Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Specter
Pencildick

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Specter »

Calfium Jay wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:02 pm So are we getting a friggen music video with this latest rekkid or what?!?!

Jesus Christ...
Great question.
And I’ll bite.:
why doncha come save my life
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

junior wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:54 pm Nothing to do with the photo, but in the past Adam had 2 Silverbursts on the road, and I think only one of them had the mirror, or the other one had a different mirror. There might have been a time that one of them had 2 stock "PAF" pickups, or 2 Duncans, or if not then it at least had a different bridge pickup. Maybe an EMG at one point? My memory is fading on all of that, but I'm sure there are pictures somewhere. The 2 weren't quite the same.
There was also that 3rd guitar, a non-Silverburst (the "Prison Sex" guitar) that was strung and tuned differently, and also used for "Parabol/a" for a time.
This past year or 2 he had somewhere around 5 Silverbursts on the road, and I think there was a prototype of the signature along for a while, but I don't know if he ever used it in a show. One would have to ask him or his tech.
However it has gone, the signature model is based on the current state of the "main" one, as far as I know.
The baige coloured guitar Adam used live for Parabola goes back as far as ''Undertow"" ? whats the story with that, if they're is one. i just thought he used that on Parabola cause he liked the sound of it better, didnt know it went so far back.
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

junior wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:54 pm Nothing to do with the photo, but in the past Adam had 2 Silverbursts on the road, and I think only one of them had the mirror, or the other one had a different mirror. There might have been a time that one of them had 2 stock "PAF" pickups, or 2 Duncans, or if not then it at least had a different bridge pickup. Maybe an EMG at one point? My memory is fading on all of that, but I'm sure there are pictures somewhere. The 2 weren't quite the same.
There was also that 3rd guitar, a non-Silverburst (the "Prison Sex" guitar) that was strung and tuned differently, and also used for "Parabol/a" for a time.
This past year or 2 he had somewhere around 5 Silverbursts on the road, and I think there was a prototype of the signature along for a while, but I don't know if he ever used it in a show. One would have to ask him or his tech.
However it has gone, the signature model is based on the current state of the "main" one, as far as I know.
junior, its awesome having you post here (and tdn)! so many tidbits!
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Whowatchesthewampas wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:18 am
junior, its awesome having you post here (and tdn)! so many tidbits!
Agreed! :D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

tdn is still a thing?
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i thought that place was pretty much gone these days ? once Toolarmy started i didnt visit that site, even after TA lost the forums. Now its just a cash grab more then ever and totally sucks!
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

I'm on global ignore since 2020. lol. But, yes, it stil exists.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I thought you were a mod?
Canned audience laughter
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

bob wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:27 pm The baige coloured guitar Adam used live for Parabola goes back as far as ''Undertow"" ? whats the story with that, if they're is one. i just thought he used that on Parabola cause he liked the sound of it better, didnt know it went so far back.
It goes back to at least the Aenima tour. I can't speak for his live gear before then.
I know I've seen a "gear rundown" somewhere before that showed a black Les Paul used for "Prison Sex", but I've never seen that one in person. I suppose that could be the same guitar with the finish removed, or it just went away.
My understanding on the "Prison Sex" guitar back then was that it had different strings for the Drop B tuning. Since that's not something a tech is likely to do during a show, it was a standalone item while the 2 Silverbursts stayed in Drop D the whole time. It's likely that the neck tension was also set up differently for the different string gauges. I suppose the distinctive growl of that tuning might have sounded better through those pickups, if they were different. Also, being a completely different looking guitar helps eliminate mistakenly grabbing the wrong one with a quick glance. That could have factored in.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

tys0n wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:12 pm I thought you were a mod?
Stopped doing that that several years ago. Interest and time for tdn was waning etc
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

junior wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:45 pm
bob wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:27 pm The baige coloured guitar Adam used live for Parabola goes back as far as ''Undertow"" ? whats the story with that, if they're is one. i just thought he used that on Parabola cause he liked the sound of it better, didnt know it went so far back.
It goes back to at least the Aenima tour. I can't speak for his live gear before then.
I know I've seen a "gear rundown" somewhere before that showed a black Les Paul used for "Prison Sex", but I've never seen that one in person. I suppose that could be the same guitar with the finish removed, or it just went away.
My understanding on the "Prison Sex" guitar back then was that it had different strings for the Drop B tuning. Since that's not something a tech is likely to do during a show, it was a standalone item while the 2 Silverbursts stayed in Drop D the whole time. It's likely that the neck tension was also set up differently for the different string gauges. I suppose the distinctive growl of that tuning might have sounded better through those pickups, if they were different. Also, being a completely different looking guitar helps eliminate mistakenly grabbing the wrong one with a quick glance. That could have factored in.
hmm! neat! old boots from back then he was still playing the regular looking Silverburst for ''Prison Sex'' as far as i remember seeing. Either way, its cool hearing these things/the differences between things.

