Australian politics thread

For discussions that don't fit inside the other forums
Forum rules
Threads should remain on topic. Unnecessary trolling and bickering posts will be deleted. Some light hearted banter will be tolerated. Controversial topics such as racism, paedophilia and such will be deleted. The beatings will continue until moral improves.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Calfium Jay said
http://www.liberal.org.au/fast-affordab ... better-nbn

What's such a "joke" about what they are offering?

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Yeah that would be great up until 2010, we need to compete with the rest of the world in relation to this area, the Liberal plan doesn't cut it for the next 50 years

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay said
http://www.liberal.org.au/fast-affordab ... better-nbn

Ok, I'm done with the debate.  It's obvious no one has anything to gain here.  I'm more interested in hearing some independant thought and discussion rather than just links to the Liberal website.

Time to move on.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Calfium Jay said

Tyson said
None of the labor parties policies have affected me except now I pay less tax, oh and I have a whole bunch of free health professional checks with various different doctors to help manage my type 1 diabetes.

Labor has announced its policies, they are all there in the budget, where is the Liberals alternative policies? All they do is nag, nag and some more nag, without saying what the alternatives are.

Turning back the boats is not an option.

Direct action on climate change is way too expensive.

A surplus means that the government took too much money through taxes, whereas there is nothing wrong with a modest deficit.

I showed this to my colleagues at work 15 minutes ago and the ENTIRE office (around 30 people congregating around my computer terminal) burst into laughter. Wish I had a video so I could upload it.

"The fuck?!?!? What forum is this?!?!?"

"What a farce - just pipe dreams. That's all they are. Unfunded, unstructured...fluffy speeches and little else"

"This guy on drugs?"

"Yeah...well let them vote Rudd if that's what they want...just more work for us tax agents to handle>"

"Rudd's a fuckup and a glamour boy poster child for Generation Y. Watching tv last night and seeing some of the morons on these Aussie reality tv shows it's no wonder celebrities rather than politicians get voted in".

"fucking clueless"

"Australians get the government they deserve. that's why fuckwits like Rudd run the country"

"Not a realistic policy in sight. Just look what they've done with border control."

There we go again with civil discussion on policies

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Who would've thought a thread on politics would get nasty . . .
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Imagine trying to have a civilised debate with Calfium Jay's work mates

Well I believe these areas of policies have done some good things and here is the measured reason why . . .

"What a farce – just pipe dreams. That's all they are. Unfunded, unstructured…fluffy speeches and little else"

"This guy on drugs?"

"Yeah…well let them vote Rudd if that's what they want…just more work for us tax agents to handle>"

"Rudd's a fuckup and a glamour boy poster child for Generation Y. Watching tv last night and seeing some of the morons on these Aussie reality tv shows it's no wonder celebrities rather than politicians get voted in".

"fucking clueless"

"Australians get the government they deserve. that's why fuckwits like Rudd run the country"

"Not a realistic policy in sight. Just look what they've done with border control."

Well I disagree and here is the measured reason why . . .

"What a farce – just pipe dreams. That's all they are. Unfunded, unstructured…fluffy speeches and little else"

"This guy on drugs?"

"Yeah…well let them vote Rudd if that's what they want…just more work for us tax agents to handle>"

"fucking clueless"

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

And now for the only thing that really matters

THE ECONOMY!
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

You want Labor Party members to handle the economic welfare of this country then go right ahead and vote for them. 

Viva la choice.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Well we didn't go into recession during the global financial crisis, one of the only first world economies to do so.

Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Yeah.....thankyou MR HOWARD and MR COSTELLO for leaving a budget surplus of $85 billion in the kitty after they left office.

Which Mr Rudd and his band of miscreant council workers took full credit for...

Seven years later we are in debt to the tune of some $290 billion.....

Great economic management Mr Swan - who PROMISED come hell or high water that Australia would be in surplus by now. 

Another broken promise by Labor.

Your money - down the drain.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Why are deficits a bad thing again?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

They never should have promised a surplus - it was never going to happen regardless of whether or not the ALP or LNP were in power.  I've never really understood why people get so worked up about politicians not keeping promises.  It happens repeatedly regardless of who is in power.

