New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

The Main Event
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

nxrm wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:26 am
limeygringo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 am Pat Mastelotto joined Danny for CCT last night in Austin, that was a nice surprise! Wonder what happened with Bozzio as he usually surprises the crowd here at Tool shows, but nevertheless, awesome seeing Pat! Makes more fun now they might mix it up with every Austin show.
Pat Mastelotto comes in around 5:45.

What a cool addition.
That was a cool drum solo. Loved the "jammy" feel with both of them taking lead at one point or the other. They had some really nice beats going and Danny seemed like he was really having fun.

Major props to junior and the crew for last night's show. It sounded great and it seemed like there were WAY more effects on the curtains as compared to Houston. Also, love how you can get some depth using the screens behind Danny. Who came up with the chains as a curtain? Didn't they use a rolled flat hurricane shutter type screen on one tour?

The risers got their LED boards back and the circular configuration of the curtain looked way better than the more square one I saw in Houston. Someone in the sound booth appeared to be dreaming of sandy beaches and warm weather with the little green palm tree neon. So, junior, are the older venues harder to rig for the show than the new ones? Or is all your stuff pretty self contained and just need a point to connect the chain?

I got a little hopeful that 7empest was coming with all the soundcheck talk and they skipped the Pot/Patient spot in the setlist and went straight into Parabol(a). Ended up getting Descending, which was still cool as I had not heard it live before. Also, kudos to the Austin audience. I don't think I saw more than a handful of people taking pictures. I never knew how distracting it was until it was gone.

All in all a very enjoyable show. No major surprises aside from the dueling drums and Adam breaking a string. MJK was all business, gave us the perfunctory cheap pop/troll "So, yeah, Austin", crown roars, and he replies "try harder". And that was the last spoken words from him until he let us all play with our shit in public during Stinkfist. Justin was interacting with the crowd a lot and sounded tight as usual. Even Adam was a bit more demonstrative on stage. All in all a good show.

TL;DR - Go see Tool
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Kittaan wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:04 pm Nice find Norm.

I was wondering if we will ever see DC with Crimson when I was at the KC show last year.

Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison and DC on the front line. It would be magikal.
ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:57 pm That was a cool drum solo. Loved the "jammy" feel with both of them taking lead at one point or the other. They had some really nice beats going and Danny seemed like he was really having fun.
Looked like Adam hanging out behind Danny during part of it, and sure enough there are some great shots on Adam's Instagram Live right now. Worth checking out if you can catch 'em.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 am Hey Junior. Question for ya. How much these days are you in actual conversation with the band in arranging the visual show etc. Just curious around the logistics of it all once a band reaches this level of success and you're obviously very trusted by the band given the longevity of the relationship.

Are you still in regular talks with the band about specifics, or they just trust you and your team to do your thing. Or there's a middle man that relays the info?
Confidential.
But no middle man.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

junior wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:51 am
Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 am Hey Junior. Question for ya. How much these days are you in actual conversation with the band in arranging the visual show etc. Just curious around the logistics of it all once a band reaches this level of success and you're obviously very trusted by the band given the longevity of the relationship.

Are you still in regular talks with the band about specifics, or they just trust you and your team to do your thing. Or there's a middle man that relays the info?
Confidential.
But no middle man.
Fair call. Well I look forward to annoying you three minutes before go time for their melb show. :lol:
Listen to All Them Witches
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon

Pretty sure I know everyone's answer, but I will ask it anyway.

Would you trade everything after the intermission for 7empest?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Yes
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

No.

Invincible > 7empest
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'm sure it'd be played on the second night
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:42 pm Would you trade everything after the intermission for 7empest?
It's an interestion question, and one we spoke about in Discord not long ago. If 7empest get's added to the set, which two other songs would you prefer not to see?

