More Tool interview snippets

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

As Blair promised in the last Tool newsletter, there's a bunch of new Tool interviews out this morning (it appears as though there was an embargo on the tour dates and the flood gates are now well and truely open). Here's a few choice cuts from what I've read.

From David Farrier, who's full interview should be in NZ's Rip It Up soon, Danny talks about the newest track they're working on:

David Farrier: I hear you are working on a big “Lateralus” type song for this album… how is that coming?

Danny Carey: Um, really good. I mean we’re still – believe it or not! – still working on it [laughter] – it’s like an ever-evolving thing, it’s probably going to turn into a thing that’s like, uh, a big trilogy type of feel to it, sort of life, just like Disposition and Intension and Triad, like on the Lateralus record or something. It will probably be over a 20 minute piece when it’s all finished, so it will be a good part of the record. We’re dealing with it in sections, but it’s coming together really well, we’re having lots of fun working on it, that’s for sure.

In the Fasterlouder interview I've already posted, Adam talks about plans for the Australian tour:

Adam, you’re responsible for the visual side of things. The Australian tour that you’re just announcing, what should we expect from the visuals on this tour?
AJ: I don’t know. We haven’t gone through the process yet, but it’s a process of talking, agreeing on a setlist and talking to our people and then we have a budget and deciding how can we really push that budget and make it mind-boggling and dark and entertaining for people and, again, give them their money’s worth and have fun, so you just evolve with the ideas. The first step is picking the setlist and then going out there and setting up video screens and lasers and lights and smoke and seeing how you can make it apply and advance what you’re doing on stage. It’s a reflective thing; it’s what I would want to see if I went to see a band. I want to see how they can enhance what they’re doing visually.

Have you talked about a setlist, yet?
AJ: No, sir.

Do you think we’ll be hearing any of the new songs?
AJ: I don’t know. We’re still in negotiations on that.

In the New Zealand Herald there's a brief snippet from Justin talking about the new album, or possibly some other project. Not sure when the full interview is being released:

TimeOut talked to guitarist Adam Jones and bass player Justin Chancellor last week; they refused to divulge much about the new album - or say when it would be out.

"We're currently involved in the biggest project of our lives," is all Chancellor would reveal.

And that's about it for now. No doubt there will be some more - seems as though Fasterlouder are the only Australian media outlet to put out an interview, but I expect there will be more.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

20 minute song? Fuck. Yea.
Hey! Denty!
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

David Farrier: I hear you are working on a big “Lateralus” type song for this album… how is that coming?

Danny Carey: Um, really good. I mean we’re still – believe it or not! – still working on it [laughter] – it’s like an ever-evolving thing, it’s probably going to turn into a thing that’s like, uh, a big trilogy type of feel to it, sort of life, just like Disposition and Intension and Triad, like on the Lateralus record or something. It will probably be over a 20 minute piece when it’s all finished, so it will be a good part of the record. We’re dealing with it in sections, but it’s coming together really well, we’re having lots of fun working on it, that’s for sure.

YES.

"We're currently involved in the biggest project of our lives," is all Chancellor would reveal.

Something I've long suspected. It can't possibly take them 3 + years to write and be just another album. There's obviously something attached to this new project that is so far unrevealed. 

Fuck it, who cares how long it takes to come out now. If it's a career defining, epic son of a bitch then I'll be one happy sunbeam.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig said
20 minute song? Fuck. Yea.

Depends. If it sucks, that's a huge chunk of the album wasted.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

True. But with their track record and my love of long songs I'm psyched for it.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig said
True. But with their track record and my love of long songs I'm psyched for it.

True - I'd love a repeat of the "LATERALUS" "trilogy". Though I'd rather they do it properly and put it out as an epic EP, or the second disc on a two CD album. Twenty minutes doesn't seem that long to me anymore.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Shit, you're right. Dis/Ref/Triad is longer than 20 minutes. Perhaps they'll hit Pink Floyd Echoes level.
Hey! Denty!
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I'm usually not into extremely long songs. I love 10 minutes songs, but the longest song I listen to on a regular basis is only 15 minutes. Any longer than that and I tend to lose interest. This is Tool though, so I'll be down.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

6 or 7 good frameworks and one of em is a 20+ minute beast?That's damn near an entire album for a mortal band.
Double disk in the works?
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Possibly.
I was hoping that it was six or seven songs completed, plus one 20 minute behemoth still being worked on...
tOOLNZ
Maynard Believer

Post by tOOLNZ »

Super exciting day as a kiwi, and heaps of interviews doing the rounds.

Here is the full NZ Herald article referenced earlier...love that response the interviewer got when asking about the album!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/concerts/news ... d=10863790

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thanks tOOLNZ
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

I knew it all along, of course...
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tOOLNZ said 
Here is the full NZ Herald article referenced earlier...love that response the interviewer got when asking about the album!

Interesting, as a bunch of other interviewers seemed to have no problems asking and getting a response.  Maybe Tool just like to keep people on their toes.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

That other interview apparently ended abruptly as well, wonder if they had a flight or something.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

"Still, as Jones says, Tool is their main focus, and since it has been a long time between records, the big question really has to be asked: Are they happy with the new album and how it's going?

Hey, it's not as if we asked when the new album was going to be out. But with that there is a "beep" and Tool are gone, without even as much as a goodbye."

Is this what everyone is referring to? Because to me, that's not funny at all. That's fucking rude.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

^^^rude...sounds so familiar
go taff!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

budsyralli said
^^^rude...sounds so familiar

I don't recall anyone ever paying to hear my thoughts and opinions in an interview. Just ignore me, dude. You fail every single time you try to have a go at me.

Think about this: If someone had asked Justin Bieber when his next album was coming out, and he immediately hung up the phone, what would everyone's reaction be?

Yeah, I'd call him rude bastard, too.

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I doubt they paid Adam for the interview
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Adam will be on Triple J this afternoon so I hear.  No doubt telling them what fuckheads they are.

Also why the fuck isn't anyone asking about the new video?
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Why not tweet the doctor and ask him?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said
Adam will be on Triple J this afternoon so I hear.  No doubt telling them what fuckheads they are.

Probably on the Do Not Ask list.

Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

GOOD QUESTION.

/me ragequits out of life
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

i love touring there

when it's summer...

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

Its good to hear some talk about the album. Sounds intriguing.