Maynard Believer

Re: Fear Inoculum with SPOILERS

Post by datm »

Still trying to find it
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Fear Inoculum is probably the weakest song on here. It's really good, but I still think lacking a real crescendo in the second half hurts it.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

The “autotune” to start the third act of Invincible resonates with me the same as the Grudge scream. I’m dumb and not sure how else to describe it. Beautiful, harrowing, impactful. I say that to say the album is reflective, immersive, introspective, and woven. Emotional yet subtle and layered. I’ll stop. Cheers.
myke
Maynard Believer

Post by myke »

It's pretty good for it being 13 years. One thing that I don't understand though is the exclusion of bass for the first half of Culling Voices, Maybe Justin is playing one of the guitars? Either way this is the weakest track for sure, very Mer De Noms APC, seems like its missing something. Like it could of been a great track for some weird samples Danny has, similar to Triad, missed opportunity. 7empest sounds like a reworked extended version of Flood, pretty badass. Pneuma, Descending, and Invincible shine.

Favorite Tracks in order:
1. Pneuma
2. Descending
3. Invincible
4. 7empest
5. Fear Inoculum
6. Culling Voices

I like CCTrip but excluding it for obvious reasons, more of a segue.

One major concern is all the clipping I am hearing. Hopefully it's just from whatever program they used to rip the files and isn't on the official release.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Is clipping the same as audio jumps/glitches or just loudness? Cuz I do hear a few skips throughout the leak.

besides that I think this is their best sounding release. I can hear each instrument so well. The headphone listen really made a huge difference in hearing the atmosphere.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Canned audience laughter
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Damn that looks beautiful still not clicking
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Looks like prop from a Harry Potter film.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Nicked
Maynard Believer

Post by Nicked »

i still cant get culling voices... can someone send me a working version of culling voices please?
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

Love the use of the fractals!
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Takeo wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:26 pm The “autotune” to start the third act of Invincible resonates with me the same as the Grudge scream. I’m dumb and not sure how else to describe it. Beautiful, harrowing, impactful. I say that to say the album is reflective, immersive, introspective, and woven. Emotional yet subtle and layered. I’ll stop. Cheers.
It's more of a vocoder than an autotune. Autotune is blending that sound with the voice with the purpose of hiding pitch mistakes. Sounds more robotic here on purpose. We Are The Robots, mofo! :D

And yes, it is brilliant
Last edited by limeygringo on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
JooP
Maynard Believer

Post by JooP »

This album is a beast! Fucking wow!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Mmmmmm dat bass at the start of Pneuma
Canned audience laughter
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Top notch, first listen was great. It's their slowest and most ethereal record, but in the best possible ways. It's their shiniest album, but it fucking sludges and spins. Maynard's delivery is perfect, plus the band's aggressiveness they practically scream for him, you don't miss the screams. Not that that ever mattered too me much, it's just one factor. Adam definitely steps it up, Justin kills it and Danny just conjures up that magic. I just felt like every song was Third Eye good.

Salival is what I typically say is my favorite because I juggle between Ænima and Lateralus, plus the live show is where it really is at with this band, and I see their catalog and the production that goes into them as pluses. I might rank this 2nd below that, but I still need to hear the segues ;)

I do have questions. Are Adam and Maynard (or anyone else) playing guitar together on Culling Voices? Or is Adam looping? Guess no one knows right now, sounded impossible to play by one person, but I wasn't listening as much as feeling the first time through. Given the double layers on Descending and other tracks with guitar, I just wanna see Buzz join Tool and play those parts with Adam. Not that it needs it that badly, but I loved You Lied and No Quarter with the lead harmonies. Either way, we got 7empest and it ties everything together so damn well. Danny always emphasized the importance of climaxes in Tool songs, and that track is just quintessential Tool climax. I just wanna hear it again, but patience is a virtue, and I have an new Isley Brothers vinyl to spin.

A+, top notch Tool record, The Boys are Back
Ahhh, Infotainment!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

I feel the same way about the live shows being where it's at with them. The albums just give the songs context. All music can be looked at as advertisements to get people to come to the live performances. Most bands miss the mark when it comes to a live performance imo. I have discovered a deep love for live recordings from all of the greatest artists I can find and now that the new album is out I am just so glad that we are that much closer to Salival part 2.

I only hope Adam or somebody might have been doing a little work on that throughout the last decade and that they will put it out in the next year or so with the videos of Opiate and The Pot. Salival and the tracks from the Undertow singles are not enough to do Tool justice.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

how does everyone feel about MJKs vocoder part in invincible?
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

To be honest I am still getting used to that part. Doesn't sound bad really, but I had heard the live version so much that when that part was so drastically different, it threw me off. I have only heard the album version about 3 or 4 times now so I need to keep listening. Speaking of, I just got off work so was about to smoke and dive back in.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

My son (who is much stronger then me) only listened to Invincible (since he heard the live version) thinks the album version has less impact than the live version. The auto-tuning as he called it wasn't needed he thought.
For me it was unexpected as well but kinda cool an album version can still surprise you.
tys0n wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:38 pm Mmmmmm dat bass at the start of Pneuma
It is awesomesauce. Also goosebumping when they return to that line later in the song. Pneuma gives me goosebumps at various moments and I can't pinpoint why.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Yeah I like to have a studio version and a live version with slight differences. I think a live version should be more of an organic sound and a studio version much more clean and polished. I am going with the assumption that the last tour was recorded and will one day be on an album. Maynard was singing all the songs in a new way with unique inflections than on the album versions and I think that is because he knows it's for a recording
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Sacrilege but Invincible is the only track I'm not vibing with at the moment.
Canned audience laughter
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

Well finally busted my Cherry. Getting ready for my second run. Just waiting for the kids to go to bed so I can, umm take my medicine 😁
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Fuck it, I cannae wait any longer. Sorry to be a pain but I'm one of those computer retards.. I don't have an account on pirate bay or any experience downloading stuff. I would however like to download the new tool album and play it on my phone so if anyone could point me in the right direction or message me a link I'd be most grateful. Thanks in advance.
Without_a_skin_here
Maynard Believer

Post by Without_a_skin_here »

It is def. a slow burner. The guitar solo on 7empest is from another world. Def. a different album with its own atmosphere. Can't wait for seques to tie them all together.
SoMuchChub
My pain is just an excuse

Post by SoMuchChub »

Pneuma, Descending and Culling Voices are all great. Invincible, Tempest and the title track are all okay.

The album lacks a little diversity. It'll be a grower but I don't think there's a "classic" Tool song on here that will be held in regard with their best stuff.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Just started listening to the album... Wow. Descending sounds so good. I so wanted to hold out but really never stood a chance.
Be good to each other.