Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson - All Things Related Thread

Music in all its forms and styles
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

@RP - I get where you are coming from dude.  Some bands/albums are like that.  Takes a few listens to figure out exactly what you think about the music.  Baroness is a band like that for me.  Was not a fan of the Blue Album or Yellow and Green at all.  Discovered the Red Album and dug the shit out of it.  Then, slowly over repeated listens I grew to appreciate the Blue Album and now love it.  Same thing happened one day with Yellow and Green.  One of those headphone albums where all the sudden I got what they were after with the album.  I fucking NEVER thought that would happen with Yellow and Green but I paid attention to Busty on that album and stuck with it.

For many people 10,000 Days was that kind of album.  I liked it right away, but when it first came out I remember having friends that fucking HATED it and then a few months later the album grew on them.

Works the other way too just like you experienced with PT.  A number of albums I have listened to and on the first listen I was impressed but after subsequent re-listens found the work to be lacking.  That is why it is always special when you find that album that hits you right away and sticks.  Doesn't mean it is better in any way, just something about it clicks immediately.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Exactly.  Very well put. 

If I was to be 100% honest the only band I've ever loved from the second I first heard them to the present time is The Doors.  (Even NIN and Tool didn't do that for me.  Always liked them both but it took some time before they "clicked" for me.)  I wasn't more than 10 or 11 the first time I heard "Light my Fire" and I still remember vividly how much my mind was blown.  Even their weakest albums hit the spot for me.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Oh shit RP, look what you've done now!!

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/04 ... pine-tree/

“Blackfield has made a new record, though I’m not as involved with it as much as I once was — for reasons which are obvious and apparent,” Wilson tells us. “Aviv, my partner in Blackfield, wrote all of the songs on this new record, but I still helped him to produce and record the album, and I sung on a few songs. They have some other great guest singers that have come in and sang on some of the other songs, too. So, Blackfield is certainly moving forward. The last thing I want to be doing is holding other people back.”

Porcupine Tree, however, is a different issue — since he’s the confirmed frontman of the group, rather than part of a collaborative team. That band, he says, is now on an indefinite hiatus after the release of a live set in 2012.

“I think it’s slightly more complex with Porcupine Tree, which can’t really happen without me instigating it and being the main writer and director of that situation — so, that’s more problematic,” Wilson added. “I don’t have time in my life to do that, and what I’m doing now. So, I guess I have made the decision, right now, to concentrate on the solo career. But that’s not to say that the band has broken up or anything like that. It’s always conceivable that we could get back together in a year or five years, or 10 years. I really can’t say. There are no plans at the moment.”

Ki77aan :twisted:
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Geez Mr. Wilson you're so sensitive. It's only humble opinion!
Hey! Denty!
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Thanks to all for the great video suggestions.I will definately be checking these out.

@edin-Yea I am really digging my modest collection of SW/PT discs.This is getting over 80% of my limited listening time.Grace for Drowning is emerging as a fav.Probably pick up a couple more in the near future too.
edin
My pain is just an excuse

Post by edin »

I forgot who else is going to the upcoming shows besides Kittaan and I but please do give a review afterwards. May 3rd and 4th for me is coming fast. A lot of driving involved to make these two shows but I am sure it will be worth it. I was happy to hear they got Marco back as a drummer not that I wasn't sure Chad would be stellar but I just want to see the originals. And not that I'm glad Chad had a serious family problem come up. Hope all is okay there.

Also, Steven will be in Boston soon. I wonder what he will have to say about the recent tragedy. Maybe dedicate a song? The Raven That Refused to Sing would be nice.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

edin said
I forgot who else is going to the upcoming shows besides Kittaan and I but please do give a review afterwards. May 3rd and 4th for me is coming fast. A lot of driving involved to make these two shows but I am sure it will be worth it. I was happy to hear they got Marco back as a drummer not that I wasn't sure Chad would be stellar but I just want to see the originals. And not that I'm glad Chad had a serious family problem come up. Hope all is okay there.

Also, Steven will be in Boston soon. I wonder what he will have to say about the recent tragedy. Maybe dedicate a song? The Raven That Refused to Sing would be nice.

Hey Edin.  I will definitely post my review, but I'm leaving on a trip very early the next morning, so it might be a while until I can get it together.  I have heard that Marco was back, but didn't know why.  That sucks about Chad.  I know Bobage will be bummed it won't be Chad, but only until he checks Marco out live.  8`)

Enjoy your shows!
edin

Post by edin »

I forgot that this would definitely be significant to post. This is Danny and Marco in LA together on the 13th of this month. I wonder how they ended up meeting. Maybe Danny is a Steven Wilson fan?

Now all this photo needs is Gavin.
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Wouldn't doubt it a bit.Also a Zappa fan,as that's the second time I have seen him with a Zappa shirt on.Great musicians are always going to respect each other's work.

Ya get my PM edin?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Great pic Edin!

DC is definitely a PT fan, he's mentioned them previously.  And clearly a huge Zappa fan.

Not only missing Gavin in the pic, but if you add Vinnie you'd have 4 of my very favorite drummers.  There are dozens more, but those are my current faves.

