Album Of The Week - "THE MASK AND THE MIRROR" - LOREENA MCKENNITT

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
I'm going to assume we're talking about me. I had every intention of listening to the album despite my general dislike for Fiona Apple, and just didn't get a chance.  To be honjest I've found it hard to find time to really listen to that last couple of albums.  Maybe I'll get a chance to in the next few weeks.

Nothing wrong with that, brother. We all have lives outside of this forum. That's why I put my selection off last week, for example.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The Boss said

Ravenpig said
Eh one , shall we say, prolific poster straight up told me he more than likely wasn't going to listen to it. Not a big deal except for...

This is someone who I always thought would give an album an honest chance. But as far as I know he didn't.

You want to read my paper? I don't even want to read my paper. I'll think about it, fair enough? I'm pretty insecure about it, to be honest.

Are-are we talking about me? Did I fuck up?

I'm not joking, man, half the time on a weekend here I'm drunk as shit. Like, right now. Sorry I didn't listen to it. I'd be lying if I said I was going to listen to it now, to make you feel better. (Trying to listen to KMFDM when they didn't suck lengthy cock).

Be insecure. That means you're not a cocky bastard who thinks he knows everything. I had a bit to do with academia during my honours thesis, and honestly: academics LOVE people blowing them. Say something that might offend them = you're fucked.

I've never hit Masters or PhD in sociology, for a bunch of reasons. A big one is that academics in that field are usually weak.

Be afraid. I'm writing an argument against the war on drugs, and another one on how humans have been slowly killing all species since the Neolithic revolution. I'm not dogmatic, and I love every time my own opinions are solidly proved wrong. I don't hold a university position; nor do you. We should feel grateful about being embarrassed, and protective of our work. It means that what we put down made sense to us at some point.

I think we'll swap work eventually, dude. I dig you, and I honestly think we could be helpful to each other. We should set up a thing where we both proofread each other's work, and then do oral.

1st bold:  No, not at all

2nd:  Woo hoo!  I love it when people read their paper out loud!

But in all seriousness, I'll think about it.  I don't think I've ever had anyone other than a Prof/Teacher read one of my papers.
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

hellboy1975 said
I'm going to assume we're talking about me. I had every intention of listening to the album despite my general dislike for Fiona Apple, and just didn't get a chance.  To be honjest I've found it hard to find time to really listen to that last couple of albums.  Maybe I'll get a chance to in the next few weeks.

After re-reading my post I came off as much more assholish than I thought I did.  I was trying to word it in a way only you would get it (wasn't trying to call or single you out).

Anyway, please excuse my moment of butt-hurtedness.  I didn't really mean anything by it.

Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

No offense taken.  I still think Fiona Apple sucks, but I will listen to the record eventually.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Fair enough
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Quality pick, thanx. I can't say it's necessarily my perfect cup o' tea (I'm a coffee kind fella), but I can't fault it for the most part.  I mostly enjoyed it on first listen, having never heard it before.  There are certainly parts I'd likely skip regularly (the track that starts around 15 minutes, for instance), but it's redeeming qualities, and there are several, will likely see me adding it to my collection and checking out other stuff when I'm on the hunt but not sure what I'm looking for if for no other reason than to add to the kids' bedtime tunes. 
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

UndKeineEier said

snazzlefrack said

The Boss said

snazzlefrack said
Interesting. Fuck I'm glad I chose not to partake in this album of the week shit. Y'all have more musical knowledge than I care to apprehend.

That said I do enjoy listening to a fresh album every week.

I think that's a little unfair. My, personal, point was to offer something that I thought our friends hadn't heard before - but still might dig.

What makes you think you can't do the same? For example, Tyson owned my shit. I now want to hear everything that his, specific, offering was all about.

Wasn't that the point? Fly your freak flag, or whatever? Get your friends into music that they MIGHT like?

Let's face it: we all dig TOOL in a big way, but we still have unique taste. So let's share it.

I agree. My point is that my musical library consists of artists y'all have already heard. I'm pretty lame (lazy) in the music category, and am happy with listening to the same artists over and over.

So if I come in with an album of the week being Lateralus or Around the Fur, what's the point in that?

Moving on, I just wanted to applaud your pick and thank you for sharing it with us.

There could be some interesting conversation about that. 

Look at that Yes thread, it was a group that most people here were familiar with and the conversation ended up being a bit more in-depth than for the other albums.

Anyways I checked out a bit of this album earlier and it sounded alright.  I still have to check out that Fiona Apple album, but after that I'll be looking into this.

Edit:  I think I know what my next AOTW choice will be.  And no it's not Deftones or Tool.

That's because it went off-topic talking about other Yes albums.  At least half that thread was people saying, "Oh you shoulda put this Yes album" and things of that nature. 

I think Around the Fur would make for a much more interesting AOTW because we don't need 5 pages of everyone saying how awesome Lateralus is.  I mean face it, that and Aenima are the only things people seem to 100% agree on around here.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Crow - I wanted to listen all the way through before coming back to this.  There are a lot of positives there, mostly musically.  While I think she has a solid voice and it's rather pleasing at times, my ears got fatigued quickly with the delivery.  Somebody else commented it was "samey" or something, but that wasn't it for me.  I heard some variation, it's just not my thing.  

Musically, it was quite good.  You can tell she has a great band and the material was interesting.  Overall, glad I listened, but doubt I'll go back to it.

Have you ever tried any Kate Bush?  I can only imagine she was an influence on McKennitt.  I kept comparing them, and Kate wins for me.

This is probably one of her most well known songs (very 80's).  I like a lot of her work and love her collabs with Gabriel

Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

^ That video aptly sums up my entire life.
Don't mow your lawn
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

Reminded me of Kate Bush also.  I dug the music more then the singing but all in all a solid pic.  Does she compose the music or just put vocals to it?
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

I don't mind it... she has a nice voice.

Professor of Lesbian Science
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

On first listen this album was to me was repetitive yet varied at the same time, a contradiction of terms I know. The repetition came from the vocalist, she never seemed to vary her delivery but the instrumentation on the album sent me though the bazaars of Turkey, the flat land of Ireland and though the hills of the Scottish highlands. It sounded nothing like Fiona Apple or Enya, at least to me. While not my cup of tea it was beautiful and ethereal, something I'd throw on if I was ever looking to get laid with some hippie chick.

7 incense sticks out of 10.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said
On first listen this album was to me was repetitive yet varied at the same time, a contradiction of terms I know. The repetition came from the vocalist, she never seemed to vary her delivery but the instrumentation on the album sent me though the bazaars of Turkey, the flat land of Ireland and though the hills of the Scottish highlands. It sounded nothing like Fiona Apple or Enya, at least to me. While not my cup of tea it was beautiful and ethereal, something I'd throw on if I was ever looking to get laid with some hippie chick.

7 incense sticks out of 10.

We'll try to make that happen in Cambodia.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

As long as she is Scandinavian, oh yeah