The Main Event
Tool_User
Optomist

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Tool_User »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am
Tool_User wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:04 am
xZ1mM3r wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:53 am

Gibson makes guitars. Adam has played a Gibson guitar for 3 decades in a very high profile and successful band. Gibson is right to recognize him. If that means a signature model then awesome. Good for both of them.

People buy Jordan's... they are just a signature model shoe... do you feel the same way about them?
Yeah I'm happy for him, didn't say I wasn't. As for the shoes, yeah I do actually. I find people spending a fortune on shit because it has a famous person's name attached to it insane. Life tip - buying Jordans doesn't make you like Jordan. So do you play guitar? Ever bought a signature model? Why?
fair point. and one that i mostly agree with.

and for the record:
i dont play guitar. and i own zero jordans. :lol:
Ah fair enough, sorry if I came across a bit short it's been a long week! I never played a signature model and always imagined it would sound exactly like whoever it's modelled on, so that must be a gimmick type thing? I know you could say the same about a strat etc but you can tweak the sound and if your gonna do that on a signature model then why get it in the first place? Probably some people just enjoy having them to play and admire.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Looks like Tool's facebook page is playing catch up now. They just posted the Opiate cover today.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

So the 10,000 Days album cover will likely post on Saturday, 10,000 days since the release of Opiate. I guess that makes some kind of sense within this pseudo countdown.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Tool_User wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:19 am I never played a signature model and always imagined it would sound exactly like whoever it's modelled on, so that must be a gimmick type thing? I know you could say the same about a strat etc but you can tweak the sound and if your gonna do that on a signature model then why get it in the first place? Probably some people just enjoy having them to play and admire.
It's mostly a "nice to have"-thing I suppose. A model that "sounds exactly like the artist" is probably even kind of rare, since signature products are designed and marketed to be affordable for fans as opposed to professional budgets. I have the DC signature snare, and while I can confirm it does NOT make me sound like him and the objective product quality can't really be near anything he has played in the last 20 years, I quite like it and would not want to trade it. Bottom line - it's all subjective.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

thekillingjoke wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:18 am
Tool_User wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:19 am I never played a signature model and always imagined it would sound exactly like whoever it's modelled on, so that must be a gimmick type thing? I know you could say the same about a strat etc but you can tweak the sound and if your gonna do that on a signature model then why get it in the first place? Probably some people just enjoy having them to play and admire.
It's mostly a "nice to have"-thing I suppose. A model that "sounds exactly like the artist" is probably even kind of rare, since signature products are designed and marketed to be affordable for fans as opposed to professional budgets. I have the DC signature snare, and while I can confirm it does NOT make me sound like him and the objective product quality can't really be near anything he has played in the last 20 years, I quite like it and would not want to trade it. Bottom line - it's all subjective.
Yeah I get where you are coming from. To be fair I always heard that tone is in the fingers anyway but wtf do I know I'm just curious.
Last edited by Tool_User on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Jack White actually toured recently or last year and only played with other players signature models. Van halens was one of them. I wonder what the thinking behind that was.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

"tone is in the fingers" - absolutely. The player is always the most important factor.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

🐐
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

There are two types of signature models, real deals and budgets. Danny's Ride is a real deal, Danny's Snare was a higher class budget, for some examples. ESP does real deal guitars (the same ones the artists use) and budget versions. The benefit to artists models is a lot of times there are custom things that would cost way more for you to do on your own. This way it is mass produced and easier to access.

A great example of the usefulness of signature models is the former Sonor Danny Carey Snare. Danny has been using a 14x8 Bronze snare forever. If you look these up there has only ever been about 3 on the retail market. The first was Sonor's Bronze Bell Snare from the late 80s. It was extremely limited and expensive. If that sound and size is something you want, it doesn't appear there were other options until 2009 when Sonor released their Bronze shell 14x8 signature model. In the last two or three years Ludwig also release a hammered bronze shell 14x8 (which is similar enough). Danny's ride is a good example too as you can't get the Signature Dry Heavy Rides anymore.

I am very interested in what Adam's potential guitar turns out to be. If it has the pickup selector routed so the top is a killswitch like his, that would be a neat feature. One of the special aspects of those guitars is the width of the bodies. The only comparable les paul style guitar I have seen is Bill Keliher's ESP model. I have heard the paint they used contributes to the tone too but I am sure it won't be the same.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Boldizar wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:35 am There are two types of signature models, real deals and budgets. Danny's Ride is a real deal, Danny's Snare was a higher class budget, for some examples. ESP does real deal guitars (the same ones the artists use) and budget versions. The benefit to artists models is a lot of times there are custom things that would cost way more for you to do on your own. This way it is mass produced and easier to access.

