LESSER KEY (Paul D'Amour)

Volto!, m.t.Void, White Onion and other side projects of current and former Tool members
chair
Bronco's Fan

LESSER KEY (Paul D'Amour)

Post by chair »

Freedom is a double-edged sword; we are inspired to create from the ugly as well as the beautiful. The Los Angeles based rock group, LESSER KEY, represents an exploration into personal and artistic freedom. The group consists of Andrew Zamudio, Brett Fanger, Justin Hanson and Paul D'Amour (founding TOOL bassist).

For the video of their debut single, Intercession, the band collaborated with director Brian Butler who they first met at his performance of The Bartzabel Working (Butler, Kenneth Anger and James Franco's adaptation of an Aleister Crowley ritual).

The group recently finished their debut EP with producer Sylvia Massy (System of a Down, TOOL, Johnny Cash, etc.) seeing a street date late in 2013 through Sumerian Records.
Video (NSFW)

Audio
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: LESSER KEY (Paul D'Amour)

Post by not tyson »

James Franco is such a try hard cunt.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

chair wrote:
Freedom is a double-edged sword; we are inspired to create from the ugly as well as the beautiful. The Los Angeles based rock group, LESSER KEY, represents an exploration into personal and artistic freedom. The group consists of Andrew Zamudio, Brett Fanger, Justin Hanson and Paul D'Amour (founding TOOL bassist).

For the video of their debut single, Intercession, the band collaborated with director Brian Butler who they first met at his performance of The Bartzabel Working (Butler, Kenneth Anger and James Franco's adaptation of an Aleister Crowley ritual).

The group recently finished their debut EP with producer Sylvia Massy (System of a Down, TOOL, Johnny Cash, etc.) seeing a street date late in 2013 through Sumerian Records.
Video (NSFW)

Audio
Terrible. Rhythm section is fine, but they sound like a terrible neo-emo-metal band trying to be all totally OCKULT and shit.

Really embarrassing.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
Terrible. Rhythm section is fine, but they sound like a terrible neo-emo-metal band trying to be all totally OCKULT and shit.

Really embarrassing.
Sound like another band we know.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:

Really embarrassing.
Sound like another band we know.
Yeah, I think I grew out of TOOL's schtick a while ago.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I found the video a bit questionable. What's the motivation for using the nudity and occult aspects? Is that really what they're about, or are they just trying to generate buzz / views?

In terms of the music, I definitely wouldn't say "Terrible" after listening to that. I found it pretty decent and didn't hate the vocals even. Glad Paul is still giving it a go, and looking forward to hearing the rest. If they tour, I might go, based on that song.
Ki77aan :twisted:
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Damn finally watched/listened to this.

How fucking try hard, Paul, maybe you shouldn't have left the band, too late now to make up for past mistakes with wannabes
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:Damn finally watched/listened to this.

How fucking try hard, Paul, maybe you shouldn't have left the band, too late now to make up for past mistakes with wannabes
The fact that they/he have/has to keep using the "ex-TOOL member" line is a bit of a worry.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Paul didn't leave the band, he was fired.

Source: that all Tool issue of Revolver.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I think you guys are being unduly harsh just because Paul is in the band. Not sure why there's so much hate.

Sure, the music isn't amazing, but it's a long, long way from terrible. If we got too critical of bands for having stupid things in videos, then we'd never listen to music again.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I disagree. We're judging the band because they're awful.

And we're also judging the band/D'Amour for constantly shoving the "ex-TOOL member" thing down our throats.

Put it this way: TOOL are pretty awesome. If D'Amour were any good, or fit into the band perfectly, he'd still be with them.

Pointing out that he's no longer with one of the finest bands of all time is constantly admitting that he's sub-par (which, in fact, he kind of is).
chair
Bronco's Fan

Post by chair »

EP preview.

Album presale.

http://lesserkeyband.com/merch/
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

I agree boss , seems like paul is 'riding the coat tails'. I don't find the video went with the song. I don't think I will personally listen or watch the video again. paul looks sad. this is a song one may hear on 'octane'...where all the songs sound the same..
go taff!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I only just discovered this existed randomly on an article and figured there must be a thread on here. Am on 4th song now and enjoying it. Maybe not watching the film clip you've all hated on is helping or maybe because I'm a sucker for tasty bass lines which this ep has plenty of but Im digging.

The lyrics are somewhat uninspired but reminds me very much of Karnivool more than anything. Sure it's not Tool and the sound has been done plenty before but is by no means terrible.
Listen to All Them Witches
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

This last post being four years after the seconed-to-last post reminded me that I never actually reviewed this band when I saw them live in 2014 opening for Cynic in Oakland. Memories have faded but I will post what I do remember:
I listened to and liked Lesser Key's EP before I went to the 'Cynic with Lesser Key' show. When LK played, the songs sounded good live. They pretty much played the E.P. sound for sound. I remember that 'sound for sound' fact because Cynic sounded different live, so that was my comparison between the two bands that night. Which is understandable: Cynic has been around for decades, and to my knowledge it was Lesser Key's first tour.
Anyway that already was four year ago. Checked up online about Lesser Key at times, the band doesn't seem to have anything going on at all. But I still hope the best for them! Especially Paul D'amour, who deserves to find something he can give 100% passion to.