Post by ms2r »

Flood!

That's the old song I like. :)
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

Well they played flood.... maybe junior did put a bug in their ear. Will someone in the VIP ask if the band is going to work with Emek again?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Flood live is the motherfucking business!! Justin's bass tone in that it intro is killer!!

Would ya look at that I was in the crowd for this performance too.

Listen to All Them Witches
Wychowski
of Arimathea

Post by Wychowski »

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:08 pm Well they played flood....
Did they though?? Setlist.fm is now saying Part of Me... & otherwise the same as the previous night. I thought they might swap out CCtrip & Invincible with 7empest... Guess not though.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Oh frizzle, they changed it to part of me. Oh well.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I'd love to see Part of me
Wychowski
of Arimathea

Post by Wychowski »

Incidentally, I was vaguing-out on the bus this morning listening to Pneuma & my mind inadvertently started picturing Eric Bana with a mullet.

Damn you Busty... I had to change tracks.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Wychowski wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:06 pm Incidentally, I was vaguing-out on the bus this morning listening to Pneuma & my mind inadvertently started picturing Eric Bana with a mullet.

Damn you Busty... I had to change tracks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you're welcome!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Wonder if 7empest is going to debut the night they sell Adi Granov's poster. I'd rather hear that than Descending, but I would love to hear that too. Way I see it, it's their art, their call, I can't complain, but it will be kind of shocking if they don't play 7empest on this tour at all, merely because it would be a shift in their M.O.. Adam seemed excited to play it on Jericho.

I'm just excited to see the new stage setup, any FI songs and the possibility of Part Of Me, though Vicarious and Stinkfist have definitely been played out (I would say Schism too but that extended bridge destroys). I understand it gives them a solid live foundation, so to speak, but I feel like The Pot and Parabola kinda fills those voids well enough. Again, it is just great to see them still going on their own terms.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I think 7empest will be making its debut at the Staples Center on Sunday night at their first LA show. Back in 2006, the band played new material from April through August but didn't debut Wings For Marie/10,000 Days until September.

If they like debuting songs at Staples Center then we are in for a treat this weekend... hopefully 7empest becomes a staple of their live sets :)
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

And back to rotating Intolerance and Part of Me? Come on. This is basically the same setlist as the summer cycle with a minor re-shuffle and a couple new songs thrown in. I don’t necessarily need more new songs since they’re rather boring but just something DIFFERENT than the last leg. Seeing them next week and naively hoping this set evolves a bit.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Takeo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:47 am And back to rotating Intolerance and Part of Me? Come on. This is basically the same setlist as the summer cycle with a minor re-shuffle and a couple new songs thrown in. I don’t necessarily need more new songs since they’re rather boring but just something DIFFERENT than the last leg. Seeing them next week and naively hoping this set evolves a bit.
i hear ya man, history shows not much should change and the intolerance/part of me is what i thought they would do once i saw intolerance was the first night. i so wish i was wrong but they are too predicatble. not very tool like. they could step it up more. its not that its been 13 years or anything without new material so i shouldnt expect much! ha pffft
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Say what you will. I expected more of a change. But, playing a city two nights in a row with the exact same setlist is very weak. Look at any thread or conversation online, does anyone ever ask to hear vicarious?
zander
Bronco's Fan

Post by zander »

Went to both Denver shows, did VIP for night 2. Night 1 we sat in the middle bowl section. New stage, lights etc. were fucking great. Saw them at Open air this year and it seemed like it was a stripped down show, a bit boring, although I'm sure it had to be since it was a festival. It was great to see a new setup, pretty much a whole new show. The trippy mandala with Danny's live playing was mind blowing, really fucking cool idea. I wouldn't call what he is playing CC Trip, seems like he is doing something different every night. Maynard killed Intolerance, best I have ever heard him. The mix was great. I was disappointed in the lack of new songs though. I'm tired of the greatest hits as well but they do seem to find a way to mix it up, even the videos are looped different and cropped in a cool way.

