Tool music update on Toolband!!

The Main Event
trilobite
Rhandy

Re: Tool music update on Toolband!!

Post by trilobite »

The last album had very good production.
Perhaps too good of production..

Is a point.

And I'm not sure they have ever been a 'lyric driven band'
But nearly all the lyrics have held just as much importance as any of the instruments.

And lateralus was a fucking poem. An epic one

So there's that
also, Avatar!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Maybe it's not as much about being a multi-million $$ 'Production',
As it is being 'a little raw' with your 'bones' laid 'bare'.
also, Avatar!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Fuck Barresi. Hope they don't go back.

*Again
also, Avatar!
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

The Boss wrote:average musicianship
LOL! So says the guy who hasn't ever picked up an instrument.

To me the sound of 10k days is more reflective of their live sound---LOUD AS FUCK. I have little doubt this is why they went the direction they did.
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Right, because 10k was a 'live' album.

Few people have been wondering where that fucker's floating around..

Re: it's their most processed, polished sounding release. It's almost as if I can reach out and cup mayj's balls..
Behind 15 feet of bubble wrap
also, Avatar!
inspiration_tactic
Has been

If you see a show, the guitars are much louder than on their previous albums. I remember hearing Flood in 07; when I heard it I thought it sounded like if Flood was on the 10k days release. To me it sounded great; different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't change any of the productions, personally. I think they are all mixed well and they stand on their own.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

inspiration_tactic wrote:
Actually Crow said he's a guitarist/vocalist, so that's not accurate.

That being said, Crow is mistaken IMO:

The musicianship on 10KD is quite high, and a natural progression from Lateralus. Most especially the drumming, but everyone shines.
The writing was not as cohesive and the lyrics, while interesting, were nowhere as deep - but Lateralus was a concept album while 10KD was not.
MJK's vocal ability is eroding, but he's adjusting his technique accordingly.

The bar was set very high with previous material, specifically Lateralus. This clearly affects perception and comparisons viewed through that lens are not really valid given the above observations.
Ki77aan :twisted:
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Tool Sucks wrote:
hellboy wrote:None of the Tool albums are shining examples of great production in my opinion, so saying 10k Days is terrible (which is isn't, nor is it amazing) seems like a waste of time.
Are you fucking high? Bottrill got Aenima and Lateralus damn near perfect.

Barresi intentionally kept 10k loud. He wanted to try to re-capture that dynamic that was present on Undertow. He specifically said he wanted the guitar out in front a bit more. That was why they didn't want Ludwig to fuck around with the sound much during mastering. The problem with 10k isn't the production. The album lacks any kind of flow and The Pot is a fucking mess of a song. Beyond that 10K is a solid album.
The flow just takes some getting used to. Why not just say that the track list should have been rearranged, or rather, specifically, "Wings for Marie/10,000 Days" should have been placed differently, or maybe even written to be more "accessible" or "less boring" or "not so depressing" huh? That is the real issue that people have with this album, isn't it?

"The Pot" actually brings balance to the album and without it there would truly be no flow, so in my opinion you are full of shit. Sure, it's the worst song on the album, but that isn't saying much; it's a fucking TOOL album. "The Pot" is an outstanding song. Just admit that it's the high-pitched vocals at the start that cause you to cringe. What's the matter, did Maynard make you blush?
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

children wrote:
Tool Sucks wrote:
hellboy wrote:None of the Tool albums are shining examples of great production in my opinion, so saying 10k Days is terrible (which is isn't, nor is it amazing) seems like a waste of time.

Barresi intentionally kept 10k loud. He wanted to try to re-capture that dynamic that was present on Undertow. He specifically said he wanted the guitar out in front a bit more. That was why they didn't want Ludwig to fuck around with the sound much during mastering. The problem with 10k isn't the production. The album lacks any kind of flow and The Pot is a fucking mess of a song. Beyond that 10K is a solid album.
The flow just takes some getting used to. Why not just say that the track list should have been rearranged, or rather, specifically, "Wings for Marie/10,000 Days" should have been placed differently, or maybe even written to be more "accessible" or "less boring" or "not so depressing" huh? That is the real issue that people have with this album, isn't it?

"The Pot" actually brings balance to the album and without it there would truly be no flow, so in my opinion you are full of shit. Sure, it's the worst song on the album, but that isn't saying much; it's a fucking TOOL album. "The Pot" is an outstanding song. Just admit that it's the high-pitched vocals at the start that cause you to cringe. What's the matter, did Maynard make you blush?
^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What a fucking idiot!

Where did this guy come from? Absolutely delusional. Look at how quickly he jumps all over my shit for saying The Pot is a shitty song. Apparently he missed the part where I said 10,000 Days is a solid album????

News flash
Your Favorite band is no longer relevant. Your Favorite band is full of shit. Your Favorite band has become little more than a lazy, unprofessional, amateur hour act that has long since past it's prime. Fuck you and your Favorite band.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Kittaan wrote:
Actually Crow said he's a guitarist/vocalist, so that's not accurate.

That being said, Crow is mistaken IMO:

The musicianship on 10KD is quite high, and a natural progression from Lateralus. Most especially the drumming, but everyone shines.
The writing was not as cohesive and the lyrics, while interesting, were nowhere as deep - but Lateralus was a concept album while 10KD was not.
MJK's vocal ability is eroding, but he's adjusting his technique accordingly.

The bar was set very high with previous material, specifically Lateralus. This clearly affects perception and comparisons viewed through that lens are not really valid given the above observations.
I'm not sure him saying he does those things makes him a musician; as a musician, I can tell you that every Tool album is difficult to play and 10k days is some of the hardest stuff I've tried to cover of their work. I agree that the lyrics weren't as open to interpretation as I've come to expect from Maynard on 10k days--that's the biggest gripe I have on the whole album. Vicarious was angry but wasn't as playfully done as some of his early stuff. Jambi I like. 10k days is specific. The pot is kind of lame. Rosetta is cool but I think could have been more profound. Intension was alright... Right in two alright.. the lyrics are the weakest part. I do agree that MayJay catered his style nicely to his decrease in lung capacity and range. The dude has an incredible ear for melody progression.

Lateralus, as it's been said here, was the 'Dark Side of the Moon' of Tool's catalogue. Here's to hoping that the next release is 'The Wall'.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Mog, of course 10,000 Days is a solid album; it would be inaccurate to say otherwise. My post was about the flow of the album in general and "The Pot" specifically, in response to your post...

If TOOL are no longer relevant, then why are we all gathered here on this forum arguing about them? You seem so desperate to convince everyone to stop caring about TOOL when it is OBVIOUSLY APPARENT that we all care, including you. You're just pissed off that TOOL didn't release more material in their "so-called" prime. TOOL is getting better with age, instrumentally anyway. Sure, Maynard's vocals are deteriorating, but you shouldn't focus so much on the negative, man; i can tell it's really bringing you down. I can sense your tension over the fucking internet.

TOOL are on the verge of recording another album; something that doesn't happen very often. I, for one, am extremely curious as to what this album will sound like because 10,000 Days was NOT a disappointment for me, and i want to see the next step in their evolution...
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

im with children ^^^ the group TOOL consists of 4 artists....and what they have going on is fucking outstanding.....some people get it ... some people don't......their music gets into me..it reaches me on a creative/inspiring level.....I get giddy when I hear new tool....im not ashamed...sure I like to eat mushrooms and smoke weed.....even tried dmt....and I do say that in that realm..TOOL takes the cake....

so go ahead..complain, diss , whine, but tell me something I haven't heard you say on every other topic page.
go taff!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Tool Sucks wrote:
Not high at all. Those albums sound great, but they're not perfect.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

To me the sound of 10k days is more reflective of their live sound---LOUD AS FUCK. I have little doubt this is why they went the direction they did.
Thanks. I was looking for a reason to completely ignore you. You've now given me one.

Fucking moron.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

We had a fairly big storm here yesterday. As the thunder was rumbling, I was inspired to write shitty lyrics.

Needs to be more monkeys, thunder, and repetitive, meaningless lyrics on the next album.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

average musicianship? stfu. get real. post something you've made that is above average if you're so keen on breaking down quality music.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

When I last saw Tool live they weren't at all that loud, I was disappointed.

Oh well, it was a pretty good mix, can't have it all.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:When I last saw Tool live they weren't at all that loud, I was disappointed.

Oh well, it was a pretty good mix, can't have it all.
That would depend on where they played. SEC? That place fucking blows.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Allphones, it was pretty crisp just wasn't LOUD

Or maybe I'm going deaf.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

budsyralli wrote:im with children ^^^ the group TOOL consists of 4 artists....and what they have going on is fucking outstanding.....some people get it ... some people don't......their music gets into me..it reaches me on a creative/inspiring level.....I get giddy when I hear new tool....im not ashamed...sure I like to eat mushrooms and smoke weed.....even tried dmt....and I do say that in that realm..TOOL takes the cake....

so go ahead..complain, diss , whine, but tell me something I haven't heard you say on every other topic page.
See, now this is the kind of conversation we should be having on a TOOL forum...

Instead, we get this clusterfuck of egotistical bullshit in place of what should be an online community bursting with positive energy.

We all know that when this album is released, the same whining fuckers will continue to bitch and complain about the same old shit, regardless of the album quality.

No wonder TOOL hates their fucking fans...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

children wrote:
budsyralli wrote:im with children ^^^ the group TOOL consists of 4 artists....and what they have going on is fucking outstanding.....some people get it ... some people don't......their music gets into me..it reaches me on a creative/inspiring level.....I get giddy when I hear new tool....im not ashamed...sure I like to eat mushrooms and smoke weed.....even tried dmt....and I do say that in that realm..TOOL takes the cake....

See, now this is the kind of conversation we should be having on a TOOL forum...

Instead, we get this clusterfuck of egotistical bullshit in place of what should be an online community bursting with positive energy.

We all know that when this album is released, the same whining fuckers will continue to bitch and complain about the same old shit, regardless of the album quality.

How is that any wonder? Even TOOL fans hate TOOL fans.

So, let me get this straight: You're ENCOURAGING that drug-fucked mindless masturbation? As long as it's "positive"?

Gotcha.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

The Pot can't be the worst song on the album, because Vicarious is.
And it's entirely because of the lyrics. (note: OPINION)

It was also my first taste of the album. A sour taste. I was pretty deflated from the beginning, and never quite came back up.
Anyone else ever heard just the instrumental?

Intension is a beautiful song, Right in Two is a nice ending, if not a bit overly down. Actually, save Jambi, I feel the overall sound of the album is down. Like depression. And that's fucking depressing.
also, Avatar!
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Well it is an ode to may may's dead mother
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

And you know what, if my opinion of something is more on the negative side? Ill probably still say it. I have conflicting and contrasting feelings on things. Being alive.
My world isn't all butterfly's and butt-fucking.

As much as it absolutely should be. Now that I think about.

Anywho. Don't like it? Awesome. Wanna argue about it? You know what you can do
also, Avatar!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

The Boss wrote:
children wrote:

How is that any wonder? Even TOOL fans hate TOOL fans.

So, let me get this straight: You're ENCOURAGING that drug-fucked mindless masturbation? As long as it's "positive"?

Gotcha.
Drug-fucked? Mindless? Masturbation? What are you talking about?

There is nothing mindless about tripping out on a good dose of magic mushrooms and smoking a little pot; especially if you're listening to TOOL while doing it. To me, that sounds like one of the most positive activities a person can partake in.

Now, on the other hand, getting shitfaced drunk on a regular basis is, IN FACT, drug-fucked mindless masturbation, you fucking hypocrite...
Last edited by children on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.