New Music Thread

Music in all its forms and styles
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Re: New Music Thread

Post by petemasterpete »

sorry H.C., it does nothing for me but make me cringe every time a song gets to the 'insert otherwise unnecessary soulless guitar solo and ruin the song for no good reason here' part of the song ... they're not bad musicians, I just won't be listening

... also not Mogger's fault ... you need to hold yourself accountable for your actions and listening habits
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

^ Why does everyone immediately call anything technical "soulless"? I listen to a massively wide array of music, from the most simplistic to the extremely technical and I am not put off one way or the other. The only time a solo gets on my nerves is when it is out of place. STS is all about technicality and Chris is going nuts all the time, much like Tosin from AAL. Granted Tosin is two or three levels higher in terms of skill and utilizes far more techniques, but that is besides the point. They both write music that calls for technical playing.

It is weird but many Tool fans seem to dislike highly technical rock music, which is baffling considering they have one of the most technically gifted drummers on the planet.

Obviously it is a matter of taste and I am not calling anyone out, just one of those things that leaves me scratching my head.
The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Well, not everything technical is soulless. I've said before I find AAL pretty soulless, and from my memory of Scale The Summit, the same feelings applied.

I love listening to skilled musicians, and love seeing them live even more. However it isn't a requirement for me to enjoy a band.

As to Tool fans disliking technical rock music, I'm in that category, but for me it more comes down to guitar - I find technical guitar somewhat uninteresting. To this extent Adam's work on Tool is almost perfect - it has almost no wank at all. Technical drumming and bass playing I could listen to all day.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:Well, not everything technical is soulless. I've said before I find AAL pretty soulless, and from my memory of Scale The Summit, the same feelings applied.

I love listening to skilled musicians, and love seeing them live even more. However it isn't a requirement for me to enjoy a band.

As to Tool fans disliking technical rock music, I'm in that category, but for me it more comes down to guitar - I find technical guitar somewhat uninteresting. To this extent Adam's work on Tool is almost perfect - it has almost no wank at all. Technical drumming and bass playing I could listen to all day.
That is interesting. What about technical guitar playing turns you off? Does the playing seem too often out in front? Some technical bands have a hard time striking a balance I will give you that.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Getting enough "dirt" in the technical stuff is always my issue. Jimi Hendrix is, and probably always will be, the apex of this for me. He is fucking unreal on a technical level, but still has enough dirtiness and "soul" in there that I feel something as well. It's hard to pinpoint. I guess it's obvious that most super technical guys lean towards being as clean as humanly possible. Those two inclinations kind of go hand in hand.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote:Getting enough "dirt" in the technical stuff is always my issue. Jimi Hendrix is, and probably always will be, the apex of this for me. He is fucking unreal on a technical level, but still has enough dirtiness and "soul" in there that I feel something as well. It's hard to pinpoint. I guess it's obvious that most super technical guys lean towards being as clean as humanly possible. Those two inclinations kind of go hand in hand.
I understand what you are getting at. I don't know for me I like both technical and minimal and everything in between. I do agree that sometimes technical can get too technical...ala Dream Theater

For me it is about balance. It is about what the music calls for. Sometimes that is mind blowing solo virtuoso shit, sometimes it is Adam Jones holding a note in such a way that it is just as powerful as the player shredding away.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Yep. I really warmed up to Tosin on the newest AAL album though. I still feel the same about much of the earlier stuff, but to my ears, they finally truly nailed it with this last album.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

New album from Ben Frost entitled A U R O R A

fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

M0G wrote:Why does everyone immediately call anything technical "soulless"?
not everything, STS just isn't my thing ... I find the guitar playing out of place, in tone, texture and in the mix, in general.

I enjoy all sorts of music, as well. It's all about what speaks to me. I think Tosin is a god of current times and love his playing style. Just last night, I was watching some live Guthrie from 93 or some shit, and it was jaw droppingly inspiring and enjoyable, and he's as technically sound as they come. Put a groove behind him and let him go and it works.

I think Joey hit the nail on the head with his Hendrix example, technically sound and all the soul anyone could aspire to have with a guitar ... now if any of you asshats were to say Hendrix is over-rated, then ... just go kill yourself, except Tyson, who may already be dead having previously mentioned SRV is better
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

petemasterpete wrote:I was watching some live Guthrie from 93 or some shit, and it was jaw droppingly inspiring and enjoyable, and he's as technically sound as they come.
No shit. He's probably my favorite guitarist at the moment.

HB mentioned he was touring OZ this year, never heard any more.

EDIT: ah here it is:

http://guitarnoize.com/guthrie-govan-au ... tour-2014/

I highly recommend seeing him live. Jaw dropping.

Adelaide info: http://www.adelaidefestivalcentre.com.a ... rie-govan/
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It'll be a good show, not sure that I want to drop $55 on it though. We'll see.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:It'll be a good show, not sure that I want to drop $55 on it though. We'll see.
It does seem a bit steep. Last few times I've seen him it's been in the $25-$30 range, US. I guess you're paying a premium because it's his first trip to Oz and it's likely more expensive for him.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

$55 falls into that price bracket of "good value if you're a fan, but just a little bit too much for a casual observer".
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:$55 falls into that price bracket of "good value if you're a fan, but just a little bit too much for a casual observer".
How about this one-time offer (and Helboy only!!): Go to the show. If you didn't think it was worth it, I'll donate $55 to the site.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Kittaan wrote:
hellboy wrote:$55 falls into that price bracket of "good value if you're a fan, but just a little bit too much for a casual observer".
How about this one-time offer (and Helboy only!!): Go to the show. If you didn't think it was worth it, I'll donate $55 to the site.
bullshit ... now I'm definitely not going
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I know anything ending in "core" isn't considered cool these days, but then again neither am I.

I present to you French Deathcore band Deep In Hate, who I think are pretty good. This is their new album The Chronicles of Oblivion:

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Another new track from Failure:

Embedding not working for some reason. Here's the link: http://failureband.bandcamp.com/track/the-focus
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:Another new track from Failure:

The Focus

fixed, mate
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Dilated Peoples - Good As Gone (prod. by DJ Premier & DJ Babu on the cuts)

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:Dilated Peoples - Good As Gone (prod. by DJ Premier & DJ Babu on the cuts)

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
All quality. DP comin with that good shit
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

@M0Gula. Primo still doing it big. 25 years in, the guy is a machine.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

New Austerity Program album Beyond Calculation is out, and it's great (though not unlike their other albums). For some math rocky good times: