New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

The Main Event
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by nxrm »

mattw wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:33 pm CC Trip is actually kinda underwhelming, especially after a 12 minute intermission. I'd love it the band just replaced it with a shorter song somehow. I love Danny Carey as a drummer but he's doing his own thing for like 10 minutes and it just feels flat... the show loses momentum :|
Ah man, I thought Danny's solo was a great way to get the show started up again after intermission.

I was just listening to the album this afternoon and was loving CCTrip, and it made me nostalgic for hearing the different iterations live again.

The guy is such an incredible drummer, and getting to hear him rock out on his own has been a treat.

I get it though, to each their own. \m/
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Merkaba
Fanboi

Post by Merkaba »

7empest soundchecked in Vegas apparently, this could be the debut... :o
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Merkaba wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:06 pm 7empest soundchecked in Vegas apparently, this could be the debut... :o
I heard the same! Going to Need quality vid/audio of this momentous occasion!! Might take a few sound checks before they go full run though.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

5th setlist variation coming through, choo choo!
Canned audience laughter
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I wish they had pulled it out in Fresno, but I really can’t complain. Something to look forward to on the next CA stop I guess. Fingers crossed for the Vegas attendees.

@ Norm - did Danny start CCTrip in SD with the stretch and gong solo? That was definitely a change from LA in October, and I dig it. He is really getting into his groove, pun intended.

Also love that they are closing out 46&2 with all four of them staring up into space for a good minute or so, right before the break. Very nice vibe.

Nice touch on the special lighting for the front stage L&R speaker stacks.

It was both Adam’s and a crew members BDay in Fresno, as mentioned by somebody above. I think they all gave it a little extra that night.
Ki77aan :twisted:
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Kittaan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:19 pm I wish they had pulled it out in Fresno, but I really can’t complain. Something to look forward to on the next CA stop I guess. Fingers crossed for the Vegas attendees.

@ Norm - did Danny start CCTrip in SD with the stretch and gong solo? That was definitely a change from LA in October, and I dig it. He is really getting into his groove, pun intended.

Also love that they are closing out 46&2 with all four of them staring up into space for a good minute or so, right before the break. Very nice vibe.

Nice touch on the special lighting for the front stage L&R speaker stacks.

It was both Adam’s and a crew members BDay in Fresno, as mentioned by somebody above. I think they all gave it a little extra that night.
Right, so cool that they're trying out 7empest during soundcheck. Can only hope if/when they come back through LA they've still got it in rotation, along with Descending. I have a feeling that Descending is going to be a white whale for me.

CCTrip in San Diego (night two) started with Danny stretching and playing the gong, and I'm pretty sure it started the same way for both LA shows back in October. I know they were a long time ago my friend. :D

Danny definitely spent a bit more time playing the gong in SD than during the LA shows though. I love the overwhelming sound he gets out of that thing.

Man, I wish we could somehow see a live stream of these shows. Truly bummed I can't get to more of them right now.
Merkaba
Fanboi

Post by Merkaba »

Shed523 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:27 pm
Merkaba wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:06 pm 7empest soundchecked in Vegas apparently, this could be the debut... :o
I heard the same! Going to Need quality vid/audio of this momentous occasion!! Might take a few sound checks before they go full run though.
That’s true, it’ll definitely need more soundchecks, they might mix things up for night two in Vegas?!
sonnyboy11
Bronco's Fan

Post by sonnyboy11 »

Hoping they get it tonight in Vegas tonight but, if not, reasonable shot for it tomorrow in AZ. I'll be hitting up that show.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

mattw wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:33 pm CC Trip is actually kinda underwhelming, especially after a 12 minute intermission. I'd love it the band just replaced it with a shorter song somehow. I love Danny Carey as a drummer but he's doing his own thing for like 10 minutes and it just feels flat... the show loses momentum :|
ya, i agree. Danny cant solo very well,hes amazing in other ways. Even small things like play the segues live with adam and justin doing stuff with effect pedals/adams synth or whatever while danny does his thing making it unique to the tour yet similiar to the segues or just jam more that way. they use to do stuff like that before so its not a stretch,they kinda do now but to a lesser degree. that would help fill the show out more.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Special request from Bobby Bottleservice through Junior. I should have thought to do the same thing last year! Junior gets shit done! Haha!
Professor of Lesbian Science
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

nxrm wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:39 pm I know they were a long time ago my friend. :D

Danny definitely spent a bit more time playing the gong in SD than during the LA shows though. I love the overwhelming sound he gets out of that thing.