Speaking of guitars with the finish removed. During Geddy Lee's book tour he did last year, at one of the Q&A things, he had a display of his basses on the stage. The black and white Rickenbacker he used back in the 70s was up there but he had the black paint removed and its just wood stained now. The crowd didnt react or anything, He knew it was a mistake and said thats the only time he did that etc,etc, so the infamous bass you see in all those old photos is still in his hands but its not the same anymore :/

''or it just went away''' What did you do,Junior ? steal it? haha, jk ;)
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman

tys0n wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:35 pm tdn is still a thing?
it is. not a ton outside of shitposts these days
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

It died when they banned that Tyson guy.
Canned audience laughter
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

bob wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:02 pm ''or it just went away''' What did you do,Junior ? steal it? haha, jk ;)
"Retired" might have been a better description. Or maybe he traded it with someone, or still has it at home somewhere.

Speaking of stolen, when Maynard's Steinberger was stolen in Montreal on the Lateralus tour, it was in Adam's guitar rack right next to his guitars.
The thief either didn't know the vast difference in value, or it was probably just easier since it was smaller. Maybe they thought it was expensive since it was kinda funky looking. Or just wanted it because it was Maynard's.
Not to take anything away from that act of thievery being bad, but the thief definitely took the least expensive item in front of them.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

junior wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:11 pm
bob wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:02 pm ''or it just went away''' What did you do,Junior ? steal it? haha, jk ;)
"Retired" might have been a better description. Or maybe he traded it with someone, or still has it at home somewhere.

Speaking of stolen, when Maynard's Steinberger was stolen in Montreal on the Lateralus tour, it was in Adam's guitar rack right next to his guitars.
The thief either didn't know the vast difference in value, or it was probably just easier since it was smaller. Maybe they thought it was expensive since it was kinda funky looking. Or just wanted it because it was Maynard's.
Not to take anything away from that act of thievery being bad, but the thief definitely took the least expensive item in front of them.

aah no, really ? someone stole something back in 01' like that, damn. Figures it was in Quebec, what do you expect! :? Maybe they had a conscience a wee bit or something. Taking one of those Silverburts, super bad karma. Still bad,dont get me wrong. You dont do that! It was a 6 string,right ?

Remember, Geddy Lee use to use a bass of that type for Grace Under Pressure. He got rid of that bass apparently. I think anyway? pretty sure. When his solo album came out he did an in store signing were i live in St.Catharines.(same place Neil Peart grew up) he was pretty cool! I brought Power Windows.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

All this gear talk got me re-watching the videos that Dunlop TV did with Frank (Adam's rig) and Chris Schlyer (Justin's rig).

junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

nxrm wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:38 am All this gear talk got me re-watching the videos that Dunlop TV did with Frank (Adam's rig) and Chris Schlyer (Justin's rig).
The rigs have changed a little since then (2007?), but not that much, really.
The techs have changed.

"Frank" (Chris Leahey) was Adam's tech for about 12-13 years, starting in 2001.
Unfortunately, he passed away in 2014, and that left a hole in a lot of our lives. He was quite liked.
Touring life can be rough on the body, and he'd been on the road for a long time.
In the 80's he was a bass player in a metal band, and prior to coming to Tool had been a tech for Alice Cooper and Dio, among others. It was either Alice or Ronnie who gave him the nickname of "Frank", but I don't recall which one did it.

