My Tool Top 10

The Main Event
basejumper
Droner

Re: My Tool Top 10

Post by basejumper »

hellboy wrote:Disaster! While cleaning my desk I threw away my list! Will have to try and remember how my top 4 went...
I don't think anyone really cares at this point :P
Professor of Lesbian Science
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

HB, just go off of your list that I keep quoting.
I like to poop naked.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Not Tyson wrote:Meh, I was wrong, they are all retarded

Once everyone was satisfied with the mixes, they flew to Portland, Maine, to master the project at Bob Ludwig's Gateway Mastering facility. Ludwig used the Pyramix Virtual Studio DAW and a state-of-the-art Sound Performance Laboratory analog console. Ludwig, Barresi and the band listened through 800-pound Eggleston Works Ivy Speakers that are actually seated down to bedrock. Ludwig also used George Massenburg and Manley EQs on the project.

Even though Ludwig has mastered countless projects, he gets excited about Tool albums. “They're a great combination of heaviness and yet huge dynamic range,” he says. “They're one band that came in, and I think Danny said, ‘We don't care if we're the loudest thing on the radio. We just want you to maintain our dynamics.’ You have to really respect that in a band.”

http://mixonline.com/recording/projects ... ools_days/
bwhahahahahaha WOW and people think I am an arrogant fuck. You actually think your opinion is more valid than Bob Fucking Ludwig? Award winning, world renowned mastering engineer and yet somehow he is retarded because he doesn't agree with Tyson's uneducated opinion on mastering?

Look 10,000 Days is NOT as good an album as Lateralus or Aenima but in terms of mixing and mastering the album sounds exactly how the band wanted it to. You might not like the direction they took and I think most of us agree that Bottrill does a better job of capturing Tool at their best, but from a mixing/mastering perspective there is nothing specifically WRONG with 10,000 Days. I know you probably can't afford a good enough set of speakers or headphones to properly appreciate the way the album sounds so I will cut you some slack.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

MOG wrote:
Look 10,000 Days is NOT as good an album as Lateralus or Aenima
... and in fairness to 10,000 days, I think a lot of us can agree that those two albums are two of the better albums ever made, by any band. I think expectations should be tempered for the next album; people are only going to disappoint themselves if they compare everything to those two albums. It's like looking at a painting and saying "it's okay, but it's not as good as Starry Night."
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

inspiration_tactic wrote:
MOG wrote:
... and in fairness to 10,000 days, I think a lot of us can agree that those two albums are two of the better albums ever made, by any band. I think expectations should be tempered for the next album; people are only going to disappoint themselves if they compare everything to those two albums. It's like looking at a painting and saying "it's okay, but it's not as good as Starry Night."
Agreed. I don't respect what Tool have become but there is no denying that Aenima and Lateralus are masterpiece level albums by any metric in any genre.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

MOG wrote:
inspiration_tactic wrote:
MOG wrote:
Agreed. I don't respect what Tool have become but there is no denying that Aenima and Lateralus are masterpiece level albums by any metric in any genre.
What have TOOL "become" exactly? It seems to me they have kept the same set of ideals for their entire career. The only thing that has changed is the music, and it's gotten better, much better, in my opinion...
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

They've become a band that take a long time between album. Nothing new of course, but MOG still hates it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Number 4 is finally here an it's The Grudge!
Lateralus has almost the perfect opening track. The Grudge is one that features great work from all four members of the band, and is most commonly the track I recommend to new fans to listen to in order to see what Tool really sound like.

When I heard it I felt like Justin was truly a member of the band for the first time. The bass work in the track is excellent, and it was clear to me that Justin was now out of the shadow of Paul’s work on Aenima. There’s some memorable lyrics from Maynard as well, not to mention the 30 second scream at the end.