Man, I wish we could somehow see a live stream of these shows. Truly bummed I can't get to more of them right now.
Ah shit Norm. Old age is a hell of a drug... Really? I seem to remember him just starting at the kit. I tried to check out some LA YT clips for CCT, but none of them started at the gong. Thanks for the info.

Fuck yeah, they would generate a shit load of revenue for live streams. I’d buy a damn season pass. But I’m sure they want to control the access to ensure actual butts in actual seats.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

bob wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:55 am
ya, i agree. Danny cant solo very well,hes amazing in other ways. Even small things like play the segues live with adam and justin doing stuff with effect pedals/adams synth or whatever while danny does his thing making it unique to the tour yet similiar to the segues or just jam more that way. they use to do stuff like that before so its not a stretch,they kinda do now but to a lesser degree. that would help fill the show out more.
Wow. First of all, DC is soloing all night. The other fuckers are just trying to keep up. Secondly, nah.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Kittaan wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:47 pm Ah shit Norm. Old age is a hell of a drug... Really? I seem to remember him just starting at the kit. I tried to check out some LA YT clips for CCT, but none of them started at the gong. Thanks for the info.

Fuck yeah, they would generate a shit load of revenue for live streams. I’d buy a damn season pass. But I’m sure they want to control the access to ensure actual butts in actual seats.
I’ll try and look for one that includes the gong for you. :D

*For better or worse, with tighter security on recording during the shows there's not much out there for LA (at the moment). But I do remember Danny playing the gong for both LA shows before sitting down for CCTrip. I'll keep looking though. :D

Not LA, but Colorado on Oct. 16th:

May have to get Junior to back me up on LA's gong action. :D
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

nxrm wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:59 pm
Kittaan wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:47 pm Ah shit Norm. Old age is a hell of a drug... Really? I seem to remember him just starting at the kit. I tried to check out some LA YT clips for CCT, but none of them started at the gong. Thanks for the info.

I’ll try and look for one that includes the gong for you. :D

*For better or worse, with tighter security on recording during the shows there's not much out there for LA (at the moment). But I do remember Danny playing the gong for both LA shows before sitting down for CCTrip. I'll keep looking though. :D

Not LA, but Colorado on Oct. 16th:

May have to get Junior to back me up on LA's gong action. :D
Can’t remember when the gong started.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

basejumper wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:36 pm
Special request from Bobby Bottleservice through Junior. I should have thought to do the same thing last year! Junior gets shit done! Haha!
Wasn’t me.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Well, clearly I spaced. DC was definitely starting with the gong before this leg, if maybe with a little less time devoted. The memory is one of the first things to....

What were we talking about again?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Looks like the US tour ends just in time for Danny.
Canned audience laughter
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

tys0n wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:42 pm Looks like the US tour ends just in time for Danny.
Right, he's gotta be ecstatic. :D
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

Went to see "The Comedians Following Tool on Tour: The Tour" tonight in Austin.
Funny fellas, if you get the chance to see them in your town.

https://www.nottoolband.com
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

Looks like they just announce more tour dates in the NW US.

https://toolband.com/news/2020/new-tool-tour-dates/
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Hey Junior. Question for ya. How much these days are you in actual conversation with the band in arranging the visual show etc. Just curious around the logistics of it all once a band reaches this level of success and you're obviously very trusted by the band given the longevity of the relationship.

Are you still in regular talks with the band about specifics, or they just trust you and your team to do your thing. Or there's a middle man that relays the info?
Listen to All Them Witches
Bobby Bottleservice
Basssssssss

Post by Bobby Bottleservice »

junior wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:54 pm
basejumper wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:36 pm
Wasn’t me.
Basejumper,, thanks for backing me up! I don't know when 7empest will happen, but I will be really happy when others will be able to witness this masterpiece. I'm really serious about this being a masterpiece!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Pat Mastelotto joined Danny for CCT last night in Austin, that was a nice surprise! Wonder what happened with Bozzio as he usually surprises the crowd here at Tool shows, but nevertheless, awesome seeing Pat! Makes more fun now they might mix it up with every Austin show.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

limeygringo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 am Pat Mastelotto joined Danny for CCT last night in Austin, that was a nice surprise! Wonder what happened with Bozzio as he usually surprises the crowd here at Tool shows, but nevertheless, awesome seeing Pat! Makes more fun now they might mix it up with every Austin show.
Pat Mastelotto comes in around 5:45.

What a cool addition.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Nice find Norm.

I was wondering if we will ever see DC with Crimson when I was at the KC show last year.

Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison and DC on the front line. It would be magikal.