Songs that are linked to memories . . .

Music in all its forms and styles
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Music is an integral part of life for many people. I'm curious as to which songs remind people of things.

A bit vague, OK, but give me a chance:

For example, I'm listening to "V O G", by ASCEND right now. This song is intrinsically linked, for me, to a train ride I went on in Taiwan to go to Hualien, Taroko National Park. The song is about massive monsters, and upon exploring the canyons in Taroko, it made such a huge impact. I listened to it while we were in the gorge, and after it. It just seemed fitting. It's hard to listen to this song now without feeling so frighteningly small. Fuck, I even wrote a poem about how tiny I felt within these creases of mountains.

Does anyone else have songs or bands that are linked with vivid memories or feelings? I'm not talking about "Oh, dude, used to crush beers while listening to NIRVANA back in the day - best times LOL" - I'm talking about something a little deeper.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

As lame as this sounds, and I'm only saying this cause I'm extremely drunk, but Pretty Hate Machine by NIN is by far the album that makes me feel the most. Real or not, I got what Trent was saying.

No lyric will ever affect me more than

"I guess all that I've been hearing
Must be true
I guess I'm not
The only boy
For you"

I don't think NIN is better than TOOL, but NIN will always mean more to me than TOOL.
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^I'm not going to delete that but its way more information about me that I ever wanted to admit publicly.
Hey! Denty!
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

Empty Vessels Make the Loudest Sound - The Mars Volta: I will always associate this song with flying home from our exchange trip to Germany. It was a life-changing trip for me.

Schism - Tool: For me, this represents a sort of awakening and "coming of age," but it was also the song that brought me to meet my closest friend. There are few songs that bring back such strong memories as that one.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Oh man I got sappy drunk last night. Eh I'll leave those posts up.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig said
^I'm not going to delete that but its way more information about me that I ever wanted to admit publicly.

This is a good place. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Often I hear a song and it reminds me of where exactly I heard it the first time.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

too many to name them all, but Aenima and Around the Fur, as albums, will forever link me back to what has proven to be the most important time in my own growth and awareness of what life has was, is and can be (apart from my children, now). 

Jane's addiction: Summertime Rolls always takes me back to the early days in my relationship with my wife... road trips, romancing freely, explicitly high times, days and nights that never ended, etc...

Intension always makes me think about my kids as baby babies

David Bowie: Space Oddity was on when my daughter was born... will never forget that brief few moments of awe

Great thread Crow!
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

This song for me recalls the time

I procured my first 'Mason jar,' if you will

and I did

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Not just a single song but all of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" always bring back the night I first heard that album, after eating 1 or 2 bad tabs of acid at my friends apartment in college with 3 other guys.  I think the album was played on repeat for like most of the night.

Started off the night by playing Jet-Moto on Playstation but soon enough that became way too difficult with all the colors/graphics.  Then moved on to watching numerous episodes of Scooby-Doo and there was this one episode where at one point Scooby was walking around and then just looked at the camera/viewer and for a split second had this absolutely positively sinister look/smirk/smile on his face.  Like he was up to no good and was going to perpetrate some evil on us.  Never forget it, it was the "Miner 49er" episode.  At one point my roommate/buddy bugged out and had to walk home, alone, back to our dorm room on campus.  It was like a 30 minute walk from apartment to our dorm room and like an hour after he left we finally got a phone call (at like 5 in the morning) from him telling us he finally got back and it was the worst/scariest walk of his life and was certain he was being followed.  He ended up taking like a 45 minute shower in the hopes the water would sober him up and just wash the bad acid away. 

Eventually me and the other 2 guys decided to try to brave the walk back to the dorm room so we could check on our buddy and by the time we all got back to the dorm room we all agreed it was a sketchy walk.  Lots of quick head jerks around, thinking we sawe something/someone.  Lots of "did you hear that?"  Just a sketch-ball walk.  Finished out the night/early-early morning in our dorm room with some black lights on and who knows what playing on the tv/stereo.  Then when we were all back to normal, relatively speaking, we went and got breakfast from the dining hall.

Plus on top of all of that you throw in one of our friends roommates (who lived in the apartment and wasn't tripping) who was just doing little things to fuck with us all night long and it was all in all, a pretty bad trip.

But every time I still hear that album, deep in the pit of my stomach I get this weird sense of fear, excitement, nervousness, butterflys,  and I absolutely love it.  Love having an album of music that for over a decade has been able to make me feel all that craziness deep down inside my stomach each time I hear it.
I like to poop naked.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

*presses record*

"Note to self: it helps if you actually put the link in your post.

*end transmission*
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'm sure if I sat down with my iPod I could write a list a mile long of what various songs remind me of, but the one that sticks out to me right now is Paperbag Writer by Radiohead. That will forever be burned into my brain and take me back to the first time I visited NYC, walking around and riding trains in the snow. Mmmmmmmm. Want to go there right now.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The album Undertow (in particular Intolerance) reminds me of going out to a big empty field (with millions of stars in the sky and all kinds of animals making noise in the distance) with some friends and smoking a few joints.  That field is a neighborhood now.  It'll always be that field to me.

That is actually how I got into Tool.  After hearing Undertow a few times, one night it just jumped up and grabbed me.  My first year as a Tool fan went something like this:

Heard Undertow, then Opiate, then Aenima.

Salival released

Lateralus released

It was good stuff, I thought I'd be getting new stuff from them pretty often.  I was young and naive.
Hey! Denty!
glorybox
Maynard Believer

Post by glorybox »

"Something I Can Never Have" by NIN is the first song I shared with my husband.  I'm still so raw... I listen to this and it brings me right back, ripping and dragging my lifeless corpse behind it.  Grey would be the color if I had a heart...