Fear Inoculum

children
Metalologist

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by children »

I like to think that Maynard will one day revisit songs he said he would never sing again. Maybe he will stand by what he claimed, and that's fine too, as long as we get some official live recordings of those historical performances.

He put himself through a lot creating that music, so it was understandable for him to not want to open wounds that were still healing. Now that he has healed and reached a peaceful, stable place, maybe he feels up to singing those songs again. Mainly Prison Sex, Jimmy, H. Don't think he will ever touch Wings again, unfortunately.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

children wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 pm I like to think that Maynard will one day revisit songs he said he would never sing again. Maybe he will stand by what he claimed, and that's fine too, as long as we get some official live recordings of those historical performances.

He put himself through a lot creating that music, so it was understandable for him to not want to open wounds that were still healing. Now that he has healed and reached a peaceful, stable place, maybe he feels up to singing those songs again. Mainly Prison Sex, Jimmy, H. Don't think he will ever touch Wings again, unfortunately.
Call me cynical but I don't see him as the tortured artist. I reckon he is a pretty robust individual who has been extremely well compensated for sharing his pain with us.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

liz wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:36 pm Call me cynical but I don't see him as the tortured artist. I reckon he is a pretty robust individual who has been extremely well compensated for sharing his pain with us.
Yeah, I agree - I think his song choices are more about what he can sing, rather than the emotional connection to them.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I think he avoids certain songs just to give Mog the shits
Listen to All Them Witches
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

lukas wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:43 pmDiscuss

'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

5 "real" songs + 2 segues
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

When it is released, sure as shit , this will be a 'lights off' and 'headphone' experience.

^^^insert gif of stoner from 'dazed and confused' doing his "ok man" bit while finger gesturing 'like he understands'.
go taff!
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

BlackHole83 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:03 pm
ziggy23 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:50 pm I don't care at all about the first single or second or whatever. I'm too old for this shit.
I’ll take a single any day of the week. Send it this way. Never too old for anything music related.
I meant to say that I don't care which one will be the first - Descending or Invincible or smth else.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

budsyralli wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:47 am When it is released, sure as shit , this will be a 'lights off' and 'headphone' experience.

^^^insert gif of stoner from 'dazed and confused' doing his "ok man" bit while finger gesturing 'like he understands'.
I'm probably going to try my hand at some canibuss butter and make some pot cookies/brownies for the experience. Just put the album on repeat as I float into oblivion for 5+ hours. Haven't touched the stuff in over 5 years.

I was thinking of making a chicken kiev with the butter but it would probably taste like shit.

Edit: Just noticed my username lol
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Cannabutter works extremely well with Vegemite toast. Simple and easy to dose.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

^^^Do a fast. Butter(I'm Danish) on 'arrowroot' cookies.
go taff!
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

I’ll drop the offspring off at school. Swing by JB hi fi for the CD. Go to a isolated spot looking over the ocean and first listen will be in the car. Firstly sober, then later in the evening while blazing. Not far now, new album this month.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

BlackHole83 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:40 am I’ll drop the offspring off at school. Swing by JB hi fi for the CD. Go to a isolated spot looking over the ocean and first listen will be in the car. Firstly sober, then later in the evening while blazing. Not far now, new album this month.
i'll prob hear it when it leaks first. i cant wait, so ill be sitting right here first time around. once i get it at the store i thought something similiar. prob get a coffee or something and find a nice place to park and look through the artwork while listening to it. doesnt feel right if i just start driving around without sitting back with the album first after buying it. thats gonna be a memorable day!
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

limeygringo wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:55 pm
liz wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 pm He said he now brings 6 guitars where he used to bring 2 and that they now use Drop B for Prison Sex because its easier for Maynard to cut loose to.
Prison Sex has always been Drop B. That comment has got me curious, but they definitely didn't play it in Europe when this interview happened.
It was an error. The Pot is being played in drop D standard down a whole step to C for Maynard to "cut loose to". The other song he's referring to is the one they were playing which, similar to Prison Sex, has the lowest string tuned to B, but also the second lowest string to E, that being Parabol/a.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Boldizar wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:42 am
liz wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 pm He said he now brings 6 guitars where he used to bring 2 and that they now use Drop B for Prison Sex because its easier for Maynard to cut loose to.
Prison Sex has always been Drop B. That comment has got me curious, but they definitely didn't play it in Europe when this interview happened.
It was an error. The Pot is being played in drop D standard down a whole step to C for Maynard to "cut loose to". The other song he's referring to is the one they were playing which, similar to Prison Sex, has the lowest string tuned to B, but also the second lowest string to E, that being Parabol/a.
So much for Adam being the perfectionist. Or maybe he wasn't given copy to proof read...

Impressive sleuthing Boldizar!
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

F-IN
SteveBobSteve
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

liz wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 am

So much for Adam being the perfectionist. Or maybe he wasn't given copy to proof read...

Impressive sleuthing Boldizar!
I am interested to see if they have any odd tunings on this album too. It has been an "every other" sort of thing (by chance), so we are due for some more!
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

tys0n wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:23 am
budsyralli wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:47 am When it is released, sure as shit , this will be a 'lights off' and 'headphone' experience.

I'm probably going to try my hand at some canibuss butter and make some pot cookies/brownies for the experience. Just put the album on repeat as I float into oblivion for 5+ hours. Haven't touched the stuff in over 5 years.

I was thinking of making a chicken kiev with the butter but it would probably taste like shit.

Edit: Just noticed my username lol
Before you make the butter, soak the plant in water for a few days (changing the water every few hours). The water will take a lot of the taste and smell out of the plant. The more you let it soak, and change the water the better it will taste, and this will not effect the potency.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I do believe I'll be dropping some L for my first listen. Why not.

Edit: going to DMT land after first listen then back to it again. A fine Friday indeed!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:48 pm
M0G wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 pm
God I hope Invincible isn't the single if they do release one on Friday. Descending is infinitely better in every way.
Does it really matter that much? We get a studio single in the near future and then the entire album on August 30. What comes first is really not that important is it?
For me yeah because if they make it available for immediate download with a digital pre-order i would much rather listen to the studio version of Descending than Invincible for the next month.

I can't believe anyone prefers Invincible to Descending. Descending is a technical marvel. So many time changes Danny channeling his old Lateralus drumming level. Invincible is fantastic. Descending is a goddamn masterpiece.

And yes I am being positive for once no trolling here. After 13 years Descending is the exact song I hoped they would pull off. That level of technical prowess and almost half of the song being instrumental it is already on a short list of all time best Tool songs.

Bad feeling it will be Invincible though after all the shit I have talked about Tool over the last 6-7 years the cosmos is gonna pay me back with a big fuck you buddy.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

If they release Invincible as the single, you should try being thankful for what you have received instead of reflecting on what you haven't got.

There's a life lesson in there bro, is the path to happiness and all that hippy shit
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

He might have mis-spoke.
Back when Prison Sex was still regularly in the show (the 90's) Adam usually toured with 3 Les Pauls. 2 Silverbursts (main and spare), and a 3rd Les Paul with a different finish. It had more of a tan/orange hue to it, but I don't think it was a Sunburst, unless it had severely faded. I think it was just a natural finish of some kind. I'm sure there must be a photo of it somewhere online.
That 3rd one was often informally referred to as the "Prison Sex" guitar, because it was tuned to that B tuning, and may have had different gauge strings on it, as well.
When Parabol/a started getting played in the set on the Lateralus tour, the same guitar was used for that song.
There was a period of time when neither song was in the set ("10,000 Days" tour?), and the "Prison Sex" guitar didn't even come on the road.

At some point the alternate tuned "The Pot" and "Parabol/a" came back, but I don't know if he's using the "Prison Sex" guitar for either of those or if there is just a dedicated Silverburst in the rack for them. I haven't been looking that close, to be honest.

Given that informal name, maybe Adam was just referring to that name more so than the actual song.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

How long have you been touring with the band for Jnr?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:04 pm If they release Invincible as the single, you should try being thankful for what you have received instead of reflecting on what you haven't got.

There's a life lesson in there bro, is the path to happiness and all that hippy shit
Na fuck that glass half empty is the only way to fly

Plus fuck that I am not thanking Tool for shit this is a transaction. Product goes up I hit purchase that is the extent of my feeling toward this band. They should be thanking me since I will be buying the entire back catalogue on both ITunes and Amazon so those fucks will be getting at least a 100 bucks from me tomorrow. Figure each album gonna be at least 9.99..Opiate maybe less. So about 50 per service. Plus if the album is actually available for preorder add that in.

So a thank you? NEVER
The most intelligent person on this forum
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:10 pm How long have you been touring with the band for Jnr?
Since 1996 I guess.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.