Best Headphones (Recommendations wanted)

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Best Headphones (Recommendations wanted)

Post by The Boss »

Need help getting some headphones. I've been looking at a pair of the Shure SRH440 http://www.headphone.com/selection-guid ... srh440.php, but apparently they're not too great if you have a small head.

I need something that'll do the job for everything.

Advice?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: Best Headphones under AU$150 . . .

Post by not tyson »

Since when do you have a small head? ;)
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Jesus Christ, dude, thanks!
MAGNUS
My pain is just an excuse

Post by MAGNUS »

Check out head-fi.org
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

This is what you want. Best headphones you will find under $200, as good as many cans far more expensive. Professional quality used by many musicians, producers and DJ's for mixing, monitoring, etc etc. Make sure to burn them in when you get them.

BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

I've been looking for a good pair of Bluetooth noise canceling headphones. Something i can wear while mowing the lawn or doing yard work. Fumbling with a chord is annoying, and i like the option of controlling the volume and skipping songs. I've been looking at these but damn that price.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Stay away from Bluetooth anything for music. The bandwidth is not sufficient, and it's not designed for it. You will not be happy. And the price is ridiculous at $250 even if it worked.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Any kind of wireless headphone is a waste of time if fidelity is your thing.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Asshole wrote:This is what you want. Best headphones you will find under $200, as good as many cans far more expensive. Professional quality used by many musicians, producers and DJ's for mixing, monitoring, etc etc. Make sure to burn them in when you get them.

Just looked up "burning in" because I'm a noob.

That's fucking weird.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Re: Headphones Required

Post by BlindnCynical »

Looking for a good pair of headphones, got any recommendations? i will mostly be using them for running/working in the yard, but also for just lounging around. Maybe this question needs a different thread? i dont want to derail this one.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Best Headphones (Recommendations wanted)

Post by Kittaan »

@ Umadbrah? - Moved you here. Take a look at what others already posted and hopefully there will be more feedback. The ones Mog posted are great, I've used them. There are a ton of options, and your best bet would be to A-B them on your own head at a store.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Umadbrah? wrote:Looking for a good pair of headphones, got any recommendations? i will mostly be using them for running/working in the yard, but also for just lounging around. Maybe this question needs a different thread? i dont want to derail this one.
This is what you want man. Audio-Technica ATH-M50...comes in straight cable and coiled. Amazon has the straight cable for $119 at the moment. I promise you these headphones are better than just about anything you will find even in price ranges hundreds of dollars higher. I am a headphone nut and I have bought many pairs and done a shit ton of research and these are the ones I have settled into and will probably never replace. Do not waste your money on more expensive cans. At the same time you really do not want to go with a set under $100 bucks. The difference becomes dramatically noticeable very quickly. Keep in mind any good set of headphones you buy need time to burn in. In other words, they won't sound as amazing as they ultimately will until after the burn in process, which can take quite awhile. You can speed the process up, it is really up to you. Burn in can take anywhere from 30 hours to 100 hours, just depends on the cans.

Hope that helps.

The most intelligent person on this forum
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Thanks for the post, I will check these out. I cant imagine working outside or running in these tho. I'm probably goign to have to bite the bullet and get two pair. One for dedicated listning and one that is in ear for running. May even go bluetooth for that so i dont have to deal with a cord.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Umadbrah? wrote:Thanks for the post, I will check these out. I cant imagine working outside or running in these tho. I'm probably goign to have to bite the bullet and get two pair. One for dedicated listning and one that is in ear for running. May even go bluetooth for that so i dont have to deal with a cord.
The cord is long as fuck and the headphones are fairly big (but comfortable) so yeah running is out of the question. http://www.head-fi.org/ is a good place to check out reviews and get recommendations. Happy listening.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Fidelity suffers with Bluetooth due to limited bandwidth. I would avoid it for music. But do the research and decide for yourself.
MAGNUS
My pain is just an excuse

Post by MAGNUS »

The ATH-M50's are available refurbished on BuyDig for $75.

http://9to5toys.com/2014/04/01/headphon ... 5-reg-250/
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

Aww man impulse buy... Coiled cord even.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

My headphones came in yesterday, havent had much time to spend with them but ill compile a review sometime this weekend. Initial thoughts are they look great, the chord is long but i was expecting that (i couldnt imagine having the straight cord.), feel like a really solid pair of "cans" (look im already an audiophile). Only song i have listened to was No Quarter - Tool, i hit play random song on my phone and thats what popped up :P, It sounded great. These are refurbished so im not sure if i still need to "burn in" these or not... is there a way to tell?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Umadbrah? wrote:My headphones came in yesterday, havent had much time to spend with them but ill compile a review sometime this weekend. Initial thoughts are they look great, the chord is long but i was expecting that (i couldnt imagine having the straight cord.), feel like a really solid pair of "cans" (look im already an audiophile). Only song i have listened to was No Quarter - Tool, i hit play random song on my phone and thats what popped up :P, It sounded great. These are refurbished so im not sure if i still need to "burn in" these or not... is there a way to tell?
Tricky to tell because you don't know what parts were replaced. That is why I don't go with refurbs. Not knocking the purchase at all. I am just not comfortable not knowing exactly what was replaced. Bottom line, if you enjoy them that is all that matters. In terms of burn in specifically, only time will tell since they are not brand new. If they sound better and better the more you listen to them, then most likely they haven't been burned in.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

M0G wrote:
Umadbrah? wrote:My headphones came in yesterday, havent had much time to spend with them but ill compile a review sometime this weekend. Initial thoughts are they look great, the chord is long but i was expecting that (i couldnt imagine having the straight cord.), feel like a really solid pair of "cans" (look im already an audiophile). Only song i have listened to was No Quarter - Tool, i hit play random song on my phone and thats what popped up :P, It sounded great. These are refurbished so im not sure if i still need to "burn in" these or not... is there a way to tell?
Tricky to tell because you don't know what parts were replaced. That is why I don't go with refurbs. Not knocking the purchase at all. I am just not comfortable not knowing exactly what was replaced. Bottom line, if you enjoy them that is all that matters. In terms of burn in specifically, only time will tell since they are not brand new. If they sound better and better the more you listen to them, then most likely they haven't been burned in.
Yea i figured that was the case, I thought the same thing but since they were only $70 and this is really just for casual use i figured NBD. It did come in retail packaging and looks 100% new. More to come.
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

Burning in eh? Never heard of it until now. Read just one FAQ from that Head-Fi website and the idea seems controversial at best.
Not being a true audiophile, but being a scientist I would have to say that the idea makes logical sense. Could I appreciate the difference? Maybe yes, maybe no...

Maybe there is some better information out there on the subject. Got any good sites for that?

I would expect audiophiles to have "scientifically" researched this idea already.

Pink noise, sine wave sweeps, static... any tracks out there that rotate sound sources to touch all the "burn in bases"?
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

bigboy55693 wrote:Burning in eh? Never heard of it until now. Read just one FAQ from that Head-Fi website and the idea seems controversial at best.
Not being a true audiophile, but being a scientist I would have to say that the idea makes logical sense. Could I appreciate the difference? Maybe yes, maybe no...

Maybe there is some better information out there on the subject. Got any good sites for that?

I would expect audiophiles to have "scientifically" researched this idea already.

Pink noise, sine wave sweeps, static... any tracks out there that rotate sound sources to touch all the "burn in bases"?
Yes and No. The idea of burn in is to get the headphone to it's ideal state. Like breaking in a new glove so to speak. It is absolutely a controversial subject amongst audiophiles. In my personal experience, I absolutely can hear a difference after 30 hours or so, depending on the quality of the headphone. For a cheap set you will never tell the difference. I am not sure if any significant scientific tests have ever been done on the topic. Again to me it makes logical sense. The headphones settle in, the inner components loosen up and they reach a peak performance level. I have experienced this phenomenon. Some of it depends on the listener's ear. Not every person will notice a difference. I am in the Burn in camp. I HAVE heard the difference and amongst the audiophile community more people lean to the Burn in, or break in side of the debate.
Last edited by M0G on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

^ sounds like hocus-pocus to me.
Professor of Lesbian Science
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The logic behind it seems sound. The question is would most people notice?