February Tool Newsletter released

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Blair has published the February 2013 Tool Newsletter, and it contains an interview with Opiate reissue artist Adi Granov. Here's a snippet:

Q: First off, how did you get involved with the cover artwork for the 21st anniversary release of Opiate?

A: Adam and I met last year, and he was already familiar with my work, so we started talking about collaborating on various things. At some point some artwork for Tool came up and Adam asked me if I'd be interested in doing the art for the Opiate anniversary. I was very happy to do it!

Q: Prior to meeting Adam, were you a fan of Tool's music, and/or their artwork? If so, what were your first impressions of seeing the original cover art of Opiate?

A: I discovered Tool at a pretty significant point in my life, as a war refugee in former Yugoslavia. It was a desperate time, so the music was a significant means of escape. Tool's music really impacted me and I have been a fan ever since.

I've lived with the music for a while before, upon moving to the US, seeing the album art. I don't remember if I connected the meaning immediately, but I do remember the intensity of the image. It was intense and creepy, kind of terrifying. It was a while before I realised that the figure was a sculpture rather than makeup on a model.

Quite an interesting interview, especially where it talks about how he's reworked the original Priest figure from Opiate. Looking forward to the other interviews Blair has promised.

James
Fanboi

Post by James »

I don't know how I feel about him, it's going to be possibly cringe inducing an adventure to see what direction he goes with the Opiate art. His work just strikes me as less quality than a lot of their album artwork, I've seen people who work absolute wonders with similar art to his and he just doesn't come across as well-suited to accompany the darkness of Opiate. But we will see! I hope he changes my mind.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Was hoping for any kind of new info, but alas, not yet.
fulcanelli
Bronco's Fan

Post by fulcanelli »

It sounds like this release will be all about the packaging only. Are the songs being remastered, redone, or is there anything music related at all?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

fulcanelli said
It sounds like this release will be all about the packaging only. Are the songs being remastered, redone, or is there anything music related at all?

Personally I'll be disappointed if there's no musical or video extras.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Me three. Not buying it without that. I'm sure I'll run into someone who has it eventually and I'll check out the artwork there.
Hey! Denty!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

I'm sure people will start posting pics when they get them.
Davvda
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Davvda »

Confused by the fact that I haven't seen anyone ask this question already... Why 21st anniversary? What's special with 21? A 20th anniversary last year I'd understand but this, I don't quite get. Someone enlighten me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Davvda said
Confused by the fact that I haven't seen anyone ask this question already... Why 21st anniversary? What's special with 21? A 20th anniversary last year I'd understand but this, I don't quite get. Someone enlighten me.

I imagine they just didn't have their shit together in time.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

fulcanelli said

A good question indeed.

*cue slow clap*
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
fulcanelli
Bronco's Fan

Post by fulcanelli »

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, .... The Fibonacci sequence. It probably has something to do with that.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

As if Opiate is anything to get excited over anyway....
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Davvda said

It's old enough to drink in America.

Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

UndKeineEier said

Davvda said

It's old enough to drink in America.

Hell, it's a goat balls-gobbling-for-crack, filthy, whore by now.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
lucidcandle
Bronco's Fan

Post by lucidcandle »

i'm guessing (hoping) that the reason so much emphasis has been placed on the artwork is because the interview that was posted was with one of the artists. I do have a question though. usually i completely understand information having to wait to be approved but i've always assumed that it had to be approved by the band. in this case there are interviews with the band members that are waiting to be approved by the bands management. what reason could tool's management possibly have to edit information the band members themselