QOTSA

Music in all its forms and styles
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

this is the sleeper for best album of the year.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Sleeper as in puts me to sleep, where's the rock?
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Tyson said
Sleeper as in puts me to sleep, where's the rock?

my grandfather said the same thing about Tool right before his death rattle.

monkeyghostpirate
Maynard Believer

Post by monkeyghostpirate »

NYHCster said
this is the sleeper for best album of the year.

Agreed, and the more I listen the better it gets.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Not sure that a mainstream band releasing an acclaimed album can be considered a sleeper, but it will be right up there.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy1975 said
Not sure that a mainstream band releasing an acclaimed album can be considered a sleeper, but it will be right up there.

hellboy1975 said

are they considered mainstream? I don't think they've won any mainstream music awards or even had a hit inside the Billboard top 40. have any of their LP's even hit "Gold" status? they are not a household name by any means in the States.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

According to Wikipedia Songs for the Deaf:

The album met with great success earning the band's first gold certification in the US on January 27, 2003, shifting over 500,000 copies, as well as platinum certification in the UK on September 20, 2002, with sales exceeding 100,000 of units sold.[34] and platinum status in Canada.[35] As of June 2007 the total amount of sold copies in the US is estimated at 1,186,000 according to Nielsen Soundscan

And most of their albums have been nominated (though none have won) for a Grammy.  That's more or less mainstream in my opinion.  No One Knows went #5 in the Billbard US Mainstream Rock chart.

Anyway, nothing to be achieved debating that they're mainstream or not.  They're not exactly flying under the radar though.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Yeah they are mainstream via that information above but I can see why others wouldn't consider them mainstream. They're not exactly Coldplay...

Anyway, I know 'My God Is The Sun' was the first single but what do you think the most complete or best song is on this album? I love the whole record but I really like two of the last few tracks: 'Smooth Sailing' is pretty cool but 'I Appear Missing' just keeps impressing me the more i listen - great song!

I'm looking forward to their next tour down here - I did not enjoy their last visit (Enmore Theatre, 2011 - didn't play their 5 song encore even though it was on the setlist, said they were "tired").
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

One of their recent videos was like the 43rd most played music video on Youtube the week it released.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

This is a strange conversation.  They may not be in the top 50 list of biggest bands in the world but I hardly think anything they'd do is considered a "sleeper".

Just my opinion.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

They're up there with the FOO FIGHTERS in terms of exposure.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Of course they are mainstream, jesus christ on a pogo stick, you're not some special little snowflake because you listen to QOTSA, get over yourselves
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

just trying to argue a point, I had no idea. I can go obscure until stars burn out. didn't realize they were that mainstream. I don't know a fucking human being who has a clue who they are.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

NYHCster said
just trying to argue a point, I had no idea. I can go obscure until stars burn out. didn't realize they were that mainstream. I don't know a fucking human being who has a clue who they are.

NYHC fans can be ignorant fucks
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

This is a strange conversation.

Seems like a common theme around here
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy1975 said

NYHCster said

NYHC fans can be ignorant fucks

wouldn't be the first time I heard "why are you listening to that pussy shit?" haha.

Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

For anyone wanting an HD version of Wiltern I have uploaded one https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/545 ... 202013.flv
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

nice littel interview/clinic with Josh:

well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
jelousjane
Maynard Believer

Post by jelousjane »

QOTSA at The Wilter was the most amazing show I have seen them perform.

I get to relive it at will because NPR recorded it and streamed it live to good quality.

I have QOTSA fever now and I love their new album which is released in full today.

"""AND I AM A SPECIAL LITTLE SNOW FLAKE CAUSE I LISTEN AND LOVE QOTSA!!"""

~ JJ
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

JOSH HOMME ON GROHL, LANEGAN & OLIVERI APPEARING ON NEW QOTSA ALBUM: “I NEEDED MY FRIENDS”

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/latest/30489 ... _ages_josh
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
thesheedspot
My pain is just an excuse

Post by thesheedspot »

i wouldnt say that qotsa is some underground band, but i would also say its a stretch that they have as much as exposure or popularity as foo fighters. qotsa is not likely to play a major sports arena in your city like foo fighters are. more like the filmore/tabernacle kind of band. new album rocks. if i had a tail and i appear missing are great tracks. went out about 60 miles off the coast of SC this weekend fishing and discovered just how great of a drinking album it is ( if you know anything about josh and the band you know what big drinker he is). also, has anyone posted that youtube vid on here where he takes a lil shot at maynard? its actually pretty minor but pretty funny imo.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I pretty much think this is the best album front-to-back they've ever done. Really amazing. 
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

As I expected it's getting incredibly strong reviews. http://www.metacritic.com/music/like-cl ... ic-reviews

From one of my fave reviews:

‘… Like Clockwork’ is at its core a dark masterpiece, and nowhere is the realisation of this more complete than on ‘I Appear Missing’. Devastating in its breadth and range, and possibly the best thing the band have ever done, it’s a sonic vision of night terrors of the soul made flesh, set to a pendulum-swinging rhythm, hypnotic and euphoric in its misery. When Homme cries "Shock me awake / tear me apart / pinned like a note in a hospital gown", his voice tears through you like a ragged bullet. ‘It’s only falling in love because you hit the ground’ he concludes, with grim cleverness. At the end of its six minutes, it’s hard not to feel like you’ve been submerged in a nightmare landscape and woken covered in the cold sweat of fear. Even the album’s closer denies us any pittance of comfort. ‘… Like Clockwork’, carried by a lone falsetto of utter desolation ends on a discouraging note, admitting "most of what you see my dear is purely for show" and quietly opines that when it comes to love, "it’s all downhill from here".

It should go without saying but it needs to said: this is an intricate, jarring and complicated piece of work and is undeniably brilliant. Queens Of The Stone Age should be unashamedly proud of what they have made here. Not only for the pain and fragility that’s put on show but for having executed a rock ‘n’ roll confessional with such devastating flair: there really is beauty in the breakdown. No, it’s very much not ‘Songs For The Deaf’ part two, and nothing like ‘Era Vulgaris’, so the fairweather fan might feel bewildered by what they’re confronted with. Josh Homme’s evident growth as a songwriter is clear from the lyrical profundity on offer, not to mention the range of emotional response his vocals are capable of drawing. So while the brawling, teeth-gnashing, hip-swinging, cocksure swagger of their muscular brand of desert-rock has no doubt been interrupted by storm clouds rolling in on the horizon and unleashing a downpour no one saw coming – make no mistake: Queens are as brutal a force to be reckoned with as ever. It’s enough to make you fall to your knees and weep.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I think I listened to the whole thing 6 times last night. Truly a masterpiece. Will be hard to top this for my favorite album this year I think, and honestly this is one of the best rock albums I've heard in a long, long time.
RaiderFan
Maynard Believer

Post by RaiderFan »

I really have not listened to much of QOTSA since songs for the deaf came out.  To be honest I was more of a Kyuss fan, however I keep in mind musicians and people for that matter evolve, and I am definately going to give this album a go. As talented as he is, its too bad Josh is a doosh. Cheers