Chi Cheng Passes Away

Music in all its forms and styles
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

RIP
I thought I had heard he was making progress; I guess not.
An open letter from his family...
“Our dearest Family,
This is the hardest thing to write to you. Your love and heart and devotion to Chi was unconditional and amazing. I know that you will always remember him as a giant of a man on stage with a heart for every one of you. He was taken to the emegency room and at 3 am today his heart just suddenly stopped. He left this world with me singing songs he liked in his ear.
He fought the good fight.You stood by him sending love daily. He knew that he was very loved and never alone. I will write more later. I will be going through the oneloveforchi and any other information may not be reliable. If you have any stories or messages to share please send them to the onelove site. Please hold Mae and Ming and the siblings and especially Chi’s son, Gabriel in your prayers. It is so hard to let go.
With great love and “Much Respect!” Mom J (and Chi)”
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Wow yeah I thought he was progressing. Sad day.
SteveBobSteve
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms
High on the waves you make for us
But not since you left have the waves come
The bar is dead and the rocket's rain is keeping you wet in your deathbed
so high on the waves you made for us
And not since you left have the waves come... have the waves come...

RIP
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

I wonder if that last album he made with the Deftones will see the light of day?
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Bogart said
I wonder if that last album he made with the Deftones will see the light of day?

Probably not.

SteveBobSteve
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Shit...

I thought he was doing well too.

This is very sad.

Bogart said

I imagine it probably will sometime in the future as like a memorial deal.

Don't mow your lawn
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Such sad news. 
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

That's shocking, and such a drag.  On the other hand, it must have been unbelievably frustrating to be in his situation.  I can't even imagine it.
Ki77aan :twisted:
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

I've never experienced a coma (thankfully), but I've heard stories from people who have and they have said that there were times when they would experience brief moments of lucidity in their condition and would "wake up" inside of themselves. They couldn't move their body, but they could hear people talking to them in their hospital room and whatnot. That's why they say to talk to people if they're in a coma, because they can hear you on some level, way inside their head, and it can possibly give them some degree of comfort even if they can't really let you know.

I was hoping he would come out of it one day, and it seemed like he was making some progress. Very sad news. Use your seatbelt folks.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

snazzlefrack said

Bogart said

Probably not.

according to Chino and Abe in a fairly recent interview, plans were to release it someday "when the time was right"... not sure if or when that time may be

shitty news for sure
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Bogart said

I think it will and should.  Why would the rest of the Deftones not do it to honor him, or at the very least give his portion of money to his family?

This news is not unexpected but it sucks. 

Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Very sad. Gonna crank some DEFTONES now.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

RIP...

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
GaryS
Maynard Believer

Post by GaryS »

Awful news. Seen Deftones twice, neither with Chi, sadly. Hopefully one day we'll get to hear his last musical efforts. 
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
bag-a-bones
My pain is just an excuse

Post by bag-a-bones »

So sad.......RIP......Prayers for the family.
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

Just found out about this now (Sunday night) since I was internetless over the weekend. Sad news indeed.

Weird that it happens this weekend as I have been on a noting but Deftones binge (Adrenaline, Around the Fur, and White Pony) after a hiatus since the concert.

At the Dallas show a few months ago Chino said he was doing better (moving/making noises/opening eyes) and to keep him in your prayers.

Sad sad times for such a wonderful band.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Really sad news, and like everyone else, this took me by surprise as I thought he was in imporving, albeit slowly. At least he is now at peace. Never got to see him live as I missed the early BDO gig and they didn't make too many trips to Wellington, bit gutted. Will rock twice as hard next month when I catch the band though.

Have been cranking deftones all day, shit this guy was a talent, and by the sounds of the eulogies floating round, a top notch guy.

RIP
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

I heard about it over the weekend and kind of blocked it all out but now it's hitting me. I was 15 years old when I got my first bass which I still have to this day (I'm 28 now).

I had always loved music up to that point but then I discovered the Deftones and Chi brought to light for me how amazing a bass guitar could really be. I started a band and picked up bass with "7 Words" being the first song I ever learned.

I'm so saddened to hear of his death as there were definitely signs of improvement. For his family to have to go through such tragedy over the last 4 years is awful. I wish them nothing but peace and hapiness for their remaining time on this beautiful planet.

If I can say one this it's that Chi was definitely the first bass player I ever really took note of. Not to say other bassists aren't amazing but at that time in my life he shined and still to this day when I listen to them I remember how wonderful the feeling was to pick up that instrument and make it sing. That's all because of Chi...

Thank you Chi! My thoughts are with you forever.

-Damian
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

Bogart said

I heard an interview with Stephen that said they were kind of keeping it in their back pocket. I wonder if they'll release it and donate proceeds to Chi's fam. They lost almost everything when his insurance policy ran out...

I'm wondering what they'll do when they return to Sac from their tour. I live in Sacramento so hopefully they'll do some sort of a benefit show? Who knows... damn shame...
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

As I previously said, I'm sure it'll be released now.  They were probably waiting in the hopes that he would recover to release it.
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Sad news indeed.  My thoughts go out to his family, friends and everyone in the Deftones community.  He lives on in the music he created.  Rest in Peace.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Plus his name alone sounds like he 'cashed in' so he's gotta be happy, no matter where he's at, right?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.