Post by tys0n »

You just don't understand dude.
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by liz »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:14 am
Our ideas of a fun time differ significantly. All power to TA for his enthusiasm but ya sure as shit gotta expect some push back if ya go around so matter of factly essentially telling people they just don't understand.
Ahhh Busty. Nail in head (whoops nail on head :) )

Yep TA opens himself up to giggles when he ascribes motives and intent to peeps who still occupy the planet. At this point all is potentially verified only when one of them speaks (unless its Danny being wildly optimistic on the release date of the next album :) ). Until then TA can study and theorize to his hearts content although I'd suggest he not proclaim. Personally I prefer to just listen
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

Well, at least we are all learning some math through this experience
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Whowatchesthewampas wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:30 am Well, at least we are all learning some math through this experience
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

If everything in that video is true, I find it incredibly difficult to believe that it is the intentional result of human effort. Impressive work in piecing it together, even if it's just one fan's interpretation of the art. I'm not smart enough to know the difference! I'm glad I can enjoy the album on probably the lowest most childlike level.
novaconda
My pain is just an excuse

Post by novaconda »

Exactly... There are plenty of ways that eventually the math involved will have to come back and become full-circle regardless of how it is presented. With that being said, I can see how some of the information presented would be intentional by the band. Some of the other concepts are fun and potentially true as well, however I do feel that even with this band many ideas were not intentional, but rather coincidence based on the math circling back around eventually through specifically-designed time signatures or pure luck.

On another note, I can't believe someone can produce a video trying to dissect FI, post it with the intention and possibly excitement to share what he/she has discovered and interpreted, only to have their ideas completely shredded by another person who actually really enjoys the same music in Tool. Shows you the times we are in...almost biblical.....or.....numerical..... *opens up Adobe Premiere*
The last mile is the one you really need to make.
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

Boldizar wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:56 am
Whowatchesthewampas wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:30 am Well, at least we are all learning some math through this experience
:lol:
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:25 am Not going to lie, the fact that TA has gone down a rabbit hole researching Fear Inoculum and searching for connections and meanings, while to a lot of you seems like a waste of time, to me sounds like a fun time, the esoteric nature of the shit he is talking about, the research it entails, far too much work for me, but man, what a fun time the dude must have had.

Rock on TA.
I agree - I like that he indulges his hobby. Just because I don't buy into it doesn't mean it doesn't have value
Bobby Bottleservice
Basssssssss

Post by Bobby Bottleservice »

Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the end of Pneuma and the end of 7empest. Not identical, but Justin is playing the very same notes at the end of each of these songs. I don't think I am grasping at straws, so listen to the end of these two songs. I don't think it is a coincidence, I do think this was intentional to their writing. I do not try to dissect this music, but this one - I think it means something. No, I am not wearing my tin foil hat. Just wondering what everyone else thinks of the similarities at the end of these 2 songs sounding alike at the very end. I think this was intentional and amazing!
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Bobby Bottleservice wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:48 pm Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the end of Pneuma and the end of 7empest. Not identical, but Justin is playing the very same notes at the end of each of these songs. I don't think I am grasping at straws, so listen to the end of these two songs. I don't think it is a coincidence, I do think this was intentional to their writing. I do not try to dissect this music, but this one - I think it means something. No, I am not wearing my tin foil hat. Just wondering what everyone else thinks of the similarities at the end of these 2 songs sounding alike at the very end. I think this was intentional and amazing!
ya, its pretty close. i never noticed that but it trails off the same way. I dont think its intentional but good eye/ear on that one. Kinda like a part near the end of Tempest, it sounds like riffs from ''undertow''. The first part of Pneuma kinda reminded me of ''the patient'' at first too, esp the da-da...da-da---da.da at 03:18 to be specific. Now i dont think that as much but its not that different really. In CCtrip one part of the drum fill stuff sounds just like ''third eye''. Dannys ten times better in the songs.

Also someone noticed awhile ago, right in the middle of ''fear inoculoum'' Maynard says ''mitosis'' which means divide in half and all that. i find that hard to believe it wasnt on purpose. he prob chose to put that word there once he had it written out or something,who knows. Who can say, best thiing foor him really, his theerapy was gooing nowhere! bahah.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

72826. That's all I'm sayin'. :D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

rinkwhopper wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:57 am If everything in that video is true, I find it incredibly difficult to believe that it is the intentional result of human effort. Impressive work in piecing it together, even if it's just one fan's interpretation of the art. I'm not smart enough to know the difference! I'm glad I can enjoy the album on probably the lowest most childlike level.
I can’t stop laughing. rink, you sonofabitch...
Juicy Fruit
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
ToolArchive
Bronco's Fan

Post by ToolArchive »

tys0n wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:25 am Not going to lie, the fact that TA has gone down a rabbit hole researching Fear Inoculum and searching for connections and meanings, while to a lot of you seems like a waste of time, to me sounds like a fun time, the esoteric nature of the shit he is talking about, the research it entails, far too much work for me, but man, what a fun time the dude must have had.

Rock on TA.
I did have a lot of fun. Still am, cause I'm not done yet.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

nxrm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:29 pm 72826. That's all I'm sayin'. :D
good one! that spells SATAN on the phone as you probably know. i tell ya! that TOOL band is a bunch of satanists! you see what all this number stuff is doing to your brain!~ :P
ToolArchive
Bronco's Fan

Post by ToolArchive »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:14 am

Rock on TA.
Our ideas of a fun time differ significantly. All power to TA for his enthusiasm but ya sure as shit gotta expect some push back if ya go around so matter of factly essentially telling people they just don't understand.
I'm only telling a handful of people they "just don't understand" after they imply that core numbers and their significance in the album, like 58, and everything that implies to the band and concept is "just coincidence". Like I said, it's more "underthinking", than overthinking. But I acknowledge my decision to make the video relatively short, since it could have easily been hours long with far more information and commentary, adds to people getting the wrong impression.
ToolArchive
Bronco's Fan

Post by ToolArchive »

novaconda wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:36 am Exactly... There are plenty of ways that eventually the math involved will have to come back and become full-circle regardless of how it is presented. With that being said, I can see how some of the information presented would be intentional by the band. Some of the other concepts are fun and potentially true as well, however I do feel that even with this band many ideas were not intentional, but rather coincidence based on the math circling back around eventually through specifically-designed time signatures or pure luck.
I'm sure Tool are so in tune with each other that the final result on the album is a mix of synchronicity and absolute numerical determination, though I tend to lean more towards the mathematical structure of the riffs, words and patters being more choice than random. Maybe a riff or cycle begins by "random" feeling, and then they count it out and it's in 33/8, and then they consciously build upon that with more 7 & 33 stuff (33 = first 7 Fibonacci numbers).
ToolArchive
Bronco's Fan

Post by ToolArchive »

bob wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:13 pm
Also someone noticed awhile ago, right in the middle of ''fear inoculoum'' Maynard says ''mitosis'' which means divide in half and all that. i find that hard to believe it wasnt on purpose. he prob chose to put that word there once he had it written out or something,who knows. Who can say, best thiing foor him really, his theerapy was gooing nowhere! bahah.
It wasn't coincidence, Maynard does that in other songs too, or the band denotes the importance of the center of the song they're in with a new section change. Has to do with duality. There was one part I was originally going to put in the video about just that, and it probably carries more information in the riffs and hits than other center-point moments in the song.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

ToolArchive wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:24 am
It wasn't coincidence, Maynard does that in other songs too, or the band denotes the importance of the center of the song they're in with a new section change. Has to do with duality. There was one part I was originally going to put in the video about just that, and it probably carries more information in the riffs and hits than other center-point moments in the song.
ya, like i said. thats too on the nose to be an accident. Your way into it with all the numbers. Thats cool if your drawn to that and it does things for ya, i dont think its done on purpose that intensely but that doesnt matter. If it works for ya then thats pretty cool. Merry ho- ho!
levba
My pain is just an excuse

Post by levba »

ToolArchive = lol
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:11 am
nxrm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:29 pm 72826. That's all I'm sayin'. :D
good one! that spells SATAN on the phone as you probably know. i tell ya! that TOOL band is a bunch of satanists! you see what all this number stuff is doing to your brain!~ :P
:D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Bobby Bottleservice
Basssssssss

Bobby Bottleservice wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:48 pm Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the end of Pneuma and the end of 7empest. Not identical, but Justin is playing the very same notes at the end of each of these songs. I don't think I am grasping at straws, so listen to the end of these two songs. I don't think it is a coincidence, I do think this was intentional to their writing. I do not try to dissect this music, but this one - I think it means something. No, I am not wearing my tin foil hat. Just wondering what everyone else thinks of the similarities at the end of these 2 songs sounding alike at the very end. I think this was intentional and amazing!
ya, its pretty close. i never noticed that but it trails off the same way. I dont think its intentional but good eye/ear on that one. Kinda like a part near the end of Tempest, it sounds like riffs from ''undertow''. The first part of Pneuma kinda reminded me of ''the patient'' at first too, esp the da-da...da-da---da.da at 03:18 to be specific. Now i dont think that as much but its not that different really. In CCtrip one part of the drum fill stuff sounds just like ''third eye''. Dannys ten times better in the songs.

Bob, It's not close, it is almost identical. Listen again. Maybe I am reading into to it too much.
Bobby Bottleservice
Basssssssss

All, Some of us (on this thread) do not agree with each other on a lot of things, but we are all here because we love this band. So, Happy Holidays to all of you!!! I do not think that we all will be able to enjoy a band like this band at this caliber in our lifetime, so we need to enjoy Tool before we die!

Happy Holidays to everyone here!
_peterpwn02
Bronco's Fan

Post by _peterpwn02 »

i mean we have a new album out, with many projects and curveballs also "in the works" for years, some stuff wouldve been nice for christmas, they had time, covid etc.... pot, opiate, etc...
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Boldizar wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:47 pm Funnily enough, Tool actually have a song about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnlhVVwBfew
Yes!
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

Bobby Bottleservice wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:31 pm
junior wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:36 am
Bobby Bottleservice wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:39 pm

Junior, I think it makes sense. For example, the song Lateralus. There are several different time signatures, but they all come together as 4/4 at the end. Is this what you mean?
Something like that, but I was mostly kidding, anyway.
I rarely (if ever) count what they're playing. It's more of a "feel" thing.
Okay, jokes on me Junior! I understand that you "feel" the music because you have been with this band for more than 2 decades (96 or 98?, sorry, do not think these are common to the fibonacci sequence). When I listen to this band, it just flows - but when I really listen to them (on my headphones and no interruptions) I hear all the different polyrhythms. Ok, I think I am sounding like I took some acid. I'll shut the fuck up.
I guess it’s hard to describe what it is that I’m looking for when I listen to a Tool song. It’s very rarely (if ever) for recreational purposes anymore. That’s not to say that I don’t enjoy their music. I was already a fan of them before I was offered the job in 1996, and I think it’s safe to say that most of their songs weren’t as mathematical on “Opiate” and “Undertow”, so I didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about their time signatures back then. When I first started with them it was more about finding the tides in the songs and getting the lighting to flow with the highs and lows, so again, not really thinking about the time signatures.
As new albums came along I was still really just listening for where I can fit in more-so than how many of any particular note or part repeats. I’m aware that those things are there, but don’t really zone in on it. I try to identify certain signposts and figure out an organized way to get from one to another.
Of course, a lot of the cueing needs to line up with them, so I really just try to keep my eyes on the band members and look for visual cues. I think some of the time I’ve spent at jazz clubs (such as The Baked Potato) has helped me to figure some of that out. With Tool I spend most of my time trying to lock with Danny, but the signs aren’t always from him. They do a pretty good job of spreading those duties around amongst themselves.

So.
Anyway. Enough of that for now.