Tool - Duluth, Ga 06/04/2007

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

been to the gorge as well, to see phish.  yes, it is better than red rocks.  that place.....i just cant say enough about it.  heaven on earth
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

Thanks for posting the show, cool to hear. This isn't even close to being the best show I've heard sound-wise or performance-wise though. I think you guys are biased since you attended it. The are a bunch of shows that sound better and have better performances, just off the top of my head...the Japanese shows in 2006 and San Francisco 2010 just to name a few.

Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

toolphishdhs said

void said
Thanks for posting the show, cool to hear. This isn't even close to being the best show I've heard sound-wise or performance-wise though. I think you guys are biased since you attended it. The are a bunch of shows that sound better and have better performances, just off the top of my head...the Japanese shows in 2006 and San Francisco 2010 just to name a few.

i never said it was the best show ever or anything. just really good. id like to hear better shows though.  also the sound quality is low because it is an mp3. apparently General White has the FLAC of this and said he might post it. thats his deal though. id post any quality show i had. but the Bonnaroo recording i have kind of sucks. my raleigh show from 01 is on Zomb if yall want to check that out.

As I said previously, I will upload this in it's original form tomorrow. Stay tuned folks! 

ps the best Tool show ever happened between 98-01    dont know where but it happened then

Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

well, that quote failed. whatever, will upload it tomorrow. now you know.
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

Totally agree toolphishdhs. 98 - 01 was definitely the bands peak. I love the 98 shows, because the band was unbelievably tight, intense and jammy...and it was just an exciting time, they were on the cusp of Lateralus.

insaner
Bronco's Fan

Post by insaner »

i should clarify my statement to say that it was the best tool show i have seen since the old days before maynard started luriking.  lots of raw, incredible shows back then.  but it all came together that night in duluth as far as the big arena shows go.  even better than anything on the lateralus run, to me.  and that includes red rocks 03' or whenever it was and that first show at the tabernacle although you will never top the vibe of that tabernacle show.  too much awesome.

the first two pearl shows were also great, never saw a recording of those.

hell, i may not even think it's the best really, just a perfect recording and little things within many of the songs that I had never heard before or since.  and i look out for shit like that.  guess thats why I say it was one of the shows they planned to use for the live dvd.

those 09' shows were mostly horrible.  it was obvious may may didn't want to be there and being on the shrooms, i was empathetic to that and it was a downer.  duluth and charlotte come to mind as two of the worst, but i had friends with me at those shows that loved them.  but what the fuck do they know?

thesheedspot
My pain is just an excuse

Post by thesheedspot »

^like i said above i was in charlotte in 09 and had a great time. maynards vocals were noticably more audible, even on the crappy, crackling recording source i have. what makes those two stand out as "two of the worst"? listen to any copy of the mile high music fest from denver or read any review of that show. charlotte was 100 times better.

side note, if anyone has a lead on the second night of the hammersmith apollo from 2006(6/14/06) i would be eternally thankful. only show ive been to that i dont have a copy of (other than the mile high which i had but deleted bc it was a bad show and worse recording)

second side note: 2/11/97 amsterdam is a sick show and good AUD recording. as far as boots go though the kalamazoo show from 98 is unrivaled. i know its SBD and yes, that makes all the difference. i like the pushit on there better than the one that shows up on salival. kalamazoo from 02 is pretty boss too, i love that version of H. where maynard echos the "I, I, I, I, dont mind"
insaner
Bronco's Fan

Post by insaner »

thats what the "to me" part was all about.
thesheedspot

Post by thesheedspot »

just for the record APC was well in advance of lateralus. mer de noms was recorded (1999) and released (may 2000) before lateralus (recorded oct 2000-jan 2001, released may 15 2001). i would be more inclined to give maynard a pass if his side projects were as quality as mer de noms, but that was really his high water mark for music other than tool. 13 steps was very meh, and every thing after that.... ugh.
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

Once again toolphish: you're dead on. Post-2002 Tool was just never the same. They played great and still play great, the band itself maybe even got better. I like all the segues/little jams and experimentation they started incorporating into the shows, but they never had the same intent or spirit. After the 02' tour and hiatus it was obvious Maynard stopped caring as much. He's just doesn't have the passion for it anymore. The other guys I feel like still do, but he brings them down because it's just so damn obvious he doesn't want to be there.

One thing to remember though...these guys are old! All of the band members are basically close to 50 or older (Danny is 52!). At least we've got their best performances recorded for the most part.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

The Duluth 09 show was probably the "worst" Tool show I've seen, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The weird electronic segue into Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned, that whole section was fucking unreal that night and was the best performance of those songs I've ever seen*. That alone made that night for me. The rest was just fine, the only thing that held that show back was getting the same setlist I'd seen so many times minus a (huge almost 20 minute!) song.

*Would kill for a copy of that. Double for a video. Never have been able to find one. 
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

toolphishdhs said 
ouch. was that the first tour that they dropped wings? ill keep an eye out.

Nah, Wings was played in 2007, and I presume 2006 as well.  The 2007 Big Day Out tour was definitely the worst tour I've seen from Tool.  My take is that Maynard was really struggling with his voice during those times.  Since then, he's worked out how to best manage it, and subsequent tours (for me 2011 and 2013) have been much much better.
MarryHanback
of Arimathea

Post by MarryHanback »

hellboy1975 said
Nah, Wings was played in 2007, and I presume 2006 as well.  The 2007 Big Day Out tour was definitely the worst tour I've seen from Tool.  My take is that Maynard was really struggling with his voice during those times.  Since then, he's worked out how to best manage it, and subsequent tours (for me 2011 and 2013) have been much much better.

BDO (and even the Sidney Myer Music Bowl) shows are incomparable to any other indoor show. IMHO, Maynard's worst performance at any decent, indoor, purpose built venue is more than likely, still going to sound better than at any BDO show. Knowing what you get from a regular Tool show, seeing them at a festival is always going to be disappointing by comparison.

Just my 2cents on the subject, but comparing the 2007 and 2011 Sidney Myer shows, I'd have to say he sounded better in 2007. 
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Yes, as far as Mer de Noms goes, that album was mostly Billy's brainchild. At least that's what I've always heard. Of course. MJ added an integral piece to the puzzle, and helped make that album the beautiful masterpiece (at least in my eyes) that it is.
also, Avatar!
nudges710

Post by nudges710 »

Favorite show all time ive attended...

August 5th, 2009

Toronto, Ontario

Molson Amphitheatre

... Crazy energy, maynard was in very rare form talking about french fries numerous times, he called guest guitarist steve niles, stephen hawking and says rock and roll is in fact the cure for quadrapalegics, the whole band was spot on all show, and a nice setlist... jambi, ions, stinkfist, french fries, 46&2, french fries, schism, lost keys, rosetta stoned, flood, aenema, intermission, lateralus, french fries, interlude, vicarious! if you can find the entire show I highly suggest downloading it! and quite possibly the sickest poster...

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

MarryHanback said 
Just my 2cents on the subject, but comparing the 2007 and 2011 Sidney Myer shows, I'd have to say he sounded better in 2007. 

We'll have to agree to disagree to be honest.  Both the 2011 Sidney Myer show and the 2011 Adelaide BDO show were much better than either 2007 show (both in Sydney - one BDO and one Ent. Centre) I saw.
MarryHanback
of Arimathea

Post by MarryHanback »

hellboy1975 said
We'll have to agree to disagree to be honest.  Both the 2011 Sidney Myer show and the 2011 Adelaide BDO show were much better than either 2007 show (both in Sydney - one BDO and one Ent. Centre) I saw.
Fair call. I was in a pretty average position in 2011, so that no doubt would've impacted. Were you at Adel Ent Centre 2002?... My recollections are that the sound was pretty average (which i think had less to do with the performance & more the setup / venue acoustics).