Maynard speaks to Triple J

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Maynard and Mat Mitchell had a chat to The Doctor on Triple J today. The 10 minute interview covers a range of A Perfect Circle and Puscifer issues, Maynard's autobiography and even has a sneaky Tool question thrown in (hat's off the The Doc for that one). Reveals nothing new, however it is quite funny in parts and Matt and Maynard are both in fine spirits.

Update: While re-listening to the interview on the way home I realised it was actually Mat Mitchell, not Matt McJunkins! I like the photo of the double-t'd Matt, so that will stay for now!

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yea I found that last part pretty amusing. Fun interview even there wasn't anything new for any band.

As I said in the closed thread, I found it funny that even McJunkins seems like he didn't like Bohemian Rhapsody.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said
Yea I found that last part pretty amusing. Fun interview even there wasn't anything new for any band.

As I said in the closed thread, I found it funny that even McJunkins seems like he didn't like Bohemian Rhapsody.

What was it?  I don't feel like listening to this.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The interviewer found a way to ask about Tool without asking about Tool. May Jay took it in a good natured way.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I listened to it.  Not bad.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Apparently Matt paints his fingernails.
Don't mow your lawn
snaggle
Maynard Believer

Post by snaggle »

Man Puscifer is lucky the music stands up live (is in fact about a billion times better live) because with the fucking militant atmosphere they had created at the Enmore last night, ppl were resenting them HARD.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

That was Mat Mitchell, not Matt McJunkins.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

junior said

Hey Junior.  Nice to see you posting.  For some reason your post went to moderation?  Fixed it.

So, are you saying Hellboy got it wrong on which Matt did the interview with Maynard, or were you referring to the fingernail painting mentioned above?

@ snaggle - please elaborate on the "fucking militant atmosphere they had created at the Enmore last night"...
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I believe he meant it was Mat Mitchell in the interview.  Which actually makes sense since Mat does a lot of the production and engineering for Puscifer and I imagine doing a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody would be much be a much bigger challenge for the producer/engineer than for the bassist.

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

junior said

Yeah, I heard that on the interview on the drive home.  Will fix it shortly!
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

It was an interesting and surprisingly lighthearted interview, but you definitely get the impression that Tool is the furthest thing from his mind.

Also, didn't realise the man was so close to 50. All that yoga must've paid off because he's still looking spritely for an old curmudgeon.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan said 
Hey Junior.  Nice to see you posting.  For some reason your post went to moderation?  Fixed it.

Probably just caught in the moderator as it's his first post since the new forums.  Even Tool lighting guys need to pass the test!

@ snaggle - please elaborate on the "fucking militant atmosphere they had created at the Enmore last night"...

I too would like to hear this.  All reports I've heard said there weren't any issues with the show.  Maybe he just meant Major Douche was in attendance...
snaggle
Maynard Believer

Post by snaggle »

Dude i was only in line for 10 minutes, and during that time 3 different security guards came by saying no flash photography (which i get and am totally fine with, support it even), no video or photo in general, like with phones. We were told that if we were caught with a camera or caught taking video/photo, we would have our shit confiscated, and we would be ejected "immediately and without question", and could only get what was confiscated once the show was over. Meaning you'd just have to hang around outside the Enmore til the show was done.
I wasn't planning on taking any photos or videos, because, as we all know, the mind can hang onto memories much more vivid than a photo or a shitty 20 second video. But i thought the confiscating PLUS evicting PLUS only getting your shit back once it's over was too much.
Once inside, there were PA announcements saying to treat the show like a movie or an opera, saying don't do anything to interrupt or disrupt the show or you'll be "ejected, immediately and without question".
And the whole thing is reserved seating, so people are sitting to begin with. After 3 or 4 songs Maynard says "Why are you sitting down? Who said you had to sit down?"
It's like "You did!" Fuck, people didn't want to dance or sing or anything. Two band members were on stage before anyone started cheering. They said to treat it like a movie. Do you jump up and dance and sing and cheer at a movie? Nein. People were afraid that doing any of that would be interpreted as being "disruptive".
That was the same for pretty much everyone, we were all in the same situation.
On a personal thing, for the next 2 or 3 songs McJunkins and Carina and Maynard are gesturing at the crowd, trying to get people to stand up, which I hate. I resent bands demanding reaction from me. It's like, ok, we know we can let loose a little now, but i still need to be moved to do that.

Anyway it was weird and confusing and oppressive and shitty until, say, Man Overboard. From there on the crowd was relaxed and the gig really, REALLY took off.
If you see Puscifer in the future, which you should because they're fucking monstrous live, holy shit they're good, but bear in mind that you're allowed dance and sing, also.
snaggle
Maynard Believer

Post by snaggle »

Hellboy, Major Douche did show up. He pronounces his name "Do-shay", which led the retard behind me to call out "It's pronounced 'dooosh', ya fag!" I heard someone nearby say, in reference to the retard, "I don't think he knows that's Maynard in a costume", and i think they were right. Major Douche mentioned "the Tools, and the Full Circles" which led the retard to again correct him (him being a projection on a fucking screen) "It's Perfect Circle, ya cunt, fuck me don't this cunt know nuthin?"
spiral2spiral
Bronco's Fan

Post by spiral2spiral »

For the record, my experience at the Enmore was the polar opposite of Snaggle's.

Everyone around me had an awesome time, the last way I'd describe the atmosphere would be "militant", I spent virtually the entire gig on my feet, as did everyone around me, and noe one was seen to being disruptive. Security was pretty reasonable (everyone taking photo's got a tap on the shoulder and a warning, not "immediate eviction")

But that's me, each to their own, and I can only vouch for the area around me, down the front left corner, so idea what was happening elsewhere..

Incidently, Brisbane was all GA standing, so it's not as if Puscifer are demanding all shows be all seated - Did the Enmore make the call to make this one seated? Anyone know?
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

snaggle said
Hellboy, Major Douche did show up. He pronounces his name "Do-shay", which led the retard behind me to call out "It's pronounced 'dooosh', ya fag!" I heard someone nearby say, in reference to the retard, "I don't think he knows that's Maynard in a costume", and i think they were right. Major Douche mentioned "the Tools, and the Full Circles" which led the retard to again correct him (him being a projection on a fucking screen) "It's Perfect Circle, ya cunt, fuck me don't this cunt know nuthin?"

..A'stralya.

cubanpete
Maynard Believer

Post by cubanpete »

Was at the Brisbane show last Friday. Thought the vibe was pretty good. Sour Grapes was a fantastic opener!
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

Sounds like Maynard might wrap up the TOOL project and then be done with it. I'm kind of hoping this is their last album because his other projects aren't very impressive anymore. Maybe one more APC project would be nice but who knows? This Puscifer shit is out of control. I normally wouldn't judge a band until I've seen them live but their antics in addition to their shitty recordings just don't interest me at all. The only thing of theirs that has sparked my interest in the slightest has been "Potions" and that's because it was related to Trent. I'll check out the interview because I want to hear Maynard in said high spirits but otherwise... don't give a shit about this band.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Snaggle - thanks for the details.  Kinda sucks, but I've had similar experiences at other shows - usually tends to be the venue vs the performer, but you never know.

@ Spiral2spiral - interesting how a slight shift in location (and perhaps attitude?) can make such a difference... 

@ Zwerewolf - totally with you on not giving a shit about this band's RECORDINGS... however, I will most definitely go see Puscifer live again.  These are great musicians and they shine live.  I honestly don't get why Maynard chose to release the tracks (at least most of them I've heard) with the approach he did - I can only assume he digs it - but the material is not well represented by the studio recordings IMO.  If you get a chance to see them live, you owe it to yourself to snag it.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

@kittaan I'll make sure I don't completely write them off until I see them live. I'm not sure I'm going to see them live ever though haha. Too many other bands I'd rather pay for. We'll see though... if the stars align perhaps?
martin
Maynard Believer

Post by martin »

I am not sure how I felt about the gig at the Tivoli last Friday night. Massive hour + long line to get in (security was way over the top and slowed down everything) only to have a metal detector waved around you, then given numerous warnings by different people to not take pictures, videos or even if you pull your phone/camera out that you will be unceremoniously thrown out with your stuff confiscated. After finally getting in, grabbing a beer and heading into the stage area the lights go down and a couple of video screen light up and play a bunch of hmmm type comedy for over an HOUR, yeah that's right we had to watch a movie of Maynard and co. dick around for what seemed like forever. All this time people are starting to get pissed off that they came to watch a gig and instead had to watch a video. Once the show started it built up really well and was really enjoyable, but I really don't think the fucking around before it was worth all the hassle. Doubt I will see Puscifer again.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Stop speaking to Triple J, Maynard.

All they have ever done is promote Aussie shite like Powderfinger, Regurgitator and Grinspoon.

Oh...and The Superjesus. I remember a time when they were really hot for The Superjesus.

Which is kind of confusing on account of....well.......it's The Superjesus!!

Anyway, did he say when the new Tool album would be out?

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Off-topic: The Superjesus performed a reunion show in Adelaide recently and I believe will be playing some more.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

HB, you have to delete your own post now!
Hey! Denty!