Two can play at that game of course:

“No, there’s no way that a GST will ever be part of our policy.” Journalist: “Never ever?” John Howard: “Never ever. It’s dead. It was killed by the voters in the last election”

Nothing wrong with a deficit when the money is being spent correctly and for the right reasons.  Time will tell if these decisions are correct.  Personally I'm of the opinion that the nations economy is largely out of the control of any government - generally these guys are just weathering what ever global storm seems to be hitting at the time.  I can't think of any government that isn't criticised for mismanaging the economy - seems to be the go to argument for whoever is in opposition.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Whatever your political beliefs, this is just perfect

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Election over:

Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Nickelback?

Honestly, Joe Hockey is a flake.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay said
Nickelback?

Honestly, Joe Hockey is a flake.

Yeah, to be fair though I imagine most politicians have at least as bad taste in music as I do or worse.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

You guys realize he's Canadian, right?
Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Molson.

Hell yea!
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Ha!! He thinks he has a "policy" on asylum seekers now:

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... rs/?cs=300

What a merry little farce this joke of a government has become.

Turn the boats BACK!!!

And make it a criminal offence to enter Australia illegally.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

It's not illegal to seek asylum

Also it's pretty obvious you're a troll
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I really don't see what turning the boats back would achieve.  Both parties have shitty records when it comes to immigration, and I have no faith that either of them will improve anything following the election.

That said, people entering the country via boat is such a tiny percentage of all immigration that I really don't understand why it's made such a big deal of by the media.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy1975 said

That said, people entering the country via boat is such a tiny percentage of all immigration that I really don't understand why it's made such a big deal of by the media.

How many people have died trying to enter Australia illegally by plane?!? And if you think 47,000 illegal arrivals is a "small" number, well.....

Simple - you enter Australia by jumping the queue and paying some corrupt official or whoever to "boat" you over, then it's curtains for you and your family. Goodbye. You will not be processed at any stage ever. You will be struck off the list and if you attempt it a second time you will be jailed and then returned to your country of origin upon release.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Tyson said
It's not illegal to seek asylum

Also it's pretty obvious you're a troll

No, but it's illegal to support a criminal trade (ie people smuggling,) by paying a fee to a crim to ship you here.

There are perfectly legitimate ways to enter the country by applying for asylum.

Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Funny how "Krudd The Magnificient" won't name an election date either...

Onya Kruddy! What a merry little Labor Stooge!!
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Rudd now says the boat people were not lured by his softer laws, but pushed out by “suddenly ... a war in Sri Lanka”.

In fact, there was nothing “sudden” about Sri Lanka’s civil war in 2009:

After more than 25 years of violence the conflict ended in May 2009, when government forces seized the last area controlled by Tamil Tiger rebels.

Tamils fleeing could have chosen nearby India’s Tamil Nadu, with a large Tamil population. Rudd made Australia a more attractive alternative for economic refugees as well.

Rudd’s other excuse of “new people movements out of countries such as Afghanistan” is even weaker.

Afghanistan was liberated from Taliban rule in 2001. Since then the overall movement of refugees has been back to Afghanistan, not away from:

More than 5.7 million refugees have voluntarily repatriated to Afghanistan in the last 10 years, of whom more than 4.6 million were assisted to do so by UNHCR.

Rudd cannot bear to admit to a terrible mistake, but the facts are clear. He changed the laws and sent a signal that was received by people smugglers and their passengers. The cost has been horrific - more than 1000 dead, more than 10,000 in detention, more than 40,000 arrived and more than $5 billion lost.

"Suddenly" - around the same time border laws in Australia were rolled back mind you - a war "broke out" in Sri Lanka causing tens of thousands of Sri Lankan nationals to abandon their homeland and head to Australia?!?!

Is that yr excuse, Krudd??

Boy, you really do preach to the ignorant masses, don't you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay said

hellboy1975 said

How many people have died trying to enter Australia illegally by plane?!? And if you think 47,000 illegal arrivals is a "small" number, well.....

47,000 illegals via boat?  Over what period of time?  Citation needed.  According to figures I can see 17,202 arrived in 2012.  Feel free to quote stats to bolster your arguments in here, but at least try and give some kind of citation rather than just plucking them off the Liberals website.

And no, I don't think it's a small number.  The figure is high - too high, bigger than I expected it to be to be honest.  I said it's a tiny percentage, and there's a difference.  From what I can see what get over 200,000 immigrants per year, and 17,000 boat people is a little under 10% - perhaps not tiny, but not a huge number either.  

Either way, I don't think there's a policy that either side can implement that will reduce their numbers - the problem is what to do with them.  I don't think turning them back is a great option, nor do I think processing them offshore is either.