Danny owns the track at the end though – the last 30 seconds feature some of my favorite drumming on any song by any band, and one of the fills in particular is out of this world.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The couple of minutes surrounding the "dividing/sinking deeper!" part are absolute musical perfection.
Hey! Denty!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

It's a track that I often forget about - mostly because it lives in the shadow of The Patient - one of the greatest "rock" songs of all time - but a decent #4 nonetheless....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

There are very few songs in this world that I enjoy more than The Grudge, and a few of those few are also by tool
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

ah The Grudge. Good choice admin. The Grudge is so much better live imo, it's a bit faster and it doesn't sound like maynard is taking a shit.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Ettan wrote:ah The Grudge. Good choice admin. The Grudge is so much better live imo, it's a bit faster and it doesn't sound like maynard is taking a shit.
Haha good call. Yeah this song is special, for all of the reasons already listed, but this is also the first tool song I heard live. Still makes my sack tingle just thinking about that crazy night.

They really do make a statement with this opener, I wonder if we will be treated to a similar stand out on the next album?

And I'm not even sure if I can think of three tool songs better than this? Maybe Third Eye...ummm
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

The Grudge was probably the first song half or more of us heard live from Tool.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Calfium Jay wrote:It's a track that I often forget about - mostly because it lives in the shadow of The Patient - one of the greatest "rock" songs of all time - but a decent #4 nonetheless....
^ Yup. The Patient > The Grudge
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

markuspoop wrote:
markuspoop wrote:
hellboy wrote:Saw that on reddit the other day. Â I wouldn't have Vicarious or Parabola on my list, but other than that if it was ok.

If I were to do a top 10 it would be something like:

Aenima

Lateralus

Third Eye

Stinkfist 4. The Grudge

The Grudge 5. Stinkfist

Pushit 6. Pushit

Rosetta Stoned 7. Eulogy

Schism 8. Hooker with a Penis

Flood 9. Jambi

Eulogy 10. Flood
I like to poop naked.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

I think if I were actually do one of these lists, The Grudge would be #1 on it. That bit around the 3:50ish mark is boner-riffic. Plus I think it was the song that got me back into the band.
I like to poop naked.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

I've got 5 out of 7 so far! But I was a fool for leaving Third Eye off. Interesting observation on Justin stepping out of Paul's shadow with The Grudge. I think the song's intracacies show that as well as how everyone shines in it. But I always thought 46 & 2 was a great example of Justin's presence and originality too, especially since it was his first song with the band I think. You can really tell the whole band grew with both songs, but for being his first song with the band I think he was already stepping out strongly.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

Aside from the spectacular drum fill that puts the cherry on top, my favorite part of The Grudge is that brief little bit of silence they give you before "Defining! Confining! Controlling!... and we're sinking deeper!" They explode back in, switching the rhythms for the first time in the song. The first time I heard that part, I knew I found the band. I can't help but get jacked the fuck up when I think about it. Great observation HB kind of allowing The Grudge to be the definitive Tool song; the song that you suggest a new listener go with first. While it is a long song, I feel it is one of the most 'accessible' songs on Lateralus, thus a new listener would probably be more receptive to that... moreso than many of the others on the album. I never got to see it live... fuck me.
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

inspiration_tactic wrote:While it is a long song, I feel it is one of the most 'accessible' songs on Lateralus, thus a new listener would probably be more receptive to that... moreso than many of the others on the album. I never got to see it live... fuck me.
Exactly my point. The Grudge in my opinion is definitely their most accessible "long" song, and for a new listener is part of a great intro to the band. Without giving much away, the remaining three songs (well two at least) are more complex Tool numbers that are songs I love, but perhaps not ones that will grip a casual fan immediately.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

3: Lateralus
2: Third Eye
1: Reflection
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

HB's remaining 3 are: Third Eye, Lateralus, Aenima.
I like to poop naked.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

markuspoop wrote:HB's remaining 3 are: Third Eye, Lateralus, Aenima.
Your guesswork is throwing the board into chaos.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

3.Triad
2.Triad
1.Triad
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

#3??????????????????????????????????????
Don't mow your lawn