New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

The Main Event
children
Metalologist

Re: New Album Touring

Post by children »

That is probably the exact set list lol! I hope they play the whole album. I am more excited to hear these songs live in person than I was to hear the studio album. Pneuma live OMG!!
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
sonnyboy11
Bronco's Fan

Post by sonnyboy11 »

Tool has been pretty good in the past about playing at least one song from every full length record during their set. I see a lot of speculative setlists that don't take that into account. I believe at least one of these songs from each of their earlier albums each will be played - Intolerance/Sober, Ænema/Stinkfist, Parabola/Schism, Jambi/The Pot/Vicarious.

For the Fear Inoculum songs, I think initially it will be the title track/Descending/Invincible and possibly Pnuema. I'd love to see 7empest in there, but don't think it will be ready yet for live performance. Hope I am wrong. Also, I'd love Right In Two off 10k Days instead of the two I listed, but that is very unlikely (but not as unlikely as Jimmy, Wings/10k or Prison Sex).
tompie
My pain is just an excuse

Post by tompie »

I think we are getting an undertow song instead of culling voices and another 10k days song instead of tempest
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

No way they are no playing 7empest each show.
Canned audience laughter
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Yup they are definitely playing 7empest maybe even open with it! Fire the crowd up right away. I haven’t been lucky enough to see these tunes but always loved Third Eye and No Quarter as openers.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
tompie

Post by tompie »

idk y'all i'm feeling a 10k days kind of situation with tempest, might bust it out eventually but won't be a main stay.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Zim, did you end up getting tickets for Denver? I'll be there for Night 2.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

tys0n wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:33 pm No way they are no playing 7empest each show.
7his.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Without 7empest you well probably see 46&2 plus Vicarious in the setlist.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

if you think they wont be playing Tempest each show i say b.s on that! they better. f that if they dont. vicarous is maah so please dont play that. i can handle some of the other staples. schism im sick of to but big arena bands always play bigger hits.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Plus Schism extended is always a nice thing.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

ms2r wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:41 pm Plus Schism extended is always a nice thing.
thats the only part i dont mind hearing anymore :P
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Adam basically said they were doing Tempest on the Jericho podcast. Why wound you want Tempest as an opener? That kills the feel of the track. Same goes for Third Eye openings.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Mid set with a guest vocalist
Canned audience laughter
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Bill Hilly wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:57 pm
tys0n wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:33 pm No way they are no playing 7empest each show.
7his.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

tys0n wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:49 am Mid set with a guest vocalist
PTSD flashbacks to that horrible version of Reflection.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Funny what Maynard said about them playing full albums live on JRE, that Tool albums were never intended to be played in sequence. But with this album you really do get that vibe. Guess we'll find out in October.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

This is definitely the most cohesive album they've done.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Boldizar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 am This is definitely the most cohesive album they've done.
I can’t be bothered going back to check, but seems like you’ve evolved quite a bit from your first impressions of FI?

For myself, I remember digging most songs from the first spin, but having a little trouble processing it all. So much hype was built over 13 years... after that first ride hearing it twice through, I was hooked. Hundreds of listens later and it still draws me in, uncovering layers like a prog-metal onion. Haven’t really touched any older albums since the FI single dropped and I beat that dead horse for weeks.

Starting today I’m going to take a page from some others who went straight through the catalog from the beginning. Give FI a break and listen to the old shit with new ears. Palate cleanser. Also, quite interested to hear these subtle remastering changes people have been mentioning.

Very interested to see how that might change my take on Fear Inoculum when it comes around in that cycle.
Ki77aan :twisted:
GabesCaves

Post by GabesCaves »

sonnyboy11 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 pm Tool has been pretty good in the past about playing at least one song from every full length record during their set. I see a lot of speculative setlists that don't take that into account. I believe at least one of these songs from each of their earlier albums each will be played - Intolerance/Sober, Ænema/Stinkfist, Parabola/Schism, Jambi/The Pot/Vicarious.

For the Fear Inoculum songs, I think initially it will be the title track/Descending/Invincible and possibly Pnuema. I'd love to see 7empest in there, but don't think it will be ready yet for live performance. Hope I am wrong. Also, I'd love Right In Two off 10k Days instead of the two I listed, but that is very unlikely (but not as unlikely as Jimmy, Wings/10k or Prison Sex).
Didnt they go a long time not playing anything on Undertow? They only started playing from it again only the last year or so?
sonnyboy11
Bronco's Fan

Post by sonnyboy11 »

GabesCaves wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:24 pm
sonnyboy11 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 pm Tool has been pretty good in the past about playing at least one song from every full length record during their set. I see a lot of speculative setlists that don't take that into account. I believe at least one of these songs from each of their earlier albums each will be played - Intolerance/Sober, Ænema/Stinkfist, Parabola/Schism, Jambi/The Pot/Vicarious.

Didnt they go a long time not playing anything on Undertow? They only started playing from it again only the last year or so?
Sober was in the set list quite a bit around 2006/early 10k Days. Then Flood was a mainstay starting around 2007. Intolerance came in some time around 2010 I believe. You are right that not every set has an Undertow song in it. But many do. And recently it's a regular occurrence.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

No. They played Intolerance, Sober, Swamp Song, and Flood at different periods during and after the 2006 tour.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Kittaan wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 am
Boldizar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 am This is definitely the most cohesive album they've done.
I can’t be bothered going back to check, but seems like you’ve evolved quite a bit from your first impressions of FI?
I approach things generally with my smock and goggles on, ready for the shit most things tend to be. When things turn out to be not shit it is even better. I approached Descending and Invincible the same way and with those I was only thinking, "um....?" for the first 6 hours the bootlegs existed or something. I have loved those songs since. That worried me because it wasn't that they were just good, but they were great and that was a high bar to ride to uncertainty.

When Fear Inoculum was released I wasn't impressed. However, most of the issues I had came from the streaming version quality. Once I got the mp3 and flac it was much, much better. I also recalled that Danny had different hi hats on his recording kit, which is why they sound thinner and darker (Personally I still hate this because to me that perfect hi hat sound are the Paiste signatures he's always used--even the Dark whatever Paiste's he used on the Volto! album were good--but it is whatever).

Once the leak came out I was listening non-stop (still haven't stopped). I guess my initial reactions were just flat, which is good. I had some minor things, like laughing at the Descending solo harmony because it sounds like Iron Maiden/Metallica tone, but that is all trivial stuff. I mostly just liked it more and more as the week went on.

The cohesive element that brought the whole album together was getting the full CD release on the 30th. I know people discount physical packaging, but this case was probably the best and most relevant CD package any one has ever made. There is a solid tonal statement the art collected and presented is making. The video/audio is thematically related to the idea of the album and is a purposeful lead-in to the music.

My bar was I was looking for something better than 10,000 Days (which I really don't care for in any personal way--the one Tool album that is completely forgettable) and over and over this album kept doing similar things, better things, and not messing up the way Days did, musically and in presentation. This went above and beyond my expectations and nestled right next to Lateralus as something different, but just as powerful.

Overall, I am really happy with my exposure to this album over its release period and it would not have been the same had I just waited until release day.
GabesCaves

Post by GabesCaves »

sonnyboy11 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:33 pm
GabesCaves wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Sober was in the set list quite a bit around 2006/early 10k Days. Then Flood was a mainstay starting around 2007. Intolerance came in some time around 2010 I believe. You are right that not every set has an Undertow song in it. But many do. And recently it's a regular occurrence.

I got curious so I checked their tour stats on setlist.fm, not perfect but maybe a fair representation.

Undertow and 10000 Days are just about tied for 3rd place, at about 1560 times a song from each has been performed. Considering how much longer Undertow has been out, that's pretty interesting.

Songs from Undertow haven't been played too much recently until 2019.

Sober- Most often song performed from Undertow. Before this year it was played at the 2 festivals in 2018 (not looking at the non Maynard instrumental shows) and then 5 times in 2014. It was completely skipped 2017 and 2016.

Next most often is Prison Sex, but not played since 2001

Flood not played since 2011

Intolerance- before 2019, not since 2011.

Swamp Song- 2007

Undertow and 4 degrees - 2002

Bottom and Crawl Away - 1998

Glad I drove all the way to Poughkeepsie in 1997 to see Crawl Away, worth it!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Bring back 4 Degrees!
Canned audience laughter