Fear Inoculum

DoomedStar
Maynard Believer

Re: Fear Inoculum with SPOILERS

Post by DoomedStar »

I feel like this had the potential to be a epic album but whoever mixed it did a horrible job. So many areas where the drums and bass were too soft compared to Adams guitar. Vocals are either too loud or way too soft and muffled. The classic background sound effects that Tool has in songs was way too quiet. Descending live on a YouTube recording is a million times better the actual release... I’m a die hard Tool fan and love all their music but I just feel like we missed out on a epic album here because of some crappie mixing or whatever in the production phase on this one. Could have been epic :-(
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

I just realized I can go back and watch the live versions of Descending and Invincible now. :D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

nxrm wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:17 pm I just realized I can go back and watch the live versions of Descending and Invincible now. :D
Glad you’re enjoying this!
What a ride!
Look forward to hearing Bill’s thoughts and feelings on his
listening experience.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

nxrm wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:17 pm I just realized I can go back and watch the live versions of Descending and Invincible now. :D
And CCTrip too :mrgreen:
- You like noisy music?
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Specter wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:22 pm
Glad you’re enjoying this!
What a ride!
Look forward to hearing Bill’s thoughts and feelings on his
listening experience.
Definitely looking forward to reading about Bill's first listen too. Hope he's diggin' it.
ziggy23 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:33 pm
And CCTrip too :mrgreen:
Turns out this was the one song/segue I'd heard before the album was released. Danny played a version of it at Glen Helen in 2017.

Danny could have kept that track going for a little bit longer. I wouldn't mind at all. :D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by ziggy23 »

TOOL’s “Fear Inoculum” Pacing For 220-240K US Sales, 240-260K Total US Units
“Fear Inoculum” will be the week’s best-selling debut.

https://headlineplanet.com/home/2019/08 ... -us-units/
- You like noisy music?
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by snazzlefrass »

Cheese?
SteveBobSteve
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

DoomedStar wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:42 am I feel like this had the potential to be a epic album but whoever mixed it did a horrible job. So many areas where the drums and bass were too soft compared to Adams guitar. Vocals are either too loud or way too soft and muffled. The classic background sound effects that Tool has in songs was way too quiet. Descending live on a YouTube recording is a million times better the actual release... I’m a die hard Tool fan and love all their music but I just feel like we missed out on a epic album here because of some crappie mixing or whatever in the production phase on this one. Could have been epic :-(
To each their own, I suppose.
I think Joe Barresi did a spectacular job mixing this album. Everything is spacious and has room to be heard.

Out of curiosity, what means of delivery are you using? (CD, MP3, etc)
In my experience, some of the compressed formats are a bit underwhelming, but that's more to do with the format than the mix.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

I think it is mixed properly to my ears.
Very warm and crisp.
Yet to hear through headphones- that comes next.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Excellent definition and separation in this mix. Everything in its own band and placed well in my opinion. I enjoy the differences in listening through great speakers and headphones. Very different experience.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

I’m looking forward to the headphone experience.
Glad you're liking Ki77aan.
Keep enjoying!
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

the 24 bit version has a little more seperation and detail that pops out at you a bit. (with headphones i notice this) the old albums that were released in 24 bit dont sound any better to me. its just somewhat louder. FI is nice though. sometimes i find the 16 bit of FI gives adam a little more crunch so both are good. im mostly always listening with headphones. on my speakers upstairs the cd version/16bit,whatever you want to call it sounds great and of course so does the 24.

the mix/mastering is the most important thing i think. its well produced!. danny pops out at you etc etc..if somethings overly compressed,shitty mix, it ruins it no matter what bit shit you got :)
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

What?
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

I just can’t help but think there is more to all this. I’m not trying to sound greedy, I seriously can’t shake the feeling that this isn’t it. They had full opportunity to make this a double album to fit all the songs on the discs but they didn’t. Yet the main picture for this album has two beings attached to each other. One light, one dark. Unless the beings are fear and inoculum. The main image they are using to promote this release is one image of the downward spiral but it’s mirrored. Why would they do that? Then at the end of the album is the tempest coming. Is that it he just comes? The whole cd was about ridding the negativity and the tempest still comes anyway. Is it just meant to loop?

But then I look at the torch, is that them passing it on? Then I watch the video and go cross eyed what the fuck is that all about?
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Holy Mackerel. That was a 7ucking ride! I honestly was not expecting this record to sound so good. I went into this first listen completely blind. No live songs on Youtube, no single, no reviews. I was expecting a decent album on par with 10,000 Days. I was very wrong making that assumption. Every song is pretty incredibly written. Maynard effortlessly weaves in and out of the compositions. The production on this album! Evil Joe outdid himself on this one. That's all I got for now. I think I'm going back in for a second listen.

Pneuma!

...And hearing Invincible for the first time tonight! You guys weren't kidding about that song.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Danny wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:08 am
I see now what Danny meant when he said “Fuck dude me and my bandmates fuckin fucked ...”
:lol:

Now, I have a lot of reading to do. THIS is on page 1.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Bill Hilly wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:49 pm Holy Mackerel. That was a 7ucking ride! I honestly was not expecting this record to sound so good. I went into this first listen completely blind. No live songs on Youtube, no single, no reviews. I was expecting a decent album on par with 10,000 Days. I was very wrong making that assumption. Every song is pretty incredibly written. Maynard effortlessly weaves in and out of the compositions. The production on this album! Evil Joe outdid himself on this one. That's all I got for now. I think I'm going back in for a second listen.

Pneuma!

...And hearing Invincible for the first time tonight! You guys weren't kidding about that song.
❤️
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Specter wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:16 pm ❤️

We made it to the end Specter. Sorry for no SE shows for this tour!
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Takeo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:38 am I’m starting to tune out about halfway through each song. They’re too long. Need more Maynard, tighter direction, less jammy. The songs are missing that climactic release of tension. They set a theme, tease, and then gradually unwind and meander which can be creative in one sense, boring in another.
This is exactly why I love it so much on first listen. This is their jam-band album. Jam the fuck out Tool!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Bill Hilly wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:49 pm Holy Mackerel. That was a 7ucking ride! I honestly was not expecting this record to sound so good. I went into this first listen completely blind. No live songs on Youtube, no single, no reviews. I was expecting a decent album on par with 10,000 Days. I was very wrong making that assumption. Every song is pretty incredibly written. Maynard effortlessly weaves in and out of the compositions. The production on this album! Evil Joe outdid himself on this one. That's all I got for now. I think I'm going back in for a second listen.

Pneuma!

And the really cool thing is I've listened now over a dozen times and it doesn't get old! Welcome back Billy.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Thanks Liz.

Man, there's some gold in this thread. Thanks for the laughs Tool_User. That's all I'm going to say because it looks like you've already been roasted pretty good.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

nxrm wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:26 am
ziggy23 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:25 am Hey, dude, I'd like to see your face during listening to the album for the first time!! Hahaha)
I think it was something along these lines. :lol:

This was me fist pumping on my couch when Pneuma came on tonight.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Bill Hilly wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm Thanks Liz.

Man, there's some gold in this thread. Thanks for the laughs Tool_User. That's all I'm going to say because it looks like you've already been roasted pretty good.
Welcome back to civilization Bill!
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Thanks Boldizar! This was a great quote, btw:
Boldizar wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:49 am This is the Tool that wrote Lateralus.