Album of the Week - Frank Zappa - Apostrophe / Overnight Sensation

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

If you've never heard this, let me be the first to welcome you...  some of my favorite music...

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Apostro ... on/1737148

Lyrics:

http://www.davemcnally.com/lyrics/frank ... postrophe/

http://www.davemcnally.com/lyrics/frank ... sensation/
Ki77aan :twisted:
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I thought this was album of the week, not albums?
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

The only Zappa I've ever heard was 'We are only in it for the money' so I thought I knew what to expect.

So I just finished Apostrophe, very enjoyable and different from what I was expecting, a much more mature and evolved form of Zappa. Loved all the funk aspects and the proggy bits without being overindulgent. The singer sometimes annoyed me, mainly in the first half of the album, where it was more a sound over guy than a singer.

Probably my fav pick of all others posted that I hadn't heard before.

Very talented players.

8/10
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Tyson said

Yeah, that's a fair comment/concern.  I originally planned to go with just Overnight Sensation, which is the superior of the two IMO, but oddly, could not find it readily available on its own.  In my defense, these two albums were sold as one, as you can see from the image, and a quick web search will confirm.  I actually tried to upload OS to SoundCloud and instantly got hit with Copyright notices, which surprised me a bit.  So that's the story, deal with it or not.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Never got into Zappa.

This album had good parts like Apostrophe and others but the chaotic-ness of most of the songs seems to turn me away. I like the story telling but don't care for the weirdness, however, I was grooving to some of the tunes.

Professor of Lesbian Science
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Ok so which one do we listen to then?
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Since this was released this way, listen to both.  I don't think it's that big a deal personally.  
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Kittaan said
I'm a mod rules don't apply to me

Yep
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Also I preferred  Apostrophe, but it's pretty funny to think Tina Turner was getting beaten by Ike while preforming on such a sexual explicit album like Overnight Sensation
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yea not listening to both. I'm passing on this week then.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said

Why don't you just check out a couple of songs before passing? Maybe you'll enjoy it. You don't have to listen to all of it.

Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

UndKeineEier said

Ravenpig said

Why don't you just check out a couple of songs before passing? Maybe you'll enjoy it. You don't have to listen to all of it.

The voice of reason, UKE.  RP, you're usually not such a wanker, so I'll let that slide.

As I said, I intended originally to only go with Overnight Sensation (Tracks 10 - 16), so listen to that.  You angry young pig.

@ Tyson - Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yea yea blah blah blah. I'm out of this thread now, have a good one.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Also, for anyone who is really digging this music, I highly recommend watching this, which I just found on YouTube, but you can also get on Netflix or elsewhere.

And notice, they focus on BOTH Apostrophe and OS together on this Classic Albums episode, not one or the other.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ravenpig said

OK, don't respond to this reply then.  I know you're reading it though, so it's going to be tough on you.  Doh!

Seriously, what a big baby.  Don't worry, I won't retaliate when it's your turn again.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Kittaan said

Ravenpig said

OK, don't respond to this reply then.  I know you're reading it though, so it's going to be tough on you.  Doh!

Seriously, what a big baby.  Don't worry, I won't retaliate when it's your turn again.

Might be some sort of baby animal disease going on here.... let's hope for the best and that the ravencrow bird flu doesn't spread!

basejumper said

Crow said

Yeah, for fuck sake. You had one fucking job to do: pick ONE album, and whore it out.

And also, because you chose fuckin' THE MUSIC, I won't be listening to either of them.

Retard.

Get over it you whiny baby! Just listen to the frickin album! You will be missing out if you don't.

Professor of Lesbian Science
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

basejumper said

Kittaan said

Ravenpig said

Might be some sort of baby animal disease going on here.... let's hope for the best and that the ravencrow bird flu doesn't spread!

basejumper said

Crow said

Yeah, for fuck sake. You had one fucking job to do: pick ONE album, and whore it out.

And also, because you chose fuckin' THE MUSIC, I won't be listening to either of them.

Retard.

Get over it you whiny baby! Just listen to the frickin album! You will be missing out if you don't.

I have had literally nothing to do with this thread. For what reason, exactly, have you bothered to mention me? And twice, at that?

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Kittaan said

Tyson said

Yeah, that's a fair comment/concern.  I originally planned to go with just Overnight Sensation, which is the superior of the two IMO, but oddly, could not find it readily available on its own.  In my defense, these two albums were sold as one, as you can see from the image, and a quick web search will confirm.  I actually tried to upload OS to SoundCloud and instantly got hit with Copyright notices, which surprised me a bit.  So that's the story, deal with it or not.

Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Tyson said

Kittaan said
I'm a mod rules don't apply to me

Yep

I Lol'd. 

About to have a listen now, have never really given Zappa time before so glad ya chose him for ya selection.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Kathoel-ik girlzzzzz...
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Never been much of a Zappa fan, never will be.  The humor aspect does nothing for me.  Vocally doesn't quite work for me.  Musically Zappa is brilliant.  Not an album that I would listen to on a regular basis, but an album that is flawlessly executed.  8/10  (i said album, taking all 16 tracks as one piece)

As for Raven and others bitching about two albums stop acting like fucking pussies.  When something is packaged and presented together it is fairly safe to view it as one piece.

@Kittaan - Another solid pick.  I appreciate your taste in music.  Well done.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

@ravenpig.  i have just perused this thread for the first time and you think my posts are fucked and incoherent (not a direct quote, I'm aware... )? 

@kittaan

Well acquainted with both these albums.

Safe pick.

Solid.

RIP Frank.  

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Album of the Week - Frank Zappa - Apostrophe / Overnight

Post by Kittaan »

Lest ye ferget about Frank with the move to the new digs...

Here he is. Listen and enjoy.

Who's up next?
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

We lost this genius way too soon.Gone at 52 years young.I have this double album and love it.Save for Dinah-Moe Humm,It is a relatively safe listen around the youngsters..Unlike,say,Sheik Yerbouti
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

eyepod wrote:We lost this genius way too soon.Gone at 52 years young.I have this double album and love it.Save for Dinah-Moe Humm,It is a relatively safe listen around the youngsters..Unlike,say,Sheik Yerbouti
Very true. Gone are the days when I can play shit and not get "the questions".