Only One Tool Song

The Main Event
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Only One Tool Song

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Maybe this has been discussed in a different manner, but fuck it....

If you could go see Tool live and they were to ONLY play ONE song of your choice, then leave the stage. What song would you want to hear live??

and please no trolling... if you think its a dumb topic then please just dont post.

My song choice would have to be.... Eulogy
joeypants
Goderator

Re: Only One Tool Song

Post by joeypants »

A new one that's one hour and forty-five minutes long.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

I second the movement for Eulogy
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Jimmy with the Intermission intro....

But I would also take a 20 minute cover of just about any song they wanted to destroy ala No Quarter. :D
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

D/R/T - it's one fucking song I can never understand why people argue the point. Each song (part) leads perfectly into the next. They should have just the named it and slapped p1, p2 and p3 on it a la Wings, which would be my second choice, followed by Third Eye.
The most intelligent person on this forum
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

M0G wrote:D/R/T - it's one fucking song I can never understand why people argue the point. Each song (part) leads perfectly into the next. They should have just the named it and slapped p1, p2 and p3 on it a la Wings, which would be my second choice, followed by Third Eye.
i agree with D/R/T that would be a close second for me.... and i agree the disposition flows perfectly into reflection, but the transition from reflection to triad is non existent... its a definitive break in music to my ears

EDIT: i shouldnt say non existant, but its not a great flow, the two songs are so different musically that it doesnt transition as if it were 1 song. the fade in/out between tracks helps blend them together but its still separate to me
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
M0G wrote:D/R/T - it's one fucking song I can never understand why people argue the point. Each song (part) leads perfectly into the next. They should have just the named it and slapped p1, p2 and p3 on it a la Wings, which would be my second choice, followed by Third Eye.
i agree with D/R/T that would be a close second for me.... and i agree the disposition flows perfectly into reflection, but the transition from reflection to triad is non existent... its a definitive break in music to my ears

EDIT: i shouldnt say non existant, but its not a great flow, the two songs are so different musically that it doesnt transition as if it were 1 song. the fade in/out between tracks helps blend them together but its still separate to me
It's there, go to Reflection at 10:45 thru the first 15 seconds of Triad, absolutely one piece of music, just a more abrupt transition. Reason they played this song live during the Lateralus era at the end of the shows together as one piece, because they are one piece. Danny has mentioned it numerous times. Shame you never got to experience them live during the Lateralus era. Completely different band.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

M0G wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:

It's there, go to Reflection at 10:45 thru the first 15 seconds of Triad, absolutely one piece of music, just a more abrupt transition. Reason they played this song live during the Lateralus era at the end of the shows together as one piece, because they are one piece. Danny has mentioned it numerous times. Shame you never got to experience them live during the Lateralus era. Completely different band.
im not denying that it was composed as ONE piece of music, just making a statement about the transitions. I listened to that part and it honestly sounds like they used the "fade in/out" feature to blend them together. Just my opinion.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

The Grudge
I like to poop naked.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

xZ1mM3r wrote: im not denying that it was composed as ONE piece of music, just making a statement about the transitions. I listened to that part and it honestly sounds like they used the "fade in/out" feature to blend them together. Just my opinion.
Listen on a really good set of headphones. Or watch it on the Youtubez. Becomes even more clear live. The timing of the transition is fairly similar to the timing in Wings from p1 to p2. It just doesn't feel quite as abrupt because p2 starts off much softer, and as such, flows easier on the ear. Both songs have what feel like movements, a classical nod, not in structure certainly but in concept. In both instances they would have been better served just giving the pieces of music one name, regardless of song length. Some part of the brain processes that easier. I think they fucked up by separating Intension and Right in Two as well. They flow into each other and they sound like one song. I also think if the thematic content being explored in Intension continued in more depth in Right in Two it would have made for a better song. I bust on Maynard but Intension is thematically engaging. I enjoy the lyrics. Simple but effective. Right in Two goes off in a different direction lyrically/thematically while the music in Right in Two IS an extension of what was being explored in Intension. It is part of the disconnect I feel too often in 10,000 Days. Something that I never found in Lateralus, Aenima or Undertow.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

(-) Ions
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

M0G wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:

Yup, this. D/R/T is my vote.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'll retract my smart ass vote to say D/R/T.

Also regarding the "is it one track" thing, you're both kind of correct. They're absolutely "one song" just split up into three tracks/titles because... well, that's what prog geeks do. And yes, they do fade in/out of them in the studio they're not recorded all at once. That would be insane and they'd probably STILL be recording it if that were the case. Doesn't mean it's not one solid piece of music though. Also the back tracklisting art implies it's one piece as well.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ 100% agreed. It's a given AFAIC.

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Kittaan wrote:^ 100% agreed. It's a given AFAIC.

no one ever denied that it was one piece of music
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Ah. Your first post sounded like it. Just re-read the second one.

Anyway, yeah. Pound for pound, that's the finest piece of music they've ever written.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Easy, a cover of Highway to the danger zone, with an extended intro and middle.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Not Tyson wrote:Easy, a cover of Highway to the danger zone, with an extended intro and middle.
Best answer ever.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

xZ1mM3r wrote:but fuck it....
say it out loud....
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Buttfuckit- Upper Intestinal version
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:Easy, a cover of Highway to the danger zone, with an extended intro and middle.
Best answer ever.
I may have to change my answer to this.
I like to poop naked.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Kittaan wrote:But I would also take a 20 minute cover of just about any song they wanted to destroy ala No Quarter.
Hey! Tyson's getting all the glory, but I mentioned the cover first... just sayin'

markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Highway to the Danger Zone > No Quarter
I like to poop naked.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »