Holy fucking shit... it happened!! 😃

7empest. JC wasn’t kidding.

We need details. And/or audio/video.
tys0n
Streeper

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by tys0n »

Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:26 am
tys0n wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:27 am Yewl fucking 7empest!

What a collosal fuck up, tonight's been a lot of fun!
Fairly messy I'm assuming?
Adam completely fucked it up several times, at the end Maynard asked 'Can we do the again?'

This was after Adam fucked up The Patient and instead of singing 'going to wait it out' Maynard sang 'going to take it slooooow'

Then during Pneuma Adam was concentrating playing his part and Maynard snuck behind him and got a roadie to push him around on one of Adam's Marshall stacks as if he was riding a horse from one side of the stage to the other then they put it behind Adam and Maynard fleeded the seen.

When Adam turned around later he was fuming and kicked the stack over and after the song was talking to the techies for a while.

Also I went to get some water during Schism and I came back to a circle pit.

The bouncers were pulling people out of the mosh by their heads and throwing them out 6 security guards to one, even the cops got involved.

The band and the fans were very very loose tonight, great times.
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Adams been screwing up more often for years at this point but hes not horrible or anything. danny and justin are smookin though!
Last edited by bob on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

tys0n wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:59 am
Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:26 am
tys0n wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:27 am Yewl fucking 7empest!

What a collosal fuck up, tonight's been a lot of fun!
Fairly messy I'm assuming?
Adam completely fucked it up several times, at the end Maynard asked 'Can we do the again?'

This was after Adam fucked up The Patient and instead of singing 'going to wait it out' Maynard sang 'going to take it slooooow'

Then during Pneuma Adam was concentrating playing his part and Maynard snuck behind him and got a roadie to push him around on one of Adam's Marshall stacks as if he was riding a horse from one side of the stage to the other then they put it behind Adam and Maynard fleeded the seen.

When Adam turned around later he was fuming and kicked the stack over and after the song was talking to the techies for a while.

Also I went to get some water during Schism and I came back to a circle pit.

The bouncers were pulling people out of the mosh by their heads and throwing them out 6 security guards to one, even the cops got involved.

The band and the fans were very very loose tonight, great times.
I think he said can we do it again cause... you know.... 15+ mins. Great show. Withdraw all negs on The Patient it’s a ripper live. Idk.... best show I’ve been to imho. Sensational. If u have chance to double up in Melb do it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Also over the whole 2 shows I didn't see one other tool fan wearing trousers, you all have horrible taste in fashion.
Canned audience laughter
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

While it was great to get the live debut of 7empest, it wasn't exactly their finest performance. Adam appeared to get lost about 2 minutes into his solo and Maynard didn't come back in to sing at the 10 minute mark. His lines "Disputing intentions invites devastation. A tempest must be true to its nature" were completely omitted, as were his 8 lines of "A tempest must be just that." It left the song feeling pretty empty and misguided, despite Adam, Justin and Danny trying their best to salvage it. No one's direct fault, they just seemed a little out of time with each other and the song sounded rushed and unpolished... but it still sounded good hearing them play it for the first time :)

The first Sydney show was just a better show: 14 songs, Descending, The Pot, Part Of Me. Very hard to beat that.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

just watched the clip on youtube. doesnt sound so bad :) very cool they pulled this off! respect!
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

But, hey, they debuted 7empest in Australia. That's what setlist.fm will tell in history.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

Congrats. Couldn't have happened to a nicer country.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Busty McCracken wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:03 am Hopefully they leave it and try it next tour. I really do see that song potentially being a bit of a mess live.
Jesus Christ I am our very own nostradamus! I somehow predicted their 15 minute complex as all fuck song on premier would likely be a bit of a bit of a mess.

I guess from here, They scrap it all together for Melbourne and revert back to standard set list (and Tyson reminds everyone on here til the end of times that he saw it and they didn't) or they try it again and totally nail it.

Props to em for trying it last night. Glad you lads saw it.
Listen to All Them Witches
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Wasn't the whole thing of course, but the 8+ minutes of footage I watched, while far from "perfect," was not even close to what I'd describe as a "mess." Sounded pretty fucking amazing actually.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Glad they whipped it out regardless. I can’t wait to see that live.

Epic as fuck.
Ki77aan :twisted:
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Premier of 7empest during the second show in Sydney?!

So awesome. \m/
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Busty, the will play it or try it again 2nd night in Melbourne and 2nd night in Auckland. Brisbane is only getting one show so they'll pull out the big guns (Descending) and save 7empest for the good ol' 2nd night shows where possible, especially in this early stage of playing it live... it's still an infant. A little care and nurturing here is still necessary.