Chris Schleyer first came to the Tool organization via APC. He was the guitar tech for James and Jeordie on the "13th Step" tour, and had auditioned for the spot that eventually went to Iha. Mat Mitchell was Billy's tech on that tour. Schleyer had been the guitar player in the band "Prick" in the 90's, as well as a few other bands.
Prior to the "10,000 Days" tour, "Frank" was teching for both Adam and Justin, as did previous guitar techs (including Billy Howerdel).
Schleyer was heavily involved in teching for APC and Puscifer for some time after, as well, and played in Carina Round's band on occasion during a Puscifer tour that she opened.
Maynard often inserted the word "Schleyer" into songs to wind him up. There are many occurrences of that on the "Stone and Echo" APC live DVD, and at least one on the "Puscifer...What Is?" DVD, and I'm sure some YouTube clips of all 3 bands.
Chris is currently a real estate agent in the Las Vegas area, and had been a tech for Katy Perry and Green Day in recent years.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

bob wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:06 am aah no, really ? someone stole something back in 01' like that, damn. Figures it was in Quebec, what do you expect! :? Maybe they had a conscience a wee bit or something. Taking one of those Silverburts, super bad karma. Still bad,dont get me wrong. You dont do that! It was a 6 string,right ?

Someone sounds guilty
Canned audience laughter
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

junior wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:08 pm The rigs have changed a little since then (2007?), but not that much, really.
The techs have changed.

Unfortunately, he passed away in 2014, and that left a hole in a lot of our lives. He was quite liked.
Touring life can be rough on the body, and he'd been on the road for a long time.
In the 80's he was a bass player in a metal band, and prior to coming to Tool had been a tech for Alice Cooper and Dio, among others. It was either Alice or Ronnie who gave him the nickname of "Frank", but I don't recall which one did it.

Chris Schleyer first came to the Tool organization via APC. He was the guitar tech for James and Jeordie on the "13th Step" tour, and had auditioned for the spot that eventually went to Iha. Mat Mitchell was Billy's tech on that tour. Schleyer had been the guitar player in the band "Prick" in the 90's, as well as a few other bands.
Prior to the "10,000 Days" tour, "Frank" was teching for both Adam and Justin, as did previous guitar techs (including Billy Howerdel).
Schleyer was heavily involved in teching for APC and Puscifer for some time after, as well, and played in Carina Round's band on occasion during a Puscifer tour that she opened.
Maynard often inserted the word "Schleyer" into songs to wind him up. There are many occurrences of that on the "Stone and Echo" APC live DVD, and at least one on the "Puscifer...What Is?" DVD, and I'm sure some YouTube clips of all 3 bands.
Chris is currently a real estate agent in the Las Vegas area, and had been a tech for Katy Perry and Green Day in recent years.
Holy smokes! Thanks for sharing all of this history. Despite the difficulty and the monotony of life on the road, I bet you've got some awesome stories. :D
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman

tys0n wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:27 pm It died when they banned that Tyson guy.
Virgin colada, no rum
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

tys0n wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:20 pm
bob wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:06 am aah no, really ? someone stole something back in 01' like that, damn. Figures it was in Quebec, what do you expect! :? Maybe they had a conscience a wee bit or something. Taking one of those Silverburts, super bad karma. Still bad,dont get me wrong. You dont do that! It was a 6 string,right ?

Someone sounds guilty

dont ever call me French! Never been to Montreal. Tell Maynard i'll give it back to him someday. whenever he needs it i suppose ;)
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

junior wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:08 pm
nxrm wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:38 am All this gear talk got me re-watching the videos that Dunlop TV did with Frank (Adam's rig) and Chris Schlyer (Justin's rig).
The rigs have changed a little since then (2007?), but not that much, really.
The techs have changed.

wow, thats a lot of info for sure! I've heard Tool recordings were he goes ''fret for your Schleyer, etc etc'' Neato! never thought i'd hear that again. More interesting to me is, the fact that guy played in Prick! i was lucky enough to see Prick open for nin/bowie tour in 95. Prick was fn' awesome but its too bad Kevin Mcmahon pretty much hated the industry from what i heard and just never really bothered after that, other then a small tour or so. What a drag that didnt work out. Years later i saw most of those Prick songs on the 95 album were written in the early 80s. Trent Reznor helped him ''industrialize'' them for 'Communique' in 95. Thats a great album that mostly got over looked. Same with Raymond Watts material 'PIG' who i always felt was way better then most people ever knew. Luckily Raymond Watts has been back at it since 2016. Ive seen PIG every year since then up till this year cause y'know. Speaking of. he prob would of played here again this Sept or so but no dice.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Maynard had COVID in February

Maynard James Keenan on recovering from COVID-19, new Puscifer music and anti-maskers

https://www.azcentral.com/story/enterta ... 929660002/
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Probably got it in New Zealand, those filthy fucks.
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

tys0n wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:48 pm Probably got it in New Zealand, those filthy fucks.
I thought it was those Australian fuckers with their kangaroos and stuff :twisted: