Aloke Dutta Competition

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

After the interview with Aloke the other day, forum regular Mog suggested we run a competition where the prize is a free one hour lesson with Aloke via Skype. Mog graciously donated the fee for the lesson (valued at $100), and Aloke has agree to provide the winner with a PDF copy of one of his books to help with the lesson. The lesson itself is suitable for all musicians regardless of their level of experience. Being via Skype, the lesson can be had regardless of your location in the world, just so long as you have a decent internet connection.

The difficulty was to find a way to run the competition, and after some discussion Mog and I decided to run it as a charity drive supporting Hiefer International, a charity who strive to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth. For every dollar you donate to Fourtheye, you will receive one entry into the competition. All money donated will then be forwarded to Hiefer International at the end of the competition. The competition itself will close at midnight April 30 US Pacific time. The winner will then be selected at random a couple of days later.

To enter, please us the button below (don't use the dontation button found on the Membership page, as it makes it hard for me to sort out). Once the money is recieved, I'll send you an email to confirm the entry.

Tickets
1 Ticket $1.00 AUD
5 Tickets $5.00 AUD
10 Tickets $10.00 AUD

Nostrenominon
Maynard Believer

Post by Nostrenominon »

So the prize is a $100 lesson and to win it, we have to "compete" (that's what a competition is right?) to donate the most money....Yet it's not a competition at all because a $1 "competitor" could win with his 1 entry, just not as probable as a $100 donator.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Nostrenominon said
So the prize is a $100 lesson and to win it, we have to "compete" (that's what a competition is right?) to donate the most money....Yet it's not a competition at all because a $1 "competitor" could win with his 1 entry, just not as probable as a $100 donator.

OK, Captain Obvious... how about "Sweepstakes" instead of "Competition"?

Hellboy, the buttons you mention don't appear to function in the Forum.  If anybody else was wondering, just go to the Blog section.

http://www.fourtheye.net/
Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Nostrenominon said

Obviously the odds of winning go up the more you donate, and seeing as the money is going to charity, that is a good thing.  And I think you are a little too concerned with semantics.  Contest/Competition it makes no difference.  We are not going to exclude someone from a chance at winning just because they might only be able to afford a $1 dollar donation.  The element of luck makes it interesting.

phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

I like the idea, 10 tickets for me!
boom.box
Maynard Believer

Post by boom.box »

can you buy more than ten entries?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Nostrenominon said

How could anyone possibly have a problem with this? And I thought I was a miserable cunt.

Look, as in any "competition", there are always people who have advantages. You think Usain Bolt doesn't have an advantage over every other competitor?

Right. So someone who contributes $100 in this is fucking Usain Bolt, OK?

And it's going to a decent charity, so I don't get the problem anyway.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I wasn't planning on having anything to do with this, as I am completely uninterested in the prize, as a shitty guitar player - but I dig the charity after reading up on them.

So, once you get those buttons that Kittaan mentioned up and running, Boi Of A Hellish Persuasion, you can count me in for $10*; and, should I win, I'll give the prize to whichever forum member can convince me that I should give it to them. It'll probably be Busty or Joey at this point, as they seem to be the only real musos here.

* Unless I have to use PayPal - then probably not, as I'd have to make a brand-new account. And my hatred of PayPal outweighs any social conscience I may have.

EDIT: Ah, I'm a moron. I went to the blogpost, and it appears as though I should be able to use my credit card - though, as I remember, I've tried that before, and it didn't work.

We'll see what happens during my next study break.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

boom.box said
can you buy more than ten entries?

I haven't tried it personally, but I imagine you'd be able to make more than one purchase should you want to have more than 10.
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

Wait a second guys...wait a second here. Is there a way for me to just give like $800 to Tool for no reason? As a fan I really feel that they deserve it a lot more than some charity or something...

I'm just kidding. Mog you're a stand up dude, this is awesome.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

this is cool
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Five more days left in the contest.  Donate a buck ya cheap bastards it all goes to charity.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

DONE! almost forgot
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Come on tightarses - not as many entries as I'd like so far...
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

I'm not entering the sweepstakes, however I have made a separate donation to Heifer to show my support.
SteveBobSteve
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

snazzlefrass said
I'm not entering the sweepstakes, however I have made a separate donation to Heifer to show my support.

Thanks snazzle - are we meeting up tomorrow?  Send me an email hellboy1975@gmail.com
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Final day of the Aloke Dutta Contest.  Donate a dollar and your name goes into a hat for a chance to win a free lesson via Skype with Aloke Dutta.  Aloke is going to donate one his books/study guides needed for the lesson.  This is a one hour lesson with one of the worlds best tabla players.  A man that Danny Carey has studied with and who has a vast amount of knowledge about music that can translate to almost any instrument.  All donation contributions will go to charity.  Easy win for all involved.  Last Day.  Get involved.

http://www.fourtheye.net/2013/04/aloke- ... mpetition/
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Will probably leave this open a couple of days and pick a winner on the weekend - so get your donations in!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy1975 said
Will probably leave this open a couple of days and pick a winner on the weekend - so get your donations in!

^ Cool. 

Can you head over to IRC for a bit?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

On my way
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

hellboy1975 said
Thanks snazzle - are we meeting up tomorrow?  Send me an email hellboy1975@gmail.com

Guess not. Sorry I didn't get ahold of you. Pretty shitty week. Got screwed over travel from melbourne.
SteveBobSteve
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Winner has been drawn and contacted.  Once he confirms there will be a celebratory post!  Only $50 was raised which was a little disappointing though...
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy1975 said
Winner has been drawn and contacted.  Once he confirms there will be a celebratory post!  Only $50 was raised which was a little disappointing though...

Figured I would swing by and see who won.  Actually $50 is more than I thought we would raise and that $50 dollars will have a direct impact on someone's life. Heifer International is a wonderful charity and I encourage everyone to check out their website.  I hope the winner enjoys the lesson with Mr. Dutta and I wish everyone peace and success in all their endeavors.

Regards,

Mog

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Mogonaut said

hellboy1975 said

Figured I would swing by and see who won.  Actually $50 is more than I thought we would raise and that $50 dollars will have a direct impact on someone's life. Heifer International is a wonderful charity and I encourage everyone to check out their website.  I hope the winner enjoys the lesson with Mr. Dutta and I wish everyone peace and success in all their endeavors.

Regards,

Mog

Yo Moggie.  I sent you a PM, not sure if you got it.

PS - I ponied up for the charity too.  =p
Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan said

Mogonaut said

hellboy1975 said

Regards,

Mog

Yo Moggie.  I sent you a PM, not sure if you got it.

PS - I ponied up for the charity too.  =p

I just checked and I didn't get it.  Thanks for contributing btw