Pusicifer to release All Mixed-Up

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Why is it only people named "blahX! or DJ nippleRang! or C'totheD'Thizzle with help from the Shit Brothers Convention Staff!" get to do re-motherfuckin'mixes and shit?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

ilikecheese said
Why is it only people named "blahX! or DJ nippleRang! or C'totheD'Thizzle with help from the Shit Brothers Convention Staff!" get to do re-motherfuckin'mixes and shit?

I've always wondered that, too.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

The Boss said

brokenchimes said
No I know. I was kinda combining my response to both urs and other dudes comments. I wasn't specific.

And yes, what puscifer means by remix is a 'reinterpretation'. Which in my opinion can have just as much to do with the original artist as the original.

Except in this case, it has literally nothing to do with the original members (beyond what I imagine to be something similar to an "administrative" or "executive producer" role).

Monsters (Deconstruct) remixed by Mat Mitchell
The Green Valley (Verde River Maestro 507 mix) remixed by Rani Sharone (Stolen Babies)
Monsoons (JLE Motorik mix) remixed by Josh Eustis
Telling Ghosts (Giorgia O’Queef mix) remixed by Carina Round
Horizons (Dream of a Lie remix) by John Fryer (This Mortal Coil)
Man Overboard (11AD remix) by Alain Johannes
Toma (Burn Out remix) by Five Knives
The Rapture (JLE Needs Service mix) by Josh Eustis
Conditions of My Parole (F.U.B.A.R. remix) by Sir Mix-A-Lot
The Weaver (Virtual Vacuum remix) by Aaron Harris (PALMS)
Oceans (Green Mussel Mix) by Zac Rae
Tumbleweed (Delusions of Grandeur mix) by The Beta Machine

As we can see, ONE core member has contributed a "remix/reimagining".

You forgot The Beta Machine too. Mat McJunkins and Jeff Friedl.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

And Josh Eustis is pretty much a core member as well...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Hotdog said

The Boss said

brokenchimes said
No I know. I was kinda combining my response to both urs and other dudes comments. I wasn't specific.

And yes, what puscifer means by remix is a 'reinterpretation'. Which in my opinion can have just as much to do with the original artist as the original.

Except in this case, it has literally nothing to do with the original members (beyond what I imagine to be something similar to an "administrative" or "executive producer" role).

The Green Valley (Verde River Maestro 507 mix) remixed by Rani Sharone (Stolen Babies)

Huh. Well, that has definitely changed things, then. Five out of twelve (is that right?) remixes are actually by PUSCIFER. Though with a noticeable lack of Keenan.

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

The Boss said

Hotdog said

The Boss said

brokenchimes said

Huh. Well, that has definitely changed things, then. Five out of twelve (is that right?) remixes are actually by PUSCIFER. Though with a noticeable lack of Keenan.

Fuck I hate remixes.  Jimmy fucking up again.  I actually didn't mind Conditions.  If you have a good song/album leave it alone.  The only time remix albums work is if the songs are completely reinterpreted.  Isis - Oceanic - Remixes and Reinterpretations comes to mind.  The reworks sound like completely different songs.  Besides shouldn't Jimmy be working on Tool lyrics at this point?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I usually enjoy/have enjoyed any and all remixes COIL do/have done, as well as FOETUS/J G Thirwell. APHEX TWIN. SKINNY PUPPY, when they remix their own stuff.

Apart from that, I really have no interest in remixes. They tend to sound either really stupid and obnoxious, like the remixer was trying too hard, or just boring - like, add a beat to the song, along with a couple of vocal distortions and some knob-tweaking.

I guess I can kind of understand the appeal, if you're really into them. The whole remix thing, in general though, just isn't for me.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I've always thought this was great remix.

Don't mow your lawn
thirdeye42012
Bronco's Fan

Post by thirdeye42012 »

It's funny that he gave it the same title as a 311 song, a band that he publicly (and unfairly) hates.
thirdeye42012
Bronco's Fan

Post by thirdeye42012 »

heartily agreed!
thirdeye42012
Bronco's Fan

Post by thirdeye42012 »

Ever since Conditions of My Parole came out, any news APC related doesn't get much more of a shrug from me. That Puscifer album was miles better than anything by APC, and they're live shows are certainly better. So as far as I'm concerned, he can just keep doing more of that. I don't need anymore APC, just Puscifer and Tool.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I'm half-way with ya. Most of APCs output, to date, is remarkably good music. Definitely stood the test of time so far.

PUSCIFER seems to me to be a bit like "throw spaghetti at the wall, and see what sticks". And it's all good, as long as the cook is having fun.

I dig PUSCIFER in a huge way, but I'm not deluded. A large part of their/his output with the group is pretty bad. The humour is absolutely abysmal. Not even cool by "anti-humour" standards. I don't know, maybe I'm way off - Tyson will let you know. That kind of thing is his bag.

I'm happy with this "idea" of a group to do whatever it wants. The last EP was absolute, unmitigated shit; but then again, the EP before that was a total winner.

Whatever, man. There's way too much going on in the world to give more than half a fuck about what some bored, bald, egotist does.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

anyone know if the APC dvd is going to be older material/shows or newer shows? id imagine that it would focus on older stuff.

If I remember correctly, it was the Red Rocks 2011 show.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

From best to worst:

13th Step
Mer De Noms
COMP & V is for Vagina (neither one stands out as being much better than the other to me, though they have quite different feels to them)
The rest of the Puscifer EPs and remix albums
eMotive

No doubting Puscifer were better live than APC on the last Soundwave tour though, however I expect the APC of old was a pretty good show (especially if the set wasn't riddled with eMotive).
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

The Boss said

I dig PUSCIFER in a huge way, but I'm not deluded. A large part of their/his output with the group is pretty bad. The humour is absolutely abysmal. Not even cool by "anti-humour" standards. I don't know, maybe I'm way off - Tyson will let you know. That kind of thing is his bag.

The 'humour' is just embarrassing, if it's may may being tongue in cheek and ironic then it's flying straight over all our heads, so it fails on every conceivable level, unless it's may may chuckling to himself 'he he I was only pretending to be retarded'

RaiderFan
Maynard Believer

Post by RaiderFan »

Cool, look forward to it.
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

hellboy1975 said
From best to worst:

13th Step
Mer De Noms
COMP & V is for Vagina (neither one stands out as being much better than the other to me, though they have quite different feels to them)
The rest of the Puscifer EPs and remix albums
eMotive

No doubting Puscifer were better live than APC on the last Soundwave tour though, however I expect the APC of old was a pretty good show (especially if the set wasn't riddled with eMotive).

Hey, that's what I was thinking.  You forgot aMOTION somewhere around the eMotive level.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

phox_ said 
Hey, that's what I was thinking.  You forgot aMOTION somewhere around the eMotive level.

I didn't even waste my time listening to it.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

Good to see everyone keeping up the healthy criticisms of artists that are DOING something with their lives other than sitting on a keyboard talking shit.

That being said, can't get too excited about a remix album. Never been interested in these sorts of songs, even if they're good. Now when they change up a song or add things to a song LIVE, then it is interesting and usually a welcome change.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'm doing plenty with my life - how about you?
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Isn't aMotion the dvd? What was so bad about it?
Hey! Denty!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

aMotion had a remix cd included
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Ah yes. Pretty dull except for a couple of songs, actually.
Hey! Denty!