Fourtheye Listeners Club

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I've been thinking for a while now about running a Listeners Club, where each week a different Fourtheye member chooses an album, and we all take a listen an post our thoughts on it.  Any one interested in taking part in something like this?

EDIT: The Official List from Page 5 of this thread:

Pete - GRAVITY X - TRUCKFIGHTERS
hellboy - LARD: Pure Chewing Satisfaction
UndKeineEier - Nothing's Matter - MTvoid
TOOL
markuspoop
Tyson
budsyralli
crow
cheese
Ravenpig
kittaan
badkittygotgirl
James
gamebounty
basejumper
mog
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
I've been thinking for a while now about running a Listeners Club, where each week a different Fourtheye member chooses an album, and we all take a listen an post our thoughts on it.  Any one interested in taking part in something like this?

Promote thoughtful discussion and discover new music?

Yep, I'm in.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

I think this would be great!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Boo

This sounds interesting. I'm down.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Count me out.

As in I'd be out of my mind if I didn't like this idea. How are you going to decide the order people pick in?
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said
Count me out.

As in I'd be out of my mind if I didn't like this idea. How are you going to decide the order people pick in?

It'll be kinda like the Price Is Right; everybody places a bid and the order is highest to lowest.  Easy peasy.  The bids have to be backed by money though.  You can"t bid 1,000,000,000 unless you can actually afford it.
Don't mow your lawn
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Good idea, but, I am personally not comfortable listening to an entire album without paying for it.  A song or two, sure.  Or something on Bandcamp where you can listen first.

I love the idea though and will take part in a limited manner.

We should do a book club as well, although I am not entirely sure most of you can read at even middle school level.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

mogeffingmog said
Good idea, but, I am personally not comfortable listening to an entire album without paying for it.  A song or two, sure.  Or something on Bandcamp where you can listen first.

We should do a book club as well, although I am not entirely sure most of you can read at even middle school level.

awww, looky... Mog is a genius, reading middle school level books in the 3rd grade... congrats to you for your advanced language recognition skills

Elsewise... I'd be down, presuming I'm not buying every shitty record suggested in order to do so... great idea
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

^ I read right to left, bottom to top.

I probably don't have much to contribute, but I'll be listening.
SteveBobSteve
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

petemasterpete said

mogeffingmog said

awww, looky... Mog is a genius, reading middle school level books in the 3rd grade... congrats to you for your advanced language recognition skills

Elsewise... I'd be down, presuming I'm not buying every shitty record suggested in order to do so... great idea

^ Exactly why a book club would never work.  Could you imagine poor lil petey trying to stumble his way through Borges?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Cheese's "good taste" gets him first dibs, no bids necessary.  Though if he wanted to slip me a twenty I wouldn't complain.
Don't mow your lawn
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

snazzlefrass said
^ I read right to left, bottom to top.

I probably don't have much to contribute, but I'll be listening.

Common now Snazzlerock.  You have better taste in music than most of these Drop Bear fuckers from down under.

^^Waits for it.....
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

'MURICA: MY FLAG, MY FREEDOM
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I like the idea in theory.  I'd like to hear more details, but I'd likely be down.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

One requirement for an albums selection is that it must be available online without the need to pay for it (whether it's online legally or not I'm not so bothered about).  A free stream or site like bandcamp is ideal, but a full album uploaded to Youtube would be fine as well.  Youtube has an advantage that we could also have a listening & chat session via Synchtube.

As far as album selection goes I have a few thoughts, and am very much open to suggestions:

Albums nominated for "Album of the week" need not be new albums.  Forgotten classics are fine as well.  Certainly I encourage us collectively to listen to albums that are unfamiliar to most of us.
I'd like to not get caught up listening to a metal/hard rock album every week.  I propose we rotate the genre ever week in an order something like rock > rap/hiphop > metal > electronic > punk > other.  We could throw in other themes if we wanted.
My current idea is that each week we advertise the next albums theme, and then people nominate albums to me (perhaps privately).  I then randomly choose an album for the week.
Alternatively we put the nominations into a poll and just take the most popular choice.  Poll could specifically name the album, or the options could be "grunge album from the 90s", "psych rock album from 70s" type descriptions.
Or, we just award the choice of the next album to the person who makes the most insightful comment about the current album of the week.

Other suggestions welcome.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Stupid idea as music is so subjective and most people wouldn't be open to listening to music outside their genre.

It'll be all post metal, doom and jazz bands, yeck.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy1975 said
"psych rock album from 70s"

Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said
Stupid idea as music is so subjective and most people wouldn't be open to listening to music outside their genre.

I don't imagine people who don't want to listen to music outside of their genre would bother taking part.  Luckily I suspect that is the minority of Fourtheye readers.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

mogeffingmog said

petemasterpete said

mogeffingmog said

^ Exactly why a book club would never work.  Could you imagine poor lil petey trying to stumble his way through Borges?

I've just completed the Beginner Books* series of Dr. Seuss books... respect, son

*Written specifically for emergent readers, Beginner Books combine an exacting blend of words and pictures that encourage children to read – all by themselves
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

mogeffingmog said

petemasterpete said

mogeffingmog said

The translations of Borges' work have been some of the most concise and easy-to-read that I've yet to see. I guess some of his concepts were a little "out-there", but there's not much in his work I'd accuse anyone of having to "stumble" through. His accessibility and imagination is what has made him so widely-acclaimed.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy1975 said

Tyson said

I don't imagine people who don't want to listen to music outside of their genre would bother taking part.  Luckily I suspect that is the minority of Fourtheye readers.

Just as the 2012 readers polls and All time readers polls suggested?

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said

First let me say thank you to Und for your kind words.

I, too, am down with this idea.  

The most important thing to do is look at HB's quote.  

Keep it that simple

-one member, one week, one choice, we all listen and comment-

and it'll be great.  

Clog it up with bullshit and it'll just become another internet argument.  
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said 

Are you really confusing the collective results of a poll with the tastes of individuals?

cheeseballs said 
-one member, one week, one choice, we all listen and comment-

I'm pretty much down with that.  I have a habit of making things overly complex.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said

hellboy1975 said

Tyson said

I can happily listen once or twice to a shitty rap album that someone recommends without having to buy it or add it to a favourites list or a poll.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Shitty rap album, that's the attitude!