The Main Event
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

toolphishdhs said
is it? this is a thread discussing GENRE.  by saying that 10k days is a blues album is factually incorrect. 

Actually, the thread title was created by HB when he moved it out of the other thread. I made the comment that Maynard had described 10kD as their "blues record" and children and I started talking about how, if MJK described it as such, how might we describe the other albums?

And of course that got taken far too literally and trashed without a second thought as to what we were actually trying to discuss (which I have since clarified, but seems to be willingly ignored.)

Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

phox_ said
A chicken lays eggs.  The thought of eggs tasting like chicken puts a bad taste in my mouth.

so the thought of Tool using elements of a genre that is responsible for the birth of music and the influence of musicians and artists disgusts you?
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

badkittygothgirl said

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

children said

phox_ said
A chicken lays eggs.  The thought of eggs tasting like chicken puts a bad taste in my mouth.

so the thought of Tool using elements of a genre that is responsible for the birth of music and the influence of musicians and artists disgusts you?

You're hopeless.

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

God damn it. Why must every thread turn into an argument. Can't we all just get along?

Fuck.

I can sum it all up into this: Someone has an opinion. Others do not understand or agree with that opinion. Fucking mint.

Maynard said it was their blues album. As with any of their statements, no one seems to understand this. Therefore, we argue about he meanings of that statement. Nothing is gained.

I assume most people who see he title of the thread might think it's about the old discussion about exactly what genre Tool fits under. To that, I've come to a conclusion: Who cares? I don't. I like their music. Moving on.

Have a fantastic day.

SteveBobSteve
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Let's stick to the topic at hand please, there's a perfectly good bickering thread for those that need it.

Personally I'm not sure what the problem is, I don't think children is trying to suggest it's a blues album, more that it has themes and elements from that style.  You guys should focus more on the discussion, and less on the trolling children circle jerk.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

snazzlefrass said

I assume most people who see he title of the thread might think it's about the old discussion about exactly what genre Tool fits under. To that, I've come to a conclusion: Who cares? I don't. I like their music. Moving on.

Well yeah, I'm in the same basket. I don't really care about what their music is actually labelled. I just thought it was fun to spitball that if MJK thought 10kD was blues, how might he describe the other albums.

But it seems to have gone over most people heads. Awesome how an interesting topic finally emerged from the mess that was the Tonedeaf thread, only for it to be shat upon almost immediately. Great discussion forum guys.

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

toolphishdhs said  
chancellor Tool is far far far far greater than D'Amour Tool 

Disagree, exhibit A if it pleases the courts

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Gwarden said

snazzlefrass said

Well yeah, I'm in the same basket. I don't really care about what their music is actually labelled. I just thought it was fun to spitball that if MJK thought 10kD was blues, how might he describe the other albums.

But it seems to have gone over most people heads. Awesome how an interesting topic finally emerged from the mess that was the Tonedeaf thread, only for it to be shat upon almost immediately. Great discussion forum guys.

It happens. At least you're trying.

"I did my best! I did my fucking best!!"

SteveBobSteve
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

hellboy1975 said
Let's stick to the topic at hand please, there's a perfectly good bickering thread for those that need it.

Personally I'm not sure what the problem is, I don't think children is trying to suggest it's a blues album, more that it has themes and elements from that style.  You guys should focus more on the discussion, and less on the trolling children circle jerk.

There's several sentences where children claims 10,000 is a blues album, as if he knows it's fact.  So I offered help in finding out why that was incorrect, and then he basically showed he didn't care.  I gave up.  I'm not trying to troll him.

I don't have a problem with people discussing the themes and elements in a song, but I do have a problem when people claim "facts" that aren't true.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

phox_ said 
There's several sentences where children claims 10,000 is a blues album, as if he knows it's fact.  So I offered help in finding out why that was incorrect, and then he basically showed he didn't care.  I gave up.  I'm not trying to troll him.

I don't have a problem with people discussing the themes and elements in a song, but I do have a problem when people claim "facts" that aren't true.

That's not how I read it at all.  Not sure why people presume anything someone posts on a forum is fact rather than opinion.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

phox_ said

hellboy1975 said

bwhahaha!  Children called 10,000 Days a blues album?  Your kidding me right?  You can't be serious?
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

mogeffingmog said

phox_ said

hellboy1975 said

bwhahaha!  Children called 10,000 Days a blues album?  Your kidding me right?  You can't be serious?

No, Maynard called it that. Learn to read and chill the fuck out.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Gaynerd also called Lateralus their Black album

Grain of salt, etc
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

It's really not that hard to understand.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Gwarden said

mogeffingmog said

phox_ said

hellboy1975 said

No, Maynard called it that. Learn to read and chill the fuck out.

John Lee Hooker is turning over in his grave right now.  Wow some of you fucks are gullible.  As for "chilling" out, I couldn't be calmer.  Eating a wonderful dinner reading some highly entertaining and utterly ridiculous shit.  This is better than christmas.

THIS is the BLUES.  Silly kids.

Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Still going over your head. You're looking at it on the most obvious level which I've already explained is NOT WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT...Jesus wept.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

children said

Tyson said
Opiate - Art rock

Undertow - Art rock

Aenima - Art rock

Lateralus - Art rock

10,000 Days - Art rock

No one is saying that Tool is anything but Art Rock/Art Metal. We're talking about the evolution from album to album and the musical structures that each one contains. 10,000 Days isn't blues, but it has elements of blues in it.

see, that's me, CHILDREN, saying exactly the opposite of what i'm being accused of
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

But it doesn't have elements of blues in it.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Tyson said
But it doesn't have elements of blues in it.

According to Maynard it does. Anyway, i was showing those bozos that i never said 10,000 Days is a blues album. The "blues" influence is slight and is mostly part of the atmosphere in the record.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

It was Danny who said it was their blues record. It obviously doesn't mean it belongs in the genre of blues, I think all it meant was is that its kind of a down, sad album.

But I'd say it is a stretch to say there's elements of actual blues in any songs on it.
Hey! Denty!
opiate250
Maynard Believer

Post by opiate250 »

Wow.

I thought this thread had a pretty simple concept, but it turns out you've all become retarded. 

This forum used to be fun.  What the fuck  happened?
opiate250
Maynard Believer

Post by opiate250 »

Anyways, heres my take.

Opiate - Has an indy punkish sort of vibe to it

Undertow - Rock.  Maybe I'd call it grunge, but only because of the year it came out =)

Ænima - Metal

Lateralus - Some kind of barefoot hippy drum circle music.

10,000 days - Blues/Emo.

Before you have a chance to argue with your holier than thou, self righteous opinions, make sure you go fuck yourself.  I'm just playing a game.  I know this is going to be hard for most of you to understand, but your thoughts and opinions on what I just posted don't mean shit and never will.  Grow the fuck up... eat shit...  kill yourself... whatever, pick one.....  no skin of my nuts either way.