DEFTONES: Palace Theatre, Melbourne - 18 May 2013

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

GREAT GREAT GREAT SHOW!  likely the best gig I've attended in quite a long time.  Got in for the last couple letlive tunes... they were definitely wild on stage and brought up a guy from the crowd to sing on the last track which was cool, but they're not my thing at all.

Met 264zn, got some drinks and headed up front.  Start to finish, it was brilliance.  I've seen the tones more times than any other band and they were as good tonite as they ever were.  Setlist was solid as they come, although not surprisingly, we got no SNW love.  And only Minerva from the self-titled.  That said, they played another track from that and Riviere from SNW the eve before so massive props to them for switching things up.  Chino was way talkative on the night, even busting out some eminem rhymes at one point after asking someone in the crowd what they wanted to hear next... among other tidbits of chatter and crooning throughout. The highlight for me personally, and likely the most fanboi moment I've had in years, was helping hold chino up while he spewed GUNS! RAZORS! KNIVES! right in my damn face.  Don't care, that was fucking the sickest concert moment I've had in 10+ years.  Also the addition of Elite to the set is ALWAYS welcome.  And all love to Chi, but damn, if Sergio isn't a perfect fit for these guys.  Loved watching that dude jam his little head bob, grinning ear to ear for the entirety of the show, looking at the crowd, seemingly saying, "yeah, you guys go wild down there, I'm just gonna be here and chill. that cool"?  At one point even he laid out into the crowd whilst playing.  Just great to see these guys, alive and seemingly ageless, pulling out all stops.  And damn I'm getting old, but the pit was so much fun.  This was the best crowd I've had the opportunity to mingle through in quite a long time.  Smiles and hugs and high fives all around. Quite literally, all concerts should be this good! Sound was perfect and the band was firing on all cylinders.  And the new tunes are just beautifully revealed in a live setting.  Their set was still as intense as they come and exactly what I love about music and gigs.

Boy of Hell in the ADE shall not be disappointed this eve.

setlist:

Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away) 

Lotion 

My Own Summer (Shove It) 

Lhabia 

Minerva 

Diamond Eyes 

Rocket Skates 

Knife Prty 

Entombed 

Poltergeist 

Tempest 

Swerve City 

Elite 

Headup 

Change (In the House of Flies) 

Nosebleed 

Bored 

Root 

7 Words

Post gig, my lovely and I, with 264zn headed over to cherry bar for a few cold white rabbits, and after hanging for a bit chatting, some dude brushes shoulders with me near the bar and I glance over and it's Chino.  So we chatted for a short time, introduced my wife, and we thanked him for showing up again and helping us get loose.  264zn got a pic with him I'm sure he'll share at some point and the Mrs. got some pics and a vid or two from the gig, I think, so I'll share some of those later, too.  Anyway, top notch night out.  Exactly what the Doctor ordered!
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Yep pretty much what Pete said, was an outstanding night. The new material sounds even better live as I knew it would, and the crowd was fuckn pumped. A funny moment was when Chino got this kiwi up on stage and he pretty much grabs the mic and has a big rant about something, everyone was cracking up. Highlights for me were head up, knife party, and all the new stuff.  

Still buzzing after meeting Chino, big props to Petemasterpete for suggesting Cherry Bar! Great way to end a great night. 
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

Shame that they couldn't stop off to NZ for a show...
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Yeah what are we, lepers?
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

I asked Chino why he didn't head to NZ on this tour and he didn't really have answer but said he does love the place. Oh well, hopefully they head that way soon! 

Geez, what a night! Here's a taster, shame the audio isn't too flash

NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

264zn said
I asked Chino why he didn't head to NZ on this tour and he didn't really have answer but said he does love the place. Oh well, hopefully they head that way soon! 

Geez, what a night! Here's a taster, shame the audio isn't too flash

Wow that looks amazing... I'd love to see them, but may I ask, how did you get to talk to Chino? It seems like every second person on here meets up with the band members lol

264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Have to thank Petemasterpete for suggesting a pretty good haunt were bands quite often hang out after the show, and in this case Chino decided to stop by for a drink. He was pretty out of it, but still up for a bit of a chat. I guess you just have to know the respective hang out spot in your town for bands and you might get lucky.

I'm not one to really do the stalk thing or even bother hitting up after parties, but when you just bump into them, it makes for a pretty cool ending to a fuckn good night. 
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I met Chino once too, nice guy.  I'll share my story over in the Deftones thread sometime.  Glad you all had fun.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

264zn said
Have to thank Petemasterpete for suggesting a pretty good haunt were bands quite often hang out after the show, and in this case Chino decided to stop by for a drink. He was pretty out of it, but still up for a bit of a chat. I guess you just have to know the respective hang out spot in your town for bands and you might get lucky.

I'm not one to really do the stalk thing or even bother hitting up after parties, but when you just bump into them, it makes for a pretty cool ending to a fuckn good night. 

pretty obvious place to go, honestly... I'm guessing in the music circle that Cherry Bar is mostly well known... I mean, the place is on AC/DC Lane, so I don't want to take too much credit.  Had we been willing to wait an hour in line to get in after the tool gig, we'd likely not have been in there last night.  But this time, no line at all, otherwise it may have been the same, "ooh, line... no thanx, next alcohol serving outlet".  My better half hadn't been in there before and it's a pretty decent sticky floor, rock 'n' roll kinda place that always has live music on, so you can't go wrong, really.
Brendan
Bronco's Fan

Post by Brendan »

Every time I've seen Deftones they've given it 100%. Don't know how Chino still has a voice.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

in_the_blender
Bronco's Fan

Post by in_the_blender »

The wife and I caught the Friday show, and while we ended up on the balcony (missus is not a big fan of the pit, although even she was feeling like we cheated ourselves by the end) it was fucking amazing. The Palace is probably the best venue in town for these kinds of shows, the Forum is beautiful, but the Palace has the sound and line of sight advantage, which is ultimately what you want for a rock show.

JÃ¥gerBombs and Heineken, dancing and headbanging.

Chino has replaced Mike Patton as my wifes "Husbando".

Retired to House of Maximon for pints and post show decompression (Cherry may well be the standard rock bar in Melbourne, but you can't drink and smoke at the same time, and the music is the same every single time you go.)

10/10. The only band from my childhood I still listen to can still tear it up. Uncompromising, hard hitting, brilliant.

Thanks again for Henri's ticket Pete, she fucking loved it.

petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

in_the_blender said
The wife and I caught the Friday show, and while we ended up on the balcony (missus is not a big fan of the pit, although even she was feeling like we cheated ourselves by the end) it was fucking amazing. The Palace is probably the best venue in town for these kinds of shows, the Forum is beautiful, but the Palace has the sound and line of sight advantage, which is ultimately what you want for a rock show.

JÃ¥gerBombs and Heineken, dancing and headbanging.

Chino has replaced Mike Patton as my wifes "Husbando".

Retired to House of Maximon for pints and post show decompression (Cherry may well be the standard rock bar in Melbourne, but you can't drink and smoke at the same time, and the music is the same every single time you go.)

10/10. The only band from my childhood I still listen to can still tear it up. Uncompromising, hard hitting, brilliant.

Thanks again for Henri's ticket Pete, she fucking loved it.

Glad to be able to have done it, glad she liked it, and judging from Saturday, she received the single greatest present I've ever given anyone apart from Erica... and I generally give pretty good stuff! (winky face)
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Only a 7/10 from me.  It was a good show, and I'm glad I went, but didn't blow me away.  That's more a criticism of their body of music more than their live performance.  To many dull moments in the set, but when they were playing song I liked, it was 9/10 easily.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy1975 said
Only a 7/10 from me.  It was a good show, and I'm glad I went, but didn't blow me away.  That's more a criticism of their body of music more than their live performance.  To many dull moments in the set, but when they were playing song I liked, it was 9/10 easily.

your avatar describes my sentiment toward your deftones apathy perfectly.  
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Caught on Friday that they're playing in Manila on the 25th - think it was a last minute addition to the tour - tix for VIP are $150 (which is more to do with proximity to the stage than anything else) - how much were they in AU?

The set list is huge - I like quite a bit of their stuff but I'm inclined to sway towards HB's opinion. Worth it you think? I'd probably pay that much to hear half of those songs and it would be a shame to miss the experience seeing as I'm about... I guess it's off to the Deftones.  
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

inequitude said 
The set list is huge - I like quite a bit of their stuff but I'm inclined to sway towards HB's opinion. Worth it you think? I'd probably pay that much to hear half of those songs and it would be a shame to miss the experience seeing as I'm about... I guess it's off to the Deftones.  

Was about $60 from memory.  I have no regrets going to the show.  I have no doubt that a bigger fan of Deftones would have thought it was fantastic.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

No Digital Bath - bit rough.