Album Of The Week - This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain

badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

This Will Destroy You, often abbreviated to TWDY, is an American post-rock band from San Marcos, Texas, formed in 2005. The band consists of guitarists Jeremy Galindo and Chris King, bass player and keyboardist Donovan Jones and drummer Alex Bhore. They typically compose lengthy atmospheric instrumental pieces, featuring layers of effects-laden guitar and a heavy usage of dynamics.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Will_Destroy_You

I first discovered This Will Destroy You through a TA friend, fortysix_and_TOOL, back in 2007.  When I received the cd in the mail I had no idea what to expect.  The name of the band is so very metal I expected something completely different.  Not since my first listen of Opiate has a band grabbed hold of me the way TWDY did.  I clearly remember the feeling of a comfortable lover wrapping his/her arms around me as the music filled my ears and my heart.  

Shortly after devouring this album, TWDY were on tour and playing the Earl in Atlanta on a Tuesday night.  I was flying out Thursday to see TooL for two nights in Vegas at the end of the 10k days tour.  I went to the show that night and was surprised to see only about 40 people in attendance, yet, everyone was as entranced as I was.  After the show, I had the great pleasure of meeting Jeremy, the lead guitarist and we had a wonderful conversation about films for quite some time.  The next night, the guys were playing an hour and a half away in Athens.  I drove that far for a 45 minute set and loved every minute of it!  It was one of the best concert weeks of my life!

I have become friends with the guys over the last few years.  Every time they come through town, we always go and I make sure to smoke them out.  I know these guys are struggling artists traveling around in a van and do what I can to support their art b/c I believe in what they do.  They really are a nice group of guys.  

I  hope you enjoy this album of the week.  

https://www.facebook.com/thiswilldestroyyou?fref=ts

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Sad that I missed the chance to see these guys a month or two ago.  Being a Dad needs to come first though.  Looking forward to listening to the whole album and posting my thoughts.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

I enjoyed them. Will check them out if they come through the area!

Professor of Lesbian Science
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Geez, these guys are from very close to where I live.

I'm only on track 2 and I'm already digging the shit outta this. Full review later on.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

@KAT: no surprises here, quality record (actually, they have several, but great intro pick to them).  Great back story, btw!

@Hellboy: feelin' ya dawg

@Basejumper: you're soo wrong, it's more like a 7.985/10

this records been in my fair-to-mid regular rotation for quite some time.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Good call! These guys are fucking amazing. Sadly haven't had the chance to see them live though. Hope to rectify that soon.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Excellent pick BK.  Young Mountain is one of the best post-rock albums of all time.  This Will Destroy You is easily in the conversation of all time best post-rock bands.  I would put Russian Circles at the top, but TWDY is easily top 5, maybe top 3. 
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

toolphishdhs said
anyone listen to Explosions in the Sky. kind of along same lines as TWDY but slightly less dark. they are fantastic live as well. 

Yep. I can see how to a lot of people all the bands in this little sub-genre are sort of interchangeable. But it's a sound that I love and I really enjoy hearing different tweaks on it. To me Mogwai are sort of the "godfathers," but I really enjoy what TWDY, Explosions In The Sky, Jakob, etc. etc. bring to the table. They all put their own spin on it.

The climax to "There Are Some Remedies Worse Than The Disease" is so fucking amazing on this album.

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

joeypants said

toolphishdhs said
anyone listen to Explosions in the Sky. kind of along same lines as TWDY but slightly less dark. they are fantastic live as well. 

Yep. I can see how to a lot of people all the bands in this little sub-genre are sort of interchangeable. But it's a sound that I love and I really enjoy hearing different tweaks on it. To me Mogwai are sort of the "godfathers," but I really enjoy what TWDY, Explosions In The Sky, Jakob, etc. etc. bring to the table. They all put their own spin on it.

The climax to "There Are Some Remedies Worse Than The Disease" is so fucking amazing on this album.

Agreed, although I am not a huge Mogwai fan.  Young Team is a solid album though.  Some would argue it is their best, much like some (myself included) think Young Mountain is TWDY's best album.  Setting the bar high early in both cases.  Red Sparowes is another one of my favorite post-rock bands.  Russian Circles and Red Sparowes probably take the top two spots for me.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Russian Circles' last album (Empros) is especially amazing, in my opinion. Oooooooh looks like they've got something new coming out this year too. Fuck yeah.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

I forgot how good these guys were. That and I just forgot about them in general. Appreciate the reintroduction bkgg.
SteveBobSteve
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Glad you guys are enjoying TWDY.  I was torn between Young Mountain and the self titled TWDY album.  I figured we should start at the beginning.  I hate, but understand, when they are compared to Explosions in the Sky.  I went to an EITS show figuring I would enjoy them like I do TWDY, but I found myself bored and left early.  

When Collectivejudas29 and I dated long distance, The World is Our ___ was one of our favorite songs.  We had fun filling in the blanks.  

There have been a few times when I've caught their music on tv during the winter olympics or in movies, like Moneyball.  Always, I've called it within the first few notes.  It is weird how background music can jump out at you like that.  I really would like to see these guys succeed.  Ya hear how bands are big in Europe, but these guys really are!  hahaha.  They are currently touring Asia.   

May 22 - Chengdu (CN) - Little Bar
May 23 - Wuhan (CN) - Vox
May 24 - Beijing (CN)- Mao
May 25 - Shanghai (CN) - On Stage
May 26 - Guangzhou (CN) - T-Union
May 27 - Hong Kong (CN) - Hidden Agenda
May 29 - Taipei (TW) - The Wall
May 31 - Singapore (SG) - Home Club
June 2 - Kuala Lumpur (MY) - Bentley Music Auditorium (w/ Maserati)
June 4 - Gwangju (KR) - Under 99
June 5 - Jeonju (KR) - Radiostar
June 6 - Daegu (KR) - Horus
June 7 - Busan (KR) - Vinyl Underground
June 8 - Seoul (KR) - Rolling Hall
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Sounds like that show would have been in 2008?  If so, that is the show I am referring to.  Where in Atlanta are you?
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

So when was the Variety Playhouse show that you are talking about?  
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Kat - Liked it.  I remember giving them a try from your recommendation on Jubal many years ago, but haven't listened much since.  Thanks.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I liked this album a lot. Good to throw on the stereo and do some activities. Doesn't fall into the "samey sounding" trap despite being instrumental. There was a couple of times I thought a vocalist could've helped the song out, but no big deal.

7/10. Favorite AOTW so far besides Tyson's pick.

Good stuff!
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I liked the album, but not really much more than most instrumental post-rock I've listened to.  Unfortunately they all seem to sound largely the same to me, so it takes something really special for it to stand out.  This album didn't really have any of those moments for me.

6/10