In appreciation of Tool

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Artist Direct have a new article online where they've invited a bunch of artists, including Tom Morello, Rob Trujillo and Bill Kelliher to talk about their love for Tool:

Greg Puciato of Dillinger Escape Plan

Greg Puciato: The first time I heard them was the music video for "Sober". I watched so much MTV at that time. I was enamored with all of the bands coming out. Being a kid watching MTV, that time period was amazing. There was one great band after another Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, and Pearl Jam. Every day there was a new exciting band coming out. Being 10 to 13-years-old, I was like, "Oh my God!" I didn't really get into Tool until Ænima though. When I heard "Stinkfist", I thought, "Wow, this is really next level musically!" They were the first band that I saw really trying to preserve themselves artistically. I latched on to how much they didn't do. They didn't do anything normally. They weren't in their videos. They never did whacky tours with shitty bands. They refused to do anything that wasn't exactly in line with their aesthetic. That really stuck with me more so than it musically influenced me. I realized what you don't do is as much if not more important than what you do.

Some quite interesting answers actually. I found Steve Harris from Iron Maiden's response a little strange - like he'd barely even heard of the band!

insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

what does Muse think?
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

^ +1 for all kinds of quality.

Seems like a bad joke.  Buzzo said it best in that Tool Revolver magazine.  They are lazy.
toolrocks
Maynard Believer

Post by toolrocks »

Steve Harris is funny. It's hard to comment about a band from this era when your band and your music is still stuck in the '80's.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I get where Steve Harris is coming from, there's quite a few bands that I like what I've heard of them but have never listened to one of their albums. It happens.
Hey! Denty!
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

mogeffingmog said

Seems like a bad joke.  Buzzo said it best in that Tool Revolver magazine.  They are lazy.

Humor me Mog. Let's just pretend that they are actually working on the biggest project of their lives. Would you still demand that they release it now, or would you allow them as much time as they need?

"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

gamebounty said

mogeffingmog said

Humor me Mog. Let's just pretend that they are actually working on the biggest project of their lives. Would you still demand that they release it now, or would you allow them as much time as they need?

What does this even mean? At their age, breathing would be a big deal.

Just because they're saying they're working on "the biggest project of their lives" doesn't mean it will be any good. No one in the band has released anything amazing since "LATERALUS".
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Can you just humor me? Let's pretend that this album will be twice as good as Lateralus. What then?
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

GB, for you my friend, I truly hope it ends up being that good and just leave it at that.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

All of these responses sound like they came from third graders.  Just short declarative sentences.  I like Tool.  They used to play near us.  I thought they were awesome.  They play their songs on the radio.  There's nobody out there quite like Tool.  When I grow up I want to be like Tool.

Edit: Oh good, they talked to the guy from Creed.  I was always curious about his opinion of Tool.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Andy Biersack of Black Veil Brides refers to Maynard as "my Maynard." 

I found it interesting that most of the people interviewed called Undertow they're best record.
Don't mow your lawn
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

No one in the band has released anything amazing since “LATERALUS”.

Who honestly doesn't think 10,000 Days is on the same level, if not better, than Lateralus. Fucking brilliant album. Their best so far in my opinion. Can one of you assholes please explain to me exactly why 10,000 Days sucks. I don't get it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Children said
No one in the band has released anything amazing since “LATERALUS”.

Who honestly doesn't think 10,000 Days is on the same level, if not better, than Lateralus. Fucking brilliant album. Their best so far in my opinion. Can one of you assholes please explain to me exactly why 10,000 Days sucks. I don't get it.

I see that you're new here. Welcome to the internet. I won't be your guide.

gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

10,000 Days is definitely their most technical album, and the title track is my favorite song, but yeah, it's not as good as Lateralus. IMO: Lateralus > 10,000 Days > Aenima/Undertow > Salival > Opiate
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

10000days is pretty awesome.....but im no crow
go taff!
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

I think some of those quotes from bands are old. I remember reading that quote from Trujilo a while ago. Good article nonetheless though
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

Crow, you're a shithead.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

Steve harris always gets a pass. He is a bass God.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Crow, you’re a shithead.

+1
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

In Crow's defense (not that he needs my help, of course) you DID call him an asshole simply because his opinion of 10,000 Days is different than yours.

I love 10,000 Days but I don't go around calling people who don't assholes.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

In Crow's defense (not that he needs my help, of course) you DID call him an asshole simply because his opinion of 10,000 Days is different than yours.

Yeah, nah, that's just something I've come to expect.

In everyone else's defence, however, I would argue that I get what I give out. Not a big deal, and in the end, all in good fun, really.

What makes me really laugh, though, is these newbies that contribute nothing except for criticism of me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, sure, but if your entire post count consists of criticism of some dude you clearly don't know or understand, then the problem might, in all actuality, be you.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

What is it with opinions and how they are perceived on the net? They consider opinions to be holy ground, and assume that ALL opinions are legit, and no matter what they deserve respect. Nope. Sometimes, opinions are crap, and sometimes it needs to be pointed out.

We can joke around, and talk shit, and we can also say that a stupid opinion on 10KD can make you temporarily a shithead. No biggie.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Both of you are right.  Crow, you do get what you give.  And Drury I agree with your "why so serious" approach.

The difference here is that a new poster who knows nothing of Crow's posting history decided to call him an asshole purely for his opinion on 10,000 Days.  I almost never get in the middle of any beefs/arguments/etc around here but I found that a bit unfair.

Also I hope this isn't coming off like I'm making a big deal of it.  I'm not saying, I'm just saying, you know? 
Hey! Denty!
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

crow011 said

Yeah, nah, that's just something I've come to expect.

In everyone else's defence, however, I would argue that I get what I give out. Not a big deal, and in the end, all in good fun, really.

What makes me really laugh, though, is these newbies that contribute nothing except for criticism of me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, sure, but if your entire post count consists of criticism of some dude you clearly don't know or understand, then the problem might, in all actuality, be you.

I love when newbies come in here just overfilled with joy about Tool. It's like they have mini-shrines in their basement.

"Hey guys! I effing love Tool (T00L, tool, TooL)! I got into them in '09! Did you hear?? Danny said the album is going to be recorded last year! Holy shite I'm so effing excited!!!! lol rolfmao :/ tmi smh errrrrrmerrrrrrgerrrsssshhh that's hawttt. Crow you're a dick! Tyson is a meanie!"

Or something like that.

I fucking love this website.

SteveBobSteve