Tool on JJJ

The Main Event
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Crow said
KING CRIMSON.

They immediately came to mind for me as well... however, very different story for KC.  Fripp has been the one consistant factor throughout their many incarnations.  I would argue that KC could actually be considered at least 4 distinct, and very unique bands in terms of material, approach and personnel over their storied career.  Can't say the same for Zep, Rush or Floyd.  And certainly not Tool.
Ki77aan :twisted:
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

Ravenpig said
The "six and a half" comment didn't mean songs. They both said right away they don't know what it means. It was a joke, in other words.

Yes it was a joke. But the joke was the way in which he said it and probably the expression on the interviewers face after he said it, because she would have been clueless as to what he was implying. It fits in with previous interviews where they have stated firstly that they have 3-4 tracks and more recently 5-6 tracks done. Now about 6 and a half tracks. Justin remarking "neither do we" I took to imply that although they have 6 and a half written, its all subject to change, unforeseen events and Maynard's input, etc, with no realistic estimation of how material for 6 and a half tracks translates to actual progress.   
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

UndKeineEier said

bob said

ya, their will be a new album but good point on saying if it will be any good. 10 thousand days wasnt that great for them. to me their masterpiece is Lateralus and Aenima a close 2nd. Undertow is awesome too. basically its the first three album rule. someone i know mentioned that to me once and its true a lot. think of bands you like. their first 3 albums are usually the best.

I can think of a few bands where that rule doesn't apply; Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Pink Floyd for example.

MILLI VANILLI

Don't mow your lawn
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

toolphishdhs said
well said. ill really start giving a crap about them again when they release the new album. like you, and most others on here, ive got other music to listen to and other shows to see. looking to be a great summer actually. i do really like this forum, not for Tool but it is a good bunch here. i will TRY to be less negative (promise) when i come in here for the time being.  

really, though, I LOVE THE FACT THEY FINALLY ADMITTED THEY WERE NOT VERY FAR ALONG. WHY?!?!?!? because for the first time in a few years i feel like the band was being honest and forthcoming with the fanbase.

children=pwnd off lot haha.  naw prolly just lurking because he even knows how full of shit tool is, now.

Still here...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Spagett said

toolphishdhs said
well said. ill really start giving a crap about them again when they release the new album. like you, and most others on here, ive got other music to listen to and other shows to see. looking to be a great summer actually. i do really like this forum, not for Tool but it is a good bunch here. i will TRY to be less negative (promise) when i come in here for the time being.  

really, though, I LOVE THE FACT THEY FINALLY ADMITTED THEY WERE NOT VERY FAR ALONG. WHY?!?!?!? because for the first time in a few years i feel like the band was being honest and forthcoming with the fanbase.

children=pwnd off lot haha.  naw prolly just lurking because he even knows how full of shit tool is, now.

Still here...

EX OH EX OH - GOSSIP GIRL!

Really didn't what would be a good response to yours, so decided to rely on the tried and true method from the illustrious "GOSSIP GIRL".

What a great fucking show, by the way, hey?

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Saje
Maynard Believer

Post by Saje »

bob said

ya, their will be a new album but good point on saying if it will be any good. 10 thousand days wasnt that great for them. to me their masterpiece is Lateralus and Aenima a close 2nd. Undertow is awesome too. basically its the first three album rule. someone i know mentioned that to me once and its true a lot. think of bands you like. their first 3 albums are usually the best.

Taste & opinion are always going to be subjective but to say 10000 Days wasn't great for them is just ludicrous?
No qualms on Lateralus being a masterpiece but 10K Days is a ridiculously deep album, Undertow was a good album for it's day but it really only shows the formation of what was about to come from them...
Hey it's only my opinion but is 10000 Days really that maligned by folk on here?

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

toolphishdhs said

Saje said

bob said

Taste & opinion are always going to be subjective but to say 10000 Days wasn't great for them is just ludicrous?
No qualms on Lateralus being a masterpiece but 10K Days is a ridiculously deep album, Undertow was a good album for it's day but it really only shows the formation of what was about to come from them...
Hey it's only my opinion but is 10000 Days really that maligned by folk on here?

not maligned but also not in the same league as Lateralus or Aenima. it has some really good music on it but it also lacks flow in places and is lyrically not there on a lot of the album.   It is for sure better than a lot of bands best output but Lateralus is a tough act to follow being that it is their crowning achievement and is perfect.   i still really like 10k days, btw. even more than undertow and opiate actually (which im probably in the minority at least with undertow)

Hittin' all the right notes tonight. I agree, to an extent. "UNDERTOW"
 is fucking gorgeous.
Outsider
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Outsider »

^ agreed except for HB's fav. swamp song.
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

toolphishdhs said

Saje said

bob said

not maligned but also not in the same league as Lateralus or Aenima. it has some really good music on it but it also lacks flow in places and is lyrically not there on a lot of the album.   It is for sure better than a lot of bands best output but Lateralus is a tough act to follow being that it is their crowning achievement and is perfect.   i still really like 10k days, btw. even more than undertow and opiate actually (which im probably in the minority at least with undertow)

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here."

Still lyrically weak?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I must be the only one who likes the Right In Two lyrics.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

I like them. They're a bit on point but I like the message and the imagery.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I like 'em too.
Don't mow your lawn
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

toolphishdhs said
one line doesnt make an album. 

like for instance, in the same song. "monkeys killing monkeys over pieces of the ground"    FUCKING BRILLIANT.     

talk about the music on 10k days all you want because it is amazing but lyrically the album doesnt hold up 

Musically, Jambi is amazing. But lyrically, "here from the king's mountain view... shine on forever, shine on benevolent sun." I have to agree with you. Vicarious has such lazy lyrics it's almost comical, now that I think about it. I'd say Lateralus were Tool's peak both musically and lyrically.

Saje
Maynard Believer

Post by Saje »

NickTheGC said

toolphishdhs said

Saje said

bob said

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here."

Still lyrically weak?

Spot on & again without making this a discussion about personal taste, I think 10K Days gets a bad wrap sometimes... Lateralus is so perfect in every way that it was always going to be a hard task to live up to & while I initially felt similarly about "Days"in that it is half an album with some filler that doesn't gel it together, I have long since woken up to the majesty of it..
I always felt that Aenima & Lateralus could have been a double album themed like the Pumpkins "Melancholy" album with the former being the angry darker side of life but with the latter offering some hope & light to Aenima's bleakness..
10000 Days continues the potential for human evolution but with more direct suggestions for the sheep among us as to where to possibly look for it...
Opening with Vicarious is an obvious enough call to arms & for us all to wake up from judgement, ego & the curse of the single most devastating drug on the planet (TV) before Jambi does exactly the same but by looking inwards at ones psyche..
Wings Pts 1 & 2 is easily up with anything from Lateralus & I'm thinking the Reflection Trilogy particularly here, but again putting it out to us to look inwards not to others for our divine answers... " Ignorant siblings in the congregation gather around spewing sympathy, spare me. None of them can even hold a candle up to you. Blinded by choice, these hypocrites won't see.
But, enough about the collective Judas. Who could deny you were the one who illuminated your little piece of the divine?"

This shit is deep & it's only 3 songs in???
The "fillers: of Lipan Conjuring & Lost Keys set the mood for it's own behemoth of a trilogy in Rosetta Stoned/Intension/Right In Two which again are right up with the best songs of their career but the fillers I mention pay homage to the Ayahuasca/DMT spiritual experience that is so over this album..
While Rosetta mocks the wastoid druggy mentality & potential dangers of uneducated drug use (I wont even begin to try & explain the possible correlations between the real Rosetta Stone & the messages that get missed by the close minded,) Intension & Right In Two can take you away to that DMT universe if you allow it.. At the very least they are beautiful songs that can sweep even my god fearing mother off her feet!
So without rambling further than I am prone to do, I rate "Days" right up with their best when really digested & perhaps even over analyzed..
Especially then when you see a live set interjected with all albums & (again, only personal opinion) it is the tracks from Opiate & Undertow that don't sit alongside the last 3...
Dare I say any set list from Aenima/Lateralus/10K Days would in itself make a seamlessly flowing album in it's own right?

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

NickTheGC said

toolphishdhs said

Saje said

bob said

Still lyrically weak?

Holy shit, what an embarrassing piece of drivel. That's not just lyrically weak - I'm pretty sure it has Down's Syndrome.

doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

The lyrics to "Right in Two" are shit. I like the first half of the song but the second half that leads to that shitty guitar solo really ruins it for me. It doesn't suit the overall feel of the song.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Wings Pt 2 is Maynard's best accomplishment lyrically.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

toolphishdhs said

Saje said

NickTheGC said

toolphishdhs said

Saje said

bob said

Still lyrically weak?

Spot on & again without making this a discussion about personal taste, I think 10K Days gets a bad wrap sometimes... Lateralus is so perfect in every way that it was always going to be a hard task to live up to & while I initially felt similarly about "Days"in that it is half an album with some filler that doesn't gel it together, I have long since woken up to the majesty of it..
I always felt that Aenima & Lateralus could have been a double album themed like the Pumpkins "Melancholy" album with the former being the angry darker side of life but with the latter offering some hope & light to Aenima's bleakness..
10000 Days continues the potential for human evolution but with more direct suggestions for the sheep among us as to where to possibly look for it...
Opening with Vicarious is an obvious enough call to arms & for us all to wake up from judgement, ego & the curse of the single most devastating drug on the planet (TV) before Jambi does exactly the same but by looking inwards at ones psyche..
Wings Pts 1 & 2 is easily up with anything from Lateralus & I'm thinking the Reflection Trilogy particularly here, but again putting it out to us to look inwards not to others for our divine answers... " Ignorant siblings in the congregation gather around spewing sympathy, spare me. None of them can even hold a candle up to you. Blinded by choice, these hypocrites won't see.
But, enough about the collective Judas. Who could deny you were the one who illuminated your little piece of the divine?"

The "fillers: of Lipan Conjuring & Lost Keys set the mood for it's own behemoth of a trilogy in Rosetta Stoned/Intension/Right In Two which again are right up with the best songs of their career but the fillers I mention pay homage to the Ayahuasca/DMT spiritual experience that is so over this album..
While Rosetta mocks the wastoid druggy mentality & potential dangers of uneducated drug use (I wont even begin to try & explain the possible correlations between the real Rosetta Stone & the messages that get missed by the close minded,) Intension & Right In Two can take you away to that DMT universe if you allow it.. At the very least they are beautiful songs that can sweep even my god fearing mother off her feet!
So without rambling further than I am prone to do, I rate "Days" right up with their best when really digested & perhaps even over analyzed..
Especially then when you see a live set interjected with all albums & (again, only personal opinion) it is the tracks from Opiate & Undertow that don't sit alongside the last 3...
Dare I say any set list from Aenima/Lateralus/10K Days would in itself make a seamlessly flowing album in it's own right?

you are way over thinking this one.  again, i am in no way saying this album is bad. i love the album. it does not compare to Lateralus of Aenima, though. all the metaphysical theories you just listed will never change how brash and out of place lipan conjuring SOUNDS when it comes on. Tool is not a book, they are a band that makes music. some of it is better than others. Lateralus and Aenima are better than all of the others.  how about this.

one show: choose one

D/R/T/ or Wings/10K days

HWAP or Jambi

Pushit or Right in Two

Third eye or Rosetta stoned

Grudge(Aenema would work here) or The Pot

Mantra or Lipan Conjuring

patient or intension

Wings/10K Days

Jambi

Pushit (if salival version)

Third Eye

The Pot

Mantra

The Patient
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
bag-a-bones
My pain is just an excuse

Post by bag-a-bones »

UndKeineEier said

UndKeineEier said

bob said

I can think of a few bands where that rule doesn't apply; Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Pink Floyd for example.

MILLI VANILLI

Now that's funny right there
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

toolphishdhs said

Saje said

NickTheGC said

toolphishdhs said

Saje said

bob said

Still lyrically weak?

you are way over thinking this one.  again, i am in no way saying this album is bad. i love the album. it does not compare to Lateralus of Aenima, though. all the metaphysical theories you just listed will never change how brash and out of place lipan conjuring SOUNDS when it comes on. Tool is not a book, they are a band that makes music. some of it is better than others. Lateralus and Aenima are better than all of the others.  how about this.

one show: choose one

D/R/T/ or Wings/10K days

HWAP or Jambi

Pushit or Right in Two

Third eye or Rosetta stoned

Grudge(Aenema would work here) or The Pot

Mantra or Lipan Conjuring

patient or intension

Wings/10K Days

Jambi

Right in Two

Rosetta Stoed

The Grudge

Mantra

Patient
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

Saje said
Spot on & again without making this a discussion about personal taste… Lateralus is so perfect in every way 

I'm glad that wasn't a personal taste discussion point.