VIP was stripped down from when I went in 2014. Pretty much soundcheck, picture from soundcheck with everyone, merch, food, wait, show. Food game has been stepped up but they did run out. No Q&A, I'm glad I went Adam still had the patience for it. My 2 cents on the VIP... I'd easily pay $500 for the ticket I got, BBB row 4, anything else is just a bonus. Backpack and Jacket are good quality. Get there early to get front row. We were supposed to check in at 2:30, people that got there at 11:00 got front row. Second night show was the same except Part of me, but it was sooo much better being that close. The band is so loud that you can't hear the fuckers next to you talking or trying to sing along. Maynard was drowned out but I'm sure that's from being up front since the mix was perfect the night before. Maynard was as active as I have ever seen him, he stole Adam's amp and proceeded to auction it off to the crowd.

Like everyone, I was disappointed in the lack of new songs but if they tour on this album for another 4 years they need to keep some songs held back to mix in later, it only makes sense. They have already played 5/7 actual songs live. I would rather not get tired of seeing these new songs live anyway.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

I think if they would have had Descending instead of Vicarious+46&2 there would be much much much less talking about the setlist.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

For those complaining about the set list, have you considered this. We have all marvelled at Danny's efforts on this new album. The dude is 58. Have you ever considered that perhaps some of these songs may be difficult to perform at a level he wishes to night after night consecutively. That perhaps songs like jambi, schism, stinkfist etc are strategically placed to give him a bit of let up throughout the night as they are a bit more comfortable to play?

Have you considered that collectively as an entire band they in all likelihood haven't had a great deal of time playing these songs together as the 4 of them. Maybe they need more time to get 7empest gig ready.

Or maybe they intend on doing more shows in the US next year and would like to keep some songs up their sleeve to keep you coming back.

Or maybe you're just a bunch of entitled fuckers who instead of being grateful that tool is still in existence with a new album out that they are touring in your backyard , you're too busy whinging about what you aren't getting. Fucks sake give me ya ticket , I'll go and ya know what despite the fact I've seen vicarious and stinkfist and schism 10 times will still thoroughly bloody enjoy myself.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Of course you are more than fairly allowed to be disappointed , I get it I really do and you're allowed to voice that opinion. But as am I allowed to voice my 2 Bob in that y'all need to learn to be happy with what ya got. There's a life lesson in this
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Busty! your really bent about this. im not loosing any sleep over this or anything.

''Or maybe they intend on doing more shows in the US next year and would like to keep some songs up their sleeve to keep you coming back''

Bingo! and that isnt bullshit if they are doing that ? they fill arenas every tour they do riding on no new album all the time. its not necassary for them to spread anything out cause fans are spreading themselves for every tour since forever ago. haha

They are still a great band,changed the live show somewhat/added more speakers, sound good live but they are better then just those songs all the time. in 2012 they played Intension before 46 & 2 and even doing that made 46 & 2 seem better instead of hearing it after schism or some b.s.

be patient man, you will be seeing them come early 2020. then you can be happy happy!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I'd like to nominate busty for the brown nose award.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

liz wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:14 pm I'd like to nominate busty for the brown nose award.
isnt that part of the busty awards or something ? not sure i get that thread but maybe we can give him a trophy soon! lol
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

The Cure's an old band and play 3 hours plus sets, a lot of older bands do.

Just sayin . . .
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I gotta say Bob I have been losing alot of sleep over it.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:32 pm I gotta say Bob I have been losing alot of sleep over it.
naah! if your totally happy with the set thats awesome. what else can we talk about ? ha
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

tys0n wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:25 pm The Cure's an old band and play 3 hours plus sets, a lot of older bands do.

Just sayin . . .
The Cure's song are much less demanding than Tool's, especially when it comes to the drumming.

Busty brings a very good point..
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

children wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:59 pm
tys0n wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:25 pm The Cure's an old band and play 3 hours plus sets, a lot of older bands do.

Just sayin . . .
The Cure's song are much less demanding than Tool's, especially when it comes to the drumming.
So get someone who can keep up?

Tool have laid down the frameworks for their songs which are great but if they get to an age where they can't perform at their peak maybe it's time to bring in some people who can. People don't go see Macbeth, Swan Lake or Cats and expect the same artists to be performing.
Canned audience laughter