Listening to Raven on my new BD player right now.  Awesome Sauce.
oldesch
Bronco's Fan

Post by oldesch »

i was at the philly show. another awesome set. raven songs were amazing. and we got marco on drums which  was nice
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Oldesch - glad you enjoyed the show and counting the days to mine in less than two weeks.

You Wilson heads may enjoy this NY Times article:  

An Artist Brushes Off the Constraints of Chart-Friendly Songs

Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

Love porcupine tree. Loved them straight away after I heard Bonnie The Cat. Love Gavin, he's so much better than danny imo. I haven't listened to stevens solo things that much (yet). But I will probably like it, I hope. My friend actually met steven not so long ago, so jealous... 
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

I hear a lot about these guys, any songs you all would especially recommend to someone interested in hearing their stuff for the first time? 
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

James said
I hear a lot about these guys, any songs you all would especially recommend to someone interested in hearing their stuff for the first time? 

Hey James.  Check page 3 of this thread for my top 42, and page 5 for Edin's top 20.  IMO you can't go wrong with any of those tracks.  Many of them are on YouTube for a quick introduction.  

edin said 

Kittaan, I completelt agree about that solo. I noticed how amazing it was the first time I heard it. Curious, how do you know it is Guthrie that's playing it? 

While I was looking for the lists, I noticed that I completely missed Edin's question regarding my post on the guitar solo in Drive Home...

I know it's Guthrie for the following reasons:  

1) As good as he is, I don't think Steven could pull it off.

2) I know Guthrie's sound and technique and it's written all over that solo

3) I saw him play it on the Raven Blu-Ray extras!!

Also, on a related topic, has anyone else enjoyed listening to the subtle (and not so subtle) differences between the Raven's demo and release tracks?  I made a mix of Demo/Release in order and it's very cool to hear the contrasts.

If you haven't checked out that Raven documentary, it's very much worth a watch.
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Just ordered PT's In Absentia,and Signify CDs.Going in completely blind,didn't even listen to samples.

..And now I have discovered yet another reason to Love SW:

-Bass Communion

I have a small collection of ambient CDs that I enjoy from time to time and Bass Communion is outstanding.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

eyepod said
Just ordered PT's In Absentia,and Signify CDs.Going in completely blind,didn't even listen to samples.

..And now I have discovered yet another reason to Love SW:

-Bass Communion

I have a small collection of ambient CDs that I enjoy from time to time and Bass Communion is outstanding.

I would be very surprised if you didn't love both IA and Signify.  Classics both.

Yes, BC is good stuff.  It's nowhere near the level of PT or solo SW, but I enjoy most of it.

I suppose I shouldn't mention NoMan to you just yet?  ah, wtf?  http://www.no-man.co.uk/

LOL.  Enjoy!
oldesch
Bronco's Fan

Post by oldesch »

On a side note, I couldnt really get into opeths vocals before, but I saw them live on Saturday and they blew away. Also mikael(?) Is fucking hilarious. Katatonia however confirmed for me they do indeed suck
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

@Kittaan-Thanks for the link to the NoMan site but I am not ready to delve into any more new music,my plate is pretty full right now.......
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

...........Ok,now I am ready

Damn..This Steven Wilson fellow is prolific!When does he find time to eat and sleep?

I just checked out a few of those NoMan tunes,and sounds like There are some real gems in there.Pretty Genius is cool.I am going to keep checking out some of this rather large collection of tunes,and most likely end up purchasing a couple of their albums.

Thanks!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ Glad to help, but hope it doesn't overwhelm you!
edin

Post by edin »

I will try my best not to make this post long. 

The shows were probably some of the best performances I've seen musically. The sound was great, the bass was a highlight for me, we different sets for each night, the visuals were fantastic with amazing imagery and such, and best of all, got to meet the band including Steven and take pictures and get stuff signed! It was so awesome. I had brought my Tonefloating 7" in a cardboard box to show, these go for like $350 on ebay and I thought it be awesome to have Steven's signature on it, and then I also had brought my cover version box, and got both signed afterwards. He said it was an interesting combination of things to bring and that it was nice to sign something he has never signed many of for a change. My friend also gave him his artwork and took a picture with him and got all of his deluxe books signed. I was jelly. He had the perfect backpack to carry the books into the venue. All I had to do was stuff my cover version box in my pocket. I also met some very cool fans which was great. I took pictures with Guthrie Govan and Marco. Steven was so kind. They all were. Here's some photos I'll share. 
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Edin - Killer!  Was going to ask you about the shows.  I knew that if you wanted, you'd have an opportunity to meet Steven.  He's very accessible as we discussed.

Bobage saw them last night in CO.  Since he doesn't post here anymore, I'll just quote him:

"Boulder Theater was the fucking place to be last night. No better music was being played anywhere on this continent.  It was phenomenal. They were spot fucking on. Not only precision playing but really good energy and SW was in a playful mood with the audience. Boulder Theater is such a beautiful room, it was perfect. Highlights for me were Insurgentes and the title track from Raven."

My turn on Thursday night!!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

And why exactly is Bobagé not posting here any more?
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

@edin-Thanks for posting the pics,sounds like ya had a great time.I really am going to have to get out to see this guy live,but unfortunately it won't be on this tour.Also thanks for turning me on to those great cover tunes.

@kittaan-enjoy your evening!Can't wait to here what ya thought of the show.I live vicariously.