Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by tys0n »

Any word on the VIP events?
Canned audience laughter
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

yeah they give out a swag bag hoodie and backpack looks pretty nice. they nearly didnt do a sound check in denver due to logistics but ended up letting people in for Fear Inoculum then did group photo.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Longer set right? That’s great if true! But agree unfortunately they should play more new stuff. Vicarious is the worst song on that album, any other one I’d be fine with. But yeah descending should be the show closer every time, or lateralus, but don’t drop it from the set. Every Tool show should have a gong smash!
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

hellboy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:48 am Stage show looks cool. Nice to see Danny in the middle. What's up with the multi platforms? Does Maynard roam the stage? Adam does a scissor jump off one?

Descending missing from the setlist is a strange choice indeed. Would very happily trade one or more of The Pot, Parabola and Intolerance for it. Most in fact most of their songs that aren't Aenema.
Yeah, Maynard roamed around a bit- sometimes behind Danny and other times in front of the kit. Was probably the most active I’ve ever seen the guy on an arena stage.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Just here to reiterate what a terribly stale and boring setlist this is. Nobody gives two shits about Schism, Vicarious, Intolerance or Parabola. And where is Descending?! I realize you have to keep some of the staples but how about dusting off some old gems like Flood, Rosetta Stoned or Cold and Ugly? Damn.
cahernandez
My pain is just an excuse

Post by cahernandez »

I read on the Echoing the Sound message board that there were speakers all over the arena, kind of like what Roger Waters does, Junior, can you confirm this? It'd be reaaally cool to hear Tool like this, although I didn't manage to get a ticket to a show close to me.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

cahernandez wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 am I read on the Echoing the Sound message board that there were speakers all over the arena, kind of like what Roger Waters does, Junior, can you confirm this? It'd be reaaally cool to hear Tool like this, although I didn't manage to get a ticket to a show close to me.
That was me on on ETS! And yeah, some clarification (whether from the band or Junior) on what they’re trying to accomplish with the sound would be cool. There were/are speakers all over the Pepsi Center. Even at the mix (or right behind it) is a beam for speaker support.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Maybe they want the sound to be just right before they play Descending and 7empest live. First shows are a test run of the new speaker placements?

PS - Stop your whingeing and whining about the setlist for fuck sake.
Professor of Lesbian Science
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Ahhh set list whining, takes me back to the previous tours before the new album

Also Descending sounded pretty fucking rad during the European tour, probably just Maynard not wanting the spotlight off him as per usual.
Canned audience laughter
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

fortysixand2 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 am Just here to reiterate what a terribly stale and boring setlist this is. Nobody gives two shits about Schism, Vicarious, Intolerance or Parabola. And where is Descending?! I realize you have to keep some of the staples but how about dusting off some old gems like Flood, Rosetta Stoned or Cold and Ugly? Damn.
You are entitled to your opinion, but that Denver night one setlist seems pretty solid. I am guessing they will be rotating in 7empest and Descending at some point. Hoping San Antonio or Houston gets an Alex Grey poster...
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

cahernandez wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 am I read on the Echoing the Sound message board that there were speakers all over the arena, kind of like what Roger Waters does, Junior, can you confirm this? It'd be reaaally cool to hear Tool like this, although I didn't manage to get a ticket to a show close to me.
Yeah. The sound department is experimenting with a new "atmospheric" set up. It's different from normal surround, but similar. Closer to the Atmos sound that cinemas have been using the past few years.
It's mostly being used for effects moments, like the sound effects Danny plays on his pads (opening of "Fear", and "Vicarious", etc. and some tabla stuff. There might be some vocal delays, too. They're still adding stuff to it. I know there were some effects from at least one Justin solo last night, too.
There's a separate sound console for it to the left of our FOH engineer (a small digital Midas console).
There are 6 additional speaker hangs out over the audience.

It "should" be at all of the shows on this run, time and space allowing. It adds some time to the load and needs to be able to be flown high enough to not obstruct sight lines, so it might not work in some venues.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

fortysixand2 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 am Nobody gives two shits about Schism, Vicarious, Intolerance or Parabola.
Apparently the band does...
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

Ettan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:58 am When I saw Iron Maiden back in 2007 (for the first time), they played their brand new album all the way through then did an encore with the hits. Didn't bother me at all.
I saw that tour, as well.
I can admire what they did there, but as more of a fan of their older stuff I was a little lost during most of that one.
To each their own.
I saw Neil Young do something similar on his "Greendale" tour. Played the new album in order, took a 20 minute break and then played 45 minutes of his classics.
A lot of his crowd were "impatient", to say the least.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Bob - don’t be silly, go see Tool live while you can, ay?

@ Whiners - STFU. But yeah, I’m hoping for Descending/7empest at least once in LA... if not, still going to be epic.