The obvious answer is whichever two old songs you like the least - Parabola, Schism, whatever. But the more realistic answer is which new song would you rather omitted as I suspect that's a more likely scenario? Personally I'm not sure I'd prefer 7empest over FI, Pnuema, Descending or Invicible.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon

tys0n wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:26 pm I'm sure it'd be played on the second night
but we aren't all rich nancy boys
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Fuck you, I ain't rich!
Canned audience laughter
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

ToolFanSinceLastWeek wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:42 pm

Would you trade everything after the intermission for 7empest?
YES!
Imagine at 20 min extended version where each member gets a little solo. Adams is already there then Danny goes fucking CCtrip somewhere and then they let Justin do his Jimi Hendrix shit and they melt everyone’s face!
Or is it just me?
All well Whatever, Nevermind
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon

tys0n wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:43 pm Fuck you, I ain't rich!
Lol...
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

hellboy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:34 pm
ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:42 pm Would you trade everything after the intermission for 7empest?
Personally I'm not sure I'd prefer 7empest over FI, Pnuema, Descending or Invicible.
100% agree
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Songs I want to hear live from FI in order of wanting to hear them in a live setting

Descen > 7pest > Fearnocs > Culloices >Invin > PNuman
Canned audience laughter
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I think they should either do Descending AND one of The Pot/Part Of Me/Intolerance on one night and 7empest on the other night.

If you get say Descending and one of those 3 older songs it pretty much adds up to 15 mins or so.

Fear Inoculum, Pneuma and Invincible should be live show staples on this tour, pretty much like Schism, Stinkfist, Jambi, 46 & 2 and Aenema have become over the years.

I think it's fair for fans to either get Descending OR 7empest at a show this tour. Asking for both would be too much... or you'd have to cut out other tracks like Vicarious and/or Parabola etc.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon

Or, how about the whole album in its entirety - only? No old songs at all. What is the running time on FI like 89 minutes? With a 10 minute intermission you are looking at a tad over an hour and a half - which is how long their shows have been for the last 4-5 tours (if not shorter). Plus, with all their ambient musical interludes, they get even more time to rest.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

ToolFanSinceLastWeek wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 pm Or, how about the whole album in its entirety - only? No old songs at all. .
I don't mind if we never see Culling Voices live. It sounds nice and I don't mind it but not at the expense of something like Jambi... which is fucking brilliant live these days.

I think FI, Pneuma, Invincible, Descending and 7empest is plenty. Danny can do his thing with CC Trip if he likes but 3 or 4 of those main 5 just listed would be great. I've said before FI, Pneuma and Invincible should be regulars and you can interchange Descending/7empest. That would be cool if they alternated those two longer tracks on back to back nights etc.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

I'm hoping they bust out 7empest on the next leg with Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned. Oh man how'd I'd love to see a show of 10+ minute songs only.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

limeygringo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:58 am I'm hoping they bust out 7empest on the next leg with Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned. Oh man how'd I'd love to see a show of 10+ minute songs only.
A fun opening: start with lost keys including the Voice over and then after the doctor is finished Maynard goes: fuck, here we go again. 7empest.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Yeah, I hope they save 7empest for the Australian leg because I don't wanna hear it in Nashville. I don't understand all the hype about hearing 7empest live. It's not even that good. It just kinda meanders on and on... and the lyrics are cheesy. It's one of the weakest songs on FI, alongside Culling Voices.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Weakest songs? Have you ever tried playing along to it? Try keeping track of just the drumming. I'd love to see them pull off 7empest live.

Justin Chancellor has described it as "epic" and Adam Jones says its his favourite track on the album. RATM drummer Brad Wilk heard an early version of it and pretty much asked Danny "how are you doing that song as just one drummer?"

I agree with you that Culling Voices is the weakest full length track but I wouldn't consider 7empest a weak TOOL song or a weak song on this album.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

limeygringo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:58 am I'm hoping they bust out 7empest on the next leg with Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned. Oh man how'd I'd love to see a show of 10+ minute songs only.

I like the jut of your cib!
That’d be a fantastic show.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

I’d love to see Rosetta Stoned live! I’m really surprised they haven’t broken out 7empest
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite