Danny updates us on the next Tool album

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said
So if he actually is the producer for the new album, a big gripe of many about 10k Days has already been changed?

I expect if he is involved in the new album it' would be as the engineer rather than the producer - the same role Baressi had on 10k Days.

For what it's worth I had no problems with the sound on 10k Days, so having Baressi return wouldn't bother me in the slightest.  Having Kasai would be an interesting prospect - he's experienced in recording, but doesn't have anyone near the size of Tool under his belt.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

I really don't give a fuck- I just find it refreshing as hell to see a studio shot of them with someone else getting involved. It's coming
also, Avatar!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I had no problem with it either but I know many here did.

I also have no problem with them giving this up and comer a shot.
Hey! Denty!
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

lately 10000days has been resonating quite well with me.....its got to be headphones for me to feel it tho

go taff!
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

10,000 Days was full of clipping.  Pretty hard to achieve a fuck up like that considering it was recorded on analog.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

10,000 Days was full of clipping.  Pretty hard to achieve a fuck up like that considering it was recorded on analog.

That may well be true, however just because something contains clipping doesn't mean it sounds bad.  10k Days sound great on everything I listen it on.

Lateralus and Aenima both have clipping as well, but no one ever seems to complain.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

What the hell is clipping?
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

^^^my thoughts exactly

and, can you provide an example of it happening in one of their songs?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

dickleiper said
^^^my thoughts exactly

There's a pretty good rundown here:

https://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=64182

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Welp. 2015 it is.
SteveBobSteve
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

hellboy1975 said

dickleiper said
^^^my thoughts exactly

There's a pretty good rundown here:

https://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=64182

Thanks HB. very very interesting read. i had a listen  on my headphones (at work) of the examples in 10Kdays noted further down the thread and i can see what the issue is now. would never have thought that was what "clipping" is...
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Ah, the "clipping" phenomenon.

Yeah I've heard a bit about how there are programs where you can "de-master" music by predicting what parts were clipped, etc. pfft.

I've noticed some clipping on 10k days, but it isn't as bad as most shit that's been released the past 10 odd years. Ol' Joe did alright, I just wish they'd switch back to Davy B. Not to say Lateralus is clip free, I just like what he did with Lateralus and Aenima.

SteveBobSteve
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Clipping is one of those things you probably won't notice until somebody points it out to you and that afterwards you start noticing it all the time. My enjoyment of music definitely went down a small notch once I started noticing these things.
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

BS

Clipping is way easy to tell, if there is no 'dynamics' it's clipped.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

Hmmm...this is something I've never really paid attention to.

The all time shittiest produced record I've heard is Metallica's St. Anger....gawd...the drums!
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

Tyson said
BS

Clipping is way easy to tell, if there is no 'dynamics' it's clipped.

Huh?  I think you're thinking of something different.  Clipping is the distortion that occurs when the signal (or sound) is recorded too hot (or loud) pushing the gain peak past its threshold (into the red).

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Either way, my untrained ears don't seem to notice, and I'm happy with it being that way.

I'm all for albums sounding great and nothing like St Anger though.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

No. The problem with the industry is that there isn't ENOUGH St. Anger. We need more damn it!
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Huh?  I think you're thinking of something different.  Clipping is the distortion that occurs when the signal (or sound) is recorded too hot (or loud) pushing the gain peak past its threshold (into the red).

You're right, I was thinking more of compression but don't they go hand in hand? Once again there are no dynamics on the albums, the loud parts are loud, the quiet parts are loud.

One great example of this is Death Magnetic, the CD version was compressed as hell but then the Guitar Hero version wasn't and the difference was astronomical, so 10,000 days less compressed would be a god send.

chair
Bronco's Fan

Post by chair »

As Antiquiet reports, the band's recent statements regarding their involvement in the "biggest project of their lives," along with the prolonged new album release might be somewhat of an indicator that the four-piece is in fact producing a film.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upc ... carey.html

Hm.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

chair said

As Antiquiet reports, the band's recent statements regarding their involvement in the "biggest project of their lives," along with the prolonged new album release might be somewhat of an indicator that the four-piece is in fact producing a film.

Hm.

I highly doubt they're producing a film. Also I just found out today that Ultimate-Guitar.com had like actual news and shit. I just thought it was all like fucking guitar tabs and shit.

Don't mow your lawn
chair
Bronco's Fan

Post by chair »

Shit, man.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It'd be great if they were doing a film, if they are though, my guess would be it would be hand in hand with the next album.  It already appears based on Adam's comments at the VIP sessions that the Pot video (if it was ever really that) is now going to be used on the next album. 

If Tool want to top their current live show (and I have no doubt they do) a fantastic way to go about doing that is to come up with a complete movie/multimedia type performance ala The Wall.  Imagine the first part of the show being the new album/movie as one piece, and then a short hits set following that.

We can dream anyway...
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

chair said

Hm.

*jizzes

inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

hellboy1975 said
It'd be great if they were doing a film, if they are though, my guess would be it would be hand in hand with the next album.  It already appears based on Adam's comments at the VIP sessions that the Pot video (if it was ever really that) is now going to be used on the next album. 

If Tool want to top their current live show (and I have no doubt they do) a fantastic way to go about doing that is to come up with a complete movie/multimedia type performance ala The Wall.  Imagine the first part of the show being the new album/movie as one piece, and then a short hits set following that.

We can dream anyway...

Surely it goes without saying that there will be a gimmick with the new album. Lateralus + 10k was the packaging, and it's been mentioned in interviews before that Adam was/is conscious of creating something that encourages people to buy the album vs. rip it (I still remember lining up in Bourke st mall in '06 at midnight - the queue went all the way down Swanston st... when's the last time that happened!?... although I did rip it from limewire a day earlier. Ugh)

There was also an interview a while back about him fancying a digital release (maybe it was said @ vip?), which lends itself to the multimedia version of speculation.

Am I the only one that raised an eyebrow at that little 'adamation' snippet posted a while back? I've seen the other things he has on instagram that seem to follow the same suit, so he's probably just mucking around with some app on his phone... but maybe not. 

It's all guess-work for sure, but good fun to think that they're up to something.