@ Junior - Thanks for the interesting details. Can’t wait to experience the results as they get dialed in.
Ki77aan :twisted:
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

aah ya, i prob will but toronto was pretty pricey and ive heard a lot of those songs many times. it could change but past history says it most likely wont change that much :/ will see.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

junior wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm
Ettan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:58 am When I saw Iron Maiden back in 2007 (for the first time), they played their brand new album all the way through then did an encore with the hits. Didn't bother me at all.
I saw that tour, as well.
I can admire what they did there, but as more of a fan of their older stuff I was a little lost during most of that one.
To each their own.
I saw Neil Young do something similar on his "Greendale" tour. Played the new album in order, took a 20 minute break and then played 45 minutes of his classics.
A lot of his crowd were "impatient", to say the least.
Porcupine Tree toured Fear of a Blank Planet start to finish before they recorded it (iirc) brief intermission, then a good long set of classics. I don’t think anyone in attendance was disappointed. Would LOVE Tool to at least do a few shows where they play FI in its entirety, including segues, but hold out little hope of that. I would travel just about anywhere to experience that. This album is very special.
Ki77aan :twisted:
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Thing is Tool fans, of which recent sales would suggest there are at least several, have waited 13 years to hear some new tunes. Not a stretch to imagine that at the tour following said release they might like to hear more than a couple of the new tracks. If they are practicing on the US audience before bringing a more complete FI tour downunder then I have no whinging to add. :)
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

junior wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:55 pm
fortysixand2 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 am Nobody gives two shits about Schism, Vicarious, Intolerance or Parabola.
Apparently the band does...
AHHAHAHAHAHAAHA. Tell em Junior!
Listen to All Them Witches
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

To those whinging about the lack of new songs, it's not really that hard to understand. We here are on a Tool forum so stands to reason we all love the band and have for the majority seen them live previously. Not everyone is in this position however and may have fallen in love with them 5 years ago because they heard schism or vicarious or stinkfist.

That then opened the door for them to the band and you better believe they would be itching to hear the song live that got them into them.

Of course I would love to hear the new album in its entirety but that's essentially a selfish viewpoint. By pissing and moaning about the lack of new songs you are effectively showing how selfish we can all be . Yes YOU want nothing but new songs but not everyone in that 8000 crowd feels the same. Deal with it.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:25 pm To those whinging about the lack of new songs, it's not really that hard to understand. We here are on a Tool forum so stands to reason we all love the band and have for the majority seen them live previously. Not everyone is in this position however and may have fallen in love with them 5 years ago because they heard schism or vicarious or stinkfist.

That then opened the door for them to the band and you better believe they would be itching to hear the song live that got them into them.

Of course I would love to hear the new album in its entirety but that's essentially a selfish viewpoint. By pissing and moaning about the lack of new songs you are effectively showing how selfish we can all be . Yes YOU want nothing but new songs but not everyone in that 8000 crowd feels the same. Deal with it.
How dare you put the few new casual fans needs above my own? Outrageous!

Makes far more sense that as well as having a reasonably mature fan base, that new fans would certainly have been listening to the new album. Fuck catering for the 10% who have heard a couple of songs and thought they might be kinda cool to see.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Haha!

You lot are far to busy complaining about what you haven't got instead of being thankful for what you do have. Here read this. First article I found from a quick Google search.

. https://www.wanderlustworker.com/7-cruc ... your-life/
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 pm Haha!

You lot are far to busy complaining about what you haven't got instead of being thankful for what you do have. Here read this. First article I found from a quick Google search.

I am gratified to know that Junior will probably send our thoughts back to the beings themselves, and if they don't come downunder with a revised setlist I will be further gratified to feel that all prior and subsequent whinging will have been completely justified.

Hows that for gratitude? :lol:
Last edited by liz on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

If at any moment at a Tool show you feel yourself being disappointed in hearing any of the greatest hits numbers, perhaps you should re-think your approach of living your life.

Of course we all have songs we want to see live and hearing the whole album would be great, but anyone actually expecting that was setting themselves up for disappointment.

I never get tired of hearing any of the songs live because 1) seeing Tool live is a limited thing that will not exist forever in this world and I cherish every second of being able to experience it and 2) no two performances of a single song are ever the same and they are getting better at playing them all the time so you should just enjoy being able to witness the magic that happens between these four incredible alchemists.

Just being in the presence of a Tool show is enough for me. There is a natural mystic flowing through the air that infects everybody (well almost everybody apparently, can't win em' all). For Christ's sake, people, they are playing Pneuma. How can anyone be upset?
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

i am whining but its only because i love descending so much.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

liz wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm
Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 pm Haha!

I am gratified to know that Junior will probably send our thoughts back to the beings themselves, and if they don't come downunder with a revised setlist I will be further gratified to feel that all prior and subsequent whinging will have been completely justified.

Hows that for gratitude? :lol:
Haha you're probably right and I imagine it will go down like this.. Yeah the whinging bastards are now complaining about the set list not having enough new songs. Apparently some of them are even considering not going to the concert At all now.

Maynard.... This is why I hate people.