A great example of the usefulness of signature models is the former Sonor Danny Carey Snare. Danny has been using a 14x8 Bronze snare forever. If you look these up there has only ever been about 3 on the retail market. The first was Sonor's Bronze Bell Snare from the late 80s. It was extremely limited and expensive. If that sound and size is something you want, it doesn't appear there were other options until 2009 when Sonor released their Bronze shell 14x8 signature model. In the last two or three years Ludwig also release a hammered bronze shell 14x8 (which is similar enough). Danny's ride is a good example too as you can't get the Signature Dry Heavy Rides anymore.

I am very interested in what Adam's potential guitar turns out to be. If it has the pickup selector routed so the top is a killswitch like his, that would be a neat feature. One of the special aspects of those guitars is the width of the bodies. The only comparable les paul style guitar I have seen is Bill Keliher's ESP model. I have heard the paint they used contributes to the tone too but I am sure it won't be the same.
That was very interesting and informative, thanks! I didn't think of it as a good way to getting the custom parts cheaper. Although I can't imagine gibson do budget signature guitars so I'll bet Adams won't be cheap. Matt Bellamys custom mansion guitars look insane. They have chaos pads and all sorts built into them I bet you could have a lot of fun with one of those.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

thekillingjoke wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:30 am "tone is in the fingers" - absolutely. The player is always the most important factor.
No wonder stevie Ray Vaughan had such a killer tone then he had fingers like fuckin King Kong! He used to have to go back stage sometimes to super glue his finger nails back together because they were coming apart he played that hard.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

The DC snare was discontinued by Sonor after a few years, while other signature snares from the same era are still around. So it probably wasn't a big seller - but it seems to be collector's item, since it very rarely shows up on ebay, and last time I've seen it the asking price was more than twice the original retail price. So it seems to hit a particular, narrow niche very well.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

Holy shit. Within the last two hours the official Twitter account has caught up with the IG account! Makes me almost want to start a Twitter account and follow...
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

Some quite deep thoughts and assumptions from you all.
go taff!
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

@Boldizar thanks for the info!
I forgot my pen
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

thekillingjoke wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:52 am The DC snare was discontinued by Sonor after a few years, while other signature snares from the same era are still around. So it probably wasn't a big seller - but it seems to be collector's item, since it very rarely shows up on ebay, and last time I've seen it the asking price was more than twice the original retail price. So it seems to hit a particular, narrow niche very well.
Yea, it is not easy to come by now. I got super lucky a few months ago and snagged one dirt cheap. I just wish I had the box.
Danny wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:06 pm @Boldizar thanks for the info!
No problem.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Attachments
Image-1.jpg
Image-1.jpg (241.07 KiB) Viewed 7797 times
Deftones!
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

Sunday just may be the day. We shall see.
Yes, I am the same Greasy from the hubs (remember AMT?)

https://www.ebay.com/str/cgreinsky
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

joeypants wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:30 am My god, the excitement over these album postings! hahahaha christ, this band has done a number on their fan's minds. For real.

(but hey if it gets you off, enjoy)
:lol:
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
brianlikesmovies
My pain is just an excuse

Post by brianlikesmovies »

Yeah, I'm almost completely convinced we'll get 10,000 days tomorrow, and a title and artwork sunday. Just my 2 cents.
Whys it smell like bitch in here?
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

10,000 days obviously on Saturday...

...and then absolutely nothing on Sunday so as to build up the excitement even more. Fans will go crazy NOT knowing.

Then something new MONDAY to start the working week. But, seriously, watch how many people lose their shit when they don't get anything on Sunday. Going 35 to 45 hours without anything new added to Instagram will be excruciating for some people :)

EDIT: Also agree with what someone said about that Adam pic appearing in a magazine for promotion rather than my comment about the album sleeve. Makes more sense.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

Yeah I'm gonna call 10,000 Days artwork tomorrow night. A rolling simmer through Sunday. And then BALLS OUT mid-day Monday.

Only question is...artwork? packaging? formats? pre-sales? streaming? tracklisting? single? tour dates? website rollout :?:
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Here's a little something to ease that illusory pain:

"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I doubt Tool will update anything on Sunday being a Christian band and all.
Canned audience laughter
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

tys0n wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:51 pm I doubt Tool will update anything on Sunday being a Christian band and all.
Curveball
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom