Tool - 1st May 2013 - Entertainment Centre, Adelaide, SA

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

all true: http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/news/tournew ... orders.htm

how about we give maynie even more shit for showing up in Melbourne... tentatively rescheduled for tomorrow

Trust me, I'm the Doctor
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Brendan
Bronco's Fan

Post by Brendan »

Yep, just got a text. Just dropped by the Entertainment Centre to grab tix literally five mins ago and no mention of it. A lot of people there already. Wow, many people are going to be pissed. But, if he's sick, not much they can do.

Here's the SMS:

"TOOL concert postponed tonight. Event will proceed Wed 1 May. Visit http://www.facebook.com/AdelaideEntertainmentCentre for further information."

I'm not getting my hopes up for tomorrow night.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Wow
MarryHanback
of Arimathea

Post by MarryHanback »

snazzlefrass said

What a champ. I'll be in Australia for a few days, Sunday through Wednesday. Can't say I'll be in Adelaide long, we're taking it day by day and we plan on taking in as much as we can before we head back to work. Hope to see you at the show. Like I said, I'll be eye fucking Carey's drum kit.

DUDE! I am feeling for you right now!!

What are you gonna do???
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Brendan said
Yep, just got a text. Just dropped by the Entertainment Centre to grab tix literally five mins ago and no mention of it. A lot of people there already. Wow, many people are going to be pissed. But, if he's sick, not much they can do.

Here's the SMS:

"TOOL concert postponed tonight. Event will proceed Wed 1 May. Visit http://www.facebook.com/AdelaideEntertainmentCentre for further information."

I'm not getting my hopes up for tomorrow night.

hopes for the show going on or the performance, cuz melb gigs were quality and even more so considering this was a part of the circumstance.  The late notice isn't surprising, though... most decent musos wait til the last minute to throw in the towel anticipating they'll be able to cut it... Josh Homme, Cog, and several others have done this for shows I've had tickets to.  Cog didn't even announce until the opener's set was through
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

generally gutted for all attending tonight, hopefully maymay can pull himself together for tomorrow.

as pete said, my mate reported back (spoiler free) that the melbourne shows were quality performances.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Oh that sucks, hope its not to serious! He really wasn't well for the first show, but by the second he seemed in far better spirits...perhaps he was just putting on a brave face.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Effing throat won't go. Adelaide show is postponed until Mañana, May 1st. Sorry.

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Gwarden said

Effing throat won't go. Adelaide show is postponed until Mañana, May 1st. Sorry.

I feel for the guy. that sucks. he needs to be careful.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Brendan
Bronco's Fan

Post by Brendan »

Edit: Forum borked
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Surreal night.  And I get to do it all over again (hopefully with a show) tomorrow.

Feeling pretty bad for Snazzlefrass tonight though - hope he (and a bunch of others I spoke to from Perth) can alter their travel arrangements.

Also, my understanding is that the VIP/soundcheck thing still went ahead, so not a total loss I presume.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I have a lot of respect for the Nardograss right now. He could've put on another sub-par performance, or chose to wait until he was able to fire on all cylinders. He chose the latter, and hopefully it'll pay off.

It fucking sucks, but it's better this way. Sorry for everyone who had travel plans fucked up because of this. I would be fucking furious.

I don't think people realise how far it is to fly from the States to Australia. It can really mess with your body. Or maybe I'm way off and he's just hella hungover.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Such a shit situation for all involved, but especially those that have had to travel or arranged days off work etc.. Sorry to hear.. Hopefully he gets better for tomorrow night to put on a decent show & from a selfish point of view hope he doesn't rape his voice in trying to pull it off..

From a band perspective, if their is tension between band vs Maynard, this could only add further fuel which isn't a good thing for the remaining shows & Tool as a whole going forward..
zebrax0r
Maynard Believer

Post by zebrax0r »

So anyway.

I thought Tony Danza was dead. Turns out he might not be.

Either way, I find myself agreeing with him. I have to travel back and forth from Aus to the US a couple of times a year and man - it really knocks the wind out of you. BNE --> LAX is ~11 hours 50 mins. LAX --> BNE is ~14 hours. 

It hurts. Lots. I have to say I have a lot of respect for these musicians that can somehow burn through jetlag and have their bodies perform the way they do. I'm 10/15/20 years junior these guys - and it kicks the stuffing out of me - and I don't have half of the pressure to perform that they do.

Get better soon, Jimmy.

--z
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

He's a pro, like the rest of them, and they always aim to do the best job they can. Say what you want about their laziness in writing/everyday life, ALL of Tool takes performing seriously.

If it makes any of you reassured, he struggled with flu or something in 2006 on the first major leg of 10K Days touring. I got tickets to see them in Kansas City and Chicago. KC is a 16 hour drive from my home, and they had to cancel the two shows prior to the KC one. So we had a choice: stay home and not risk the drive/money going up there and possibly miss a show, or go and possibly have them cancel another show or maybe get a subpar performance.

The KC show was his first one back, still sick, and they fucking destroyed that place, Maynard included. Even performed The Pot that night despite being told not to. So... I wouldn't worry too much.
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

lol @ everyone on twitter and instagram who's like "rest up and drink lots of wine!!1!" I don't think alcohol is what you fucking want when you're sick and your throat is shredded.

I hope the postponement was a good call and Adelaide gets a great show!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

I was under the impression they were using a sarcasm font.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

badkittygothgirl said

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

badkittygothgirl said

There's a sarcasm font, eh?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Coincidentally, the show is now exactly 11 years after Tool's last show at the Entertainment Centre, which was on May 1 2002.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

toolphishdhs said
when does the show start.   what the fuck time is it in Australia right now anyways?  its 834 pm where in florida.

Just gone past 10am here, doors open at 7pm.
Brendan
Bronco's Fan

Post by Brendan »

Well, that was incredible. Completely redeemed after Saturday in Melbourne.

Setlist iirc...

Vicarious
Opiate
Schism
Pushit
Intension
Lateralus
Intermission
Jambi
46 & 2
Aenima
Stinkfist

No Hooker and Sober.

Crowd was a bit lame compared to Melbourne.

Caught a bit of the DJ. Actually decent. The last song was (I think) Windowlicker by Aphex Twin.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Not a bad set list.  We probably won't hear from HB until tomorrow.  Wishing I could be HB's date to a TooL show right about now.
MarryHanback
of Arimathea

Post by MarryHanback »

Good show. Not their best, but overall pretty tight. Not as good as Sunday, Melbourne however.

A few fuck ups tonight, during Opiate & Schism.

Maynard did the, let the crowd sing the end of Vicarious, thing too. Overall, he didn't seem as in to it as he was in Melb. Not surprising i guess given throat issues. Shame about Hooker & nothing from Undertow.

Sound was clean. Very bass-heavy. Possibly too much in parts, but not so much to be worth whinging about.

Props to MJK for "...the rooster & his has me down...". hehe

/2cents