Enjoy though; both Sydney shows were fantastic. And I'll declare this: Invincible sounds better LIVE than on the album. Experiencing it live really is an... experience. :)
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Just watched the snips on YT. Agree with Joey, while there are clearly some issues on the debut performance, they fucking sounded amazing. What an experience. MJK definitely did end with the “A 7empest must be just that” chant, just a few less iterations.

Minor gripe: who the fuck still films in portrait in 2020?
Ki77aan :twisted:
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

joeypants wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:42 pm Wasn't the whole thing of course, but the 8+ minutes of footage I watched, while far from "perfect," was not even close to what I'd describe as a "mess." Sounded pretty fucking amazing actually.
Video of the last 8 minutes? Just finished watching that one, and I thought it sounded pretty epic.
Kittaan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:08 pm Just watched the snips on YT. Agree with Joey, while there are clearly some issues on the debut performance, they fucking sounded amazing. What an experience. MJK definitely did end with the “A 7empest must be just that” chant, just a few less iterations.

Minor gripe: who the fuck still films in portrait in 2020?
Definitely watched that same video. :lol:
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

i found the one that is like 2 minutes long. can you link to some of the the others? I really want to hear the beginning of the song to see how long it took the crowd to recognize they were playing it...

edit: found the longer one. too bad they missed the opening riffs
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I knew it from the first strum,.

Yes it was Hella fucking epic but they got lost three times on my count, the last of which Adam just shrugged and they missed a portion of the ending.

'Can we, try that one more time'

I knew that's what he said. The band get lost for almost a minute and a half around the 3:00 mark lol
Canned audience laughter
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Maynard also said "You know it's raining really hard outside... Maybe we had something to do with that" or words to that effect before finishing with Stinkfist.

The "Can we try that one more time" line was a nice touch at the end of 7empest.

I know there's no footage of it yet but the first 5 minutes were stellar. The main riff 1 minute sounded heavier and had red lights focused on Adam. It was a tight first few minutes. Also, Adam and Justin kinda hugged each other or exchanged some words close up just before Adam started the song. It was probably a "Let's go for it" moment because I think Adam turned and gave a fist pump/wave to the crowd and got a cheer before beginning the opening guitar bit.
Merkaba
Fanboi

Post by Merkaba »

Link for the 8 minute recording here for those who haven’t found it yet.

(EDIT: Looks like Tyson best me to the share 👏🏽)

I honestly think it was a pretty solid debut. Didn’t really catch too many faults. MJK sang the last few verses, not sure who said he didn’t? The 2nd last verse sounded terrific, “Control your delusion...” even without the over dubbed vocals in between each line.
Those people in attendance must be so stoked to have witnessed that performance! 🤘🏽

I’m not sure if I’m happy for the debut or not 😀
I was really looking forward to hearing some older heavy cuts like Intolerance or Swamp Song. Let’s see what they decide to do for Melb night 2.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

mattw wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:00 pm Also, Adam and Justin kinda hugged each other or exchanged some words close up just before Adam started the song.
I said 'Here we fucking go' when that happened and then, it happened.
Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Maynard left out this entire passage that normally appears at the 9:40 mark:

Disputing intentions invites devastation
A tempest must be true to its nature
A tempest must be just that

It was still good though. Melbourne and Auckland should get a go here :)
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

They skipped a few parts, fucking hacks, I want a refund
Canned audience laughter
Merkaba
Fanboi

Post by Merkaba »

Merkaba wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:10 pm Link for the 8 minute recording here for those who haven’t found it yet.

(EDIT: Looks like Tyson best me to the share 👏🏽)

I honestly think it was a pretty solid debut. Didn’t really catch too many faults. MJK sang the last few verses, not sure who said he didn’t? The 2nd last verse sounded terrific, “Control your delusion...” even without the over dubbed vocals in between each line.
Those people in attendance must be so stoked to have witnessed that performance! 🤘🏽

I’m not sure if I’m happy for the debut or not 😀
I was really looking forward to hearing some older heavy cuts like Intolerance or Swamp Song. Let’s see what they decide to do for Melb night 2.
OK, just re-listened to the 8min clip again at work, he did omit that middle verse.

I'm also a little annoyed that they're not playing the extended versions of Schism and Skintfist now, these heavily played tracks rely on these sections to keep them exciting, imo, I can't listen to Stink without that extended jam, it's part of the song, and a great build up to the ending!