Opiate reissue arrived but severely water damaged

The Main Event
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

So today I received my Opiate reissue badly water damaged. Can anything be done? Here's my email to merch...

"Hi there.

I originally ordered the Opiate 21st anniversary (version 2) on the public release date - order number 14312

The package arrived today, and much to my disappointment, the package was badly water damaged.

A whole corner of the package seems to have been drenched in water, leaving the paper bowed, the cardboard stained, and the overall quality of the album extremely low. I was seriously saddened when I received the album in this state; the water damage really does lower the overall quality to an extreme low - it's hard to appreciate with the damage.

I'm a big Tool fan, I in fact went to both Auckland shows, bought numerous amounts of merch there, including 2 t-shirts and signed posters. It's disappointing when this much money goes almost to waste.

I am aware that there are replacements, and I would very much so like either a refund or replacement, with the latter being the preferred option.

I also have taken numerous pictures, so if you want I can send them to you so that you can judge yourself the damage.

I would expect that, with such a rare and expensive item, greater packaging would be done to ensure a safe delivery. But I understand how things DO go wrong, and that's why I hope you're here to help.

Please let me know what can be done,

Nick."
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Are you able to take it up with the postal service, or is that more something that has to be done on their end?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

MACGYVER said
Are you able to take it up with the postal service, or is that more something that has to be done on their end?

This is the first thing I'd do.  I sincerely doubt one of the merch dudes dropped a glass of water on it then went "ah fuck it" and mailed it anyway.

Missing sigs, sloppy packaging etc. yes blame it on Tool or their merch guys.

But this, to me, screams postal service error.  But of course I hope they email you back, maybe Blair will see this, he does lurk on here.
Hey! Denty!
drop d
Maynard Believer

Post by drop d »

I'd say your best bet is to take a loss, and sell it on eBay for a buy it now price close to what you paid. Some one will buy it.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

drop d said
I'd say your best bet is to take a loss, and sell it on eBay for a buy it now price close to what you paid. Some one will buy it.

Lol. Nice try... But his best bet is to do what he's done, or follow through with post. Why do you want a water-damaged tool re-issue??
also, Avatar!
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

drop d said

I think that will be the last option that I'l take.

Thing is, I don't know which "postal service" to ring. I live in New Zealand and have no idea who's fault it is considering it was sent from the USA. Would I have to call some postal company in America? It's funny seeing that yellow paper packaging, because here in NZ, most of our parcel bags are waterproof (plastic). I don't see why they didn't make it waterproof. The album's really lost all it's value in my eyes. Hopefully this gets sorted out...

trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

NickTheGC said

drop d said

Thing is, I don't know which "postal service" to ring. I live in New Zealand and have no idea who's fault it is considering it was sent from the USA. Would I have to call some postal company in America? It's funny seeing that yellow paper packaging, because here in NZ, most of our parcel bags are waterproof (plastic). I don't see why they didn't make it waterproof. The album's really lost all it's value in my eyes. Hopefully this gets sorted out...

Yes, we have a water-proof packaging here in the states as well. It's usually a grey/white/silver. Why the band/Merch wouldn't find it necessary for such expensive items, especially those sent over-seaa, is beyond me. Especially since I've received "junk" mail from  cheap sources in this form of packaging. Hope you get it all sorted out, & get what you paid for mate
also, Avatar!
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

trilobite said

NickTheGC said

drop d said

Yes, we have a water-proof packaging here in the states as well. It's usually a grey/white/silver. Why the band/Merch wouldn't find it necessary for such expensive items, especially those sent over-seaa, is beyond me. Especially since I've received "junk" mail from  cheap sources in this form of packaging. Hope you get it all sorted out, & get what you paid for mate

Yeah totally agree with you. This is a non abundant expensive item that they're sending away.. might as well not track it while they're at it. I just hope Merch will realize their fault and ship me another one, I've actually calculated that I've spent $816 on Tool in the past month.. geez

bob
Toast

Post by bob »

ah thats a bummer man. not fair considering the amount of money you paid for that thing! try TOOL FIRST..the fact they shipped it in a non waterproof way i would hope they refund you a new one and just ask you to send the crappy one back. considiering they made 750 grand on this i think they should be the ones to step up for you and make you a happy customer! if that doesnt work then try BOTH postal services but really this sounds likes its more on the tool end to me. let us know how it goes! good luck! do everything you can and keep your nice attitude about it. it goes farther!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

toolphishdhs said
that really sucks man. ive got to say this whole Opiate rerelease has gone about as badly as it could have gone. i mean how do they fuck up so many items in a 5000 (actually less because they have extras) print run of anything much less cd's?  talk about lacking professionalism.

Are you really trying to suggest merch is responsible for the water damage?  This problem definitely sounds like the postal services issue rather than Toolband's one.

However I expect they will attempt to put it right.  And if they do I doubt we'll see toolphishdhs given them a single kind word.
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

hellboy1975 said

toolphishdhs said
that really sucks man. ive got to say this whole Opiate rerelease has gone about as badly as it could have gone. i mean how do they fuck up so many items in a 5000 (actually less because they have extras) print run of anything much less cd's?  talk about lacking professionalism.

Are you really trying to suggest merch is responsible for the water damage?  This problem definitely sounds like the postal services issue rather than Toolband's one.

However I expect they will attempt to put it right.  And if they do I doubt we'll see toolphishdhs given them a single kind word.

I rang nzpost and they seem to think that it's the senders fault, apparently by right... I expect Tool to be good about it and replace it though. Let's hope for the best lol

azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

^ maybe the Tool family has lurked on here long enough that they sent him a pissed on album now that's rare! DNA & black light test it! J/k but seriously that does suck, hope things get set right for ya
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Haha right? You should shoot ADAM a msg n ask if its genu-wine piss!! Imagine the EBay value in that..
also, Avatar!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I'd be taking photos of the package immediately, too.

Surely somewhere on the packaging there's the name and number of the postal service. I find it hard to believe that there's NO WAY for you to contact the postal service that sent it to you.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

Im pretty sure that all 5000 copies were not all put up for sale and there would be a few set aside. Postal systems always put the blame on the sender. You will only be able to take it up with merch. Hopefully they will be good about it. Give them 4-5 days to respond. If they haven't responded by then, do it again. If no response then send the same email daily. Still no response then email at every chance you get, 10 at a time. You will eventually get a response as they will get sick of your emails. I find this method works fine.

I run a webstore and the postal system ALWAYS blames the sender if its lost or damaged or half the contents stolen.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

NickTheGC said 
I rang nzpost and they seem to think that it's the senders fault

I hate to be cynical here (fuck knows there's enough of it on this forum already) but of course they're going to say that...
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

hellboy1975 said

NickTheGC said 
I rang nzpost and they seem to think that it's the senders fault

I hate to be cynical here (fuck knows there's enough of it on this forum already) but of course they're going to say that...

Yeah, I agree lol. He did say that it was law from items between $0 - $250. I don't even know, just hope it gets sorted out..

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Here's some cynical

Oh, Fuck Yes!!!

We, of all goddamn people, will know what the fuck to do about your fucking water-damaged Opiate CD or whatever the fuck!

Really?

Really?

I know what you can do to "rectify" it!

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

moderatoror said
Here's some cynical

Oh, Fuck Yes!!!

We, of all goddamn people, will know what the fuck to do about your fucking water-damaged Opiate CD or whatever the fuck!

Really?

Really?

I know what you can do to "rectify" it!

dat cynical

bob
Toast

Post by bob »

well if it was sent in a better package it would be in good condition consdiering its water. in this case it does sound like tools responsibility for sending it in non waterproof packaging. things happen as u say. and serioulsy. they made a shitload off this. its nothing for them to give you a new one i would think.
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

Good news guys,

Just received an email from Merch, here's what it says

"We apologize for the disappointment. Was the packaging that the cd came in messed up as well? Regardless of the matter we will replace your order with a new one. We will send you a self addressed package so that you can return the cd without having to pay postage on it. Once we receive the cd we will ship out a new one. Make sure everything that came in the cd collector set is in there when you return it. We will only send you the things that have been returned.
TOOL ORDERS"

They were pretty quick about it too (:
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Awesome
also, Avatar!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

NickTheGC said 
They were pretty quick about it too (:

Thanks for keeping us informed Nick.  Merch may have in some eyes been a little unprofessional in regards to this release, but I knew they'd look after you.
Station 52
Maynard Believer

Post by Station 52 »

I'm happy you got a positive resolution. Merch has not responded to my emails about my lost order in 4 weeks and I'm getting rather bitter. I wonder how they decide who deserves service?