Album of the Week - Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Really difficult decision choosing an album.  There are a number of more accessible albums I could have gone with but honestly I think that defeats the purpose of this little experiment.  So with that in mind, I present Monoliths & Dimensions by Sunn O)))

Welcome to Drone Metal.  Please do yourself a favor and listen to this album on a decent set of headphones and try to eliminate any distractions as this is the kind of music that requires your full attention.

Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

It's a great album and kudos for bringing it to everyone's attention!!

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

One of the most beautiful and inspiring albums of all time.

An excellent, excellent, choice. Thank you. I've been a massive fan of theirs for years, and I can never wait for more of their stuff.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Cool, rhapsody has it, I'm ready to give it a shot. Review to come.

Objective is already at least an 8.
Hey! Denty!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Not really impressed by this album... I kept thinking to myself, "man I wish they would pick up the pace"

Sounds too much to me like it should be the score for an animated Japanese horror film. The horns at the end were cool.

Professor of Lesbian Science
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

basejumper said
Not really impressed by this album... I kept thinking to myself, "man I wish they would pick up the pace"

Sounds too much to me like it should be the score for an animated Japanese horror film. The horns at the end were cool.

Welcome to Drone Metal

well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

basejumper said

I am still trying to get all the way through this one, and with all of the gushing up there, I was beginning to think I would be the only one looking for the "Emperor's new clothes".  I agree with your assessment and now I'm looking forward to hearing the horns at the end.

Just one note: I would consider a 6.8 a much higher rating than your review implies.

And NOW I understand the recent post with the YouTube video of the Sunn))) cover by the Massey fan. 
Ki77aan :twisted:
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Couldn't get through this one in it's entirety.. Gave it a good go, but not really my thing, but can hear the talents involved for sure..
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Drone as a genre is not for everyone. I think you should feel proud just for getting through the whole thing.

If you did, and your interest was piqued, I would recommend "BLACK ONE". It was my first introduction to SUNNO))), my second favourite of their albums, yet strangely, the album I listen to the least.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Good album, one I'd be surprised if most here haven't already made their mind up on.  Not something I listen to with any real frequency though.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy1975 said
Good album, one I'd be surprised if most here haven't already made their mind up on.  Not something I listen to with any real frequency though.

I figured it would present itself as a bit of a musical anomaly for some.  Nice to see everyone at least giving it a go.  Once I had decided on Drone it was just a question of which side of it I wanted to showcase.  For anyone that is interested in the lighter side of Drone (Ambient/Drone), check out the album Centralia by Mountains.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Love this band and what they do, but as others have said, obviously this isn't something you throw on all the time. But it's fucking amazing for what it is.

If I might sprinkle in a little context for some of the unfamiliar, here's what it looks like when Sunn O))) plays in, say, a church.

Here's a photo of the live set up:

What is all that stuff? Well here's a tour rider for their stage specs. 125db on stage. No big deal. This is 2005, you can find more recent ones and see how it's grown as well.

http://www.john-wiese.com/zine/wp-conte ... 24x791.jpg
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

I understand the vibe they are trying to put out but it just doesn't do it for me. Watching that video drove it home. The theatrics, the accentuating of every note by raising their guitars before playing, the dark feel, the slow motion aspect just are not for me. It doesn't feel like music but rather a bunch of notes played randomly and held for way too long. Like I said it sounds like it should be background music for a an animated horror film(maybe more German than Japanese).

Glad I heard it though and will try other bands in this genre to be fair.
Professor of Lesbian Science
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

It's impossible to fault someone not liking something that's THIS niche.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

joeypants said
It's impossible to fault someone not liking something that's THIS niche.

Agreed.

It's not for everyone. To appreciate it, you really have to switch your mind off and distance yourself from what you believe music should be and just let it take you where it's going to take you. Don't have any preconceived notions about what should be happening..

It's a shame that they don't appear to be releasing anything new anytime soon also....

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The last song, Alice, kind of saved it for me.  I could not get into the first 3 at all though.  Alice is a must hear if you got a spare 16 minutes though.

5/10

And as I said earlier, objective is easily an 8/10
Hey! Denty!