNING'S IMPACT ON "ODD" VOCAL RHYTHMS WITH SAMMY HAGAR

Tool frontman reveals high school roots of "strange" time-signature singing in new 'Rock & Roll Road Show' clip with former Van Halen vocalist

In a new episode of his Rock & Roll Road Trip With Sammy Hagar, the former Van Halen singer travels to Jerome, Arizona to meet up with Tool and A Perfect Circle frontman Maynard James Keenan at Keenan's Caduceus Cellars winery. The two have a sit-down and bring up Keenan's off-kilter sense of songwriting and where that penchant for unusual time signatures began.

"You have a phrasing ability that is genius," Hagar explains before going deeper into the advanced techniques used in Tool's music. Keenan's response reaches all the way back to high school for explanation.

"I remember running cross-country in high school, and everybody has their own breathing rhythms, right? It's just supposed to be in-out, right?" he asks. "I was actually running to the [footsteps]. So, if you're going over hills, or down hills, or in chuck-holes, or whatever, my breath would follow those rhythms."
https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/may ... ammy-hagar
Maynard does have a good understanding of time although it is a shame he didn't mention how playing with Danny Carey helped expand that. Adam has mentioned a number of times how much he and Justin learned about polyrhythms/polymeters from playing with Danny. Danny elevated the entire band. Maynard has stood next to the greatest rock drummer on the planet for the last 28-29 years I am cannot imagine just seeing and hearing what Danny is doing on the drums night in night out could not have had an impact on him.

Can anyone actually remember the last time Maynard has even complemented a fellow band mate? I remember a fairly recent interview where Justin said Maynard was the best lead vocalist in rock or something along those lines.
The most intelligent person on this forum
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I read some dipshit comment on the youtubez where someone was crying because Maynard doesn't sing on the second half of Descending just go fuck right off Tool fans swinging on Maynard's nuts the song doesn't call for lyrics in the second half it isn't about Maynard at that point. The first half lyrics fit. The second half lyrics would make no sense and would sound out of place.

Fucking Maynard lovers I swear to god some of these motherfuckers think that arrogant little prick walks on water.

You could replace Maynard and Tool would still be Tool. The other three are far more important. Any number of vocalists can do what Maynard does and some even do it better. Very few in rock can do what Adam, Justin and Danny do musically.

Vocals are fucking overrated anyway all of Tool's best moments are instrumental sections.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

M0G wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:14 pm I read some dipshit comment on the youtubez where someone was crying because Maynard doesn't sing on the second half of Descending just go fuck right off Tool fans swinging on Maynard's nuts the song doesn't call for lyrics in the second half it isn't about Maynard at that point. The first half lyrics fit. The second half lyrics would make no sense and would sound out of place.

Fucking Maynard lovers I swear to god some of these motherfuckers think that arrogant little prick walks on water.

you could replace Maynard and Tool would still be Tool. The other three are far more important. Any number of vocalists can do what Maynard does and some even do it better. Very few in rock can do what Adam, Justin and Danny do musically.

Vocals are fucking overrated anyway all of Tool's best moments are instrumental sections.
Hahaha one of ya best mate
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:27 pm
M0G wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:14 pm I read some dipshit comment on the youtubez where someone was crying because Maynard doesn't sing on the second half of Descending just go fuck right off Tool fans swinging on Maynard's nuts the song doesn't call for lyrics in the second half it isn't about Maynard at that point. The first half lyrics fit. The second half lyrics would make no sense and would sound out of place.

you could replace Maynard and Tool would still be Tool. The other three are far more important. Any number of vocalists can do what Maynard does and some even do it better. Very few in rock can do what Adam, Justin and Danny do musically.

Hahaha one of ya best mate
I am dead fucking serious that isn't a troll
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Getting pissed because Maynard doesn't complement other band members in your hearing sounds like a troll to me. :)
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Oh I know you are, that's what makes it so funny. Take Maynard away from pushit and tell me that song reaches the same heights. Just coz you hate him doesn't mean you haven't fan boyed over that section
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Spoonman wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:53 pm I still hope (and dont believe a single moment) that they'll include a random Soundgarden cover.

I would die to hear either Tool playing Soundgarden or Soundgarden plaing Tool. Unfortunatly both
seems impossible.
Yeah I think Soundgarden playing tool is probably a better chance at this point sorry mate
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

A few other bits you need to know about the other night:

1) Listen to Maynard's voice in Aenema to open the show, or how he sings The Pot (e.g. 12:19) and Intolerance (1:03:00). The clip below here isn't the greatest audio quality once Danny cuts in with drums but I hope you can hear how strong Maynard sounds right now.

2) During Aenema, The Pot and 46 & 2, a mesh drops down in front of Adam and Justin that is used to display projected images, rather than use just the video screens at the back. When the screens at the back do kick in, it creates more of a 3-dimensional realm in which the band is contained. It's just really cool. A nice subtle addition. I think they might be building upon this in future tours.

3) Check out the proud pose the band holds for about 20 seconds at the end of 46 & 2 (1:21:40). It's just black and white and their silhouettes receive a massive applause from a very appreciative audience. It's just a really proud moment for them: playing 9 songs flat out over an hour and 20 minutes and all are high quality performances.

4) Try to pick the weakest performance or song of the 11 they played in Lisbon. You can say CCTrip but I'm not including that within the 11 full songs they trotted out. They are in 'good shape' right now.

M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:38 pm Oh I know you are, that's what makes it so funny. Take Maynard away from pushit and tell me that song reaches the same heights. Just coz you hate him doesn't mean you haven't fan boyed over that section
Absolutely Pushit could be instrumental only and be just as good.

And while yes I cannot stand Maynard however I am not saying Maynard isn't good at what he does. In fact Maynard is very good at what he does. I am simply saying he gets far too much credit in terms of being the face of Tool. His part in what they do is the smallest, always has been.

Tool is Adam, Justin and Danny that is what makes Tool a remarkable band. Maynard is a good vocalist and does his job well but the music is what is most important. I am so glad I listen to many instrumental bands so I am not hung up on the traditional notions of a singer being a necessary piece of a band because that just isn't the case at all. Some of the best bands on the planet are instrumental only.

Furthermore I have complimented Maynard on his performances on Descending and Invincible so me not liking Maynard as a person doesn't mean I am incapable of giving him credit or complimenting him when he performs well. I said he sounded fantastic on Intolerance during this tour. That said I firmly stand by what I said above. Maynard is the least important member of Tool in my opinion.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

M0G wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:14 pm You could replace Maynard and Tool would still be Tool. The other three are far more important. Any number of vocalists can do what Maynard does and some even do it better. Very few in rock can do what Adam, Justin and Danny do musically.

Sorry but I disagree here. Tool wouldn't still be Tool without Maynard. I can see what you are saying with regard to how strong the instrumental section of the band is or how good the chemistry is between Adam, Justin and Danny. But Maynard's lyrics and vocals do add that little bit extra to the songs.

Some of the lyrical themes he creates are just fucking cool. I love the concepts presented within 46 & 2, Lateralus, Third Eye, Pushit, The Grudge, Schism, Aenema and a few other songs. How he then performs those songs vocally is also pretty special.

I do agree with you that another vocalist could add some really cool stuff to what Adam, Justin and Danny come up with instrumentally but Tool have a pretty good recipe going with Maynard doing his thing here.

Ranking Maynard as the least important member of TOOL? Maybe you're right. But his Joe Rogan interview where he says something about the other band members laying the foundations and he comes in at the end to do the interior decorating is a pretty good analogy. I think he knows his place here.
Last edited by mattw on Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

Maynard started the band and continues to be integral to its sound and conceptualization.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Matt nailed it above. Tool musically is absolutely fucking incredible, but i see them all as equally important to their sound. Normally I'd say a vocalist of a successful band is the hardest to replace but in tools case I see them all as irreplaceable and equally important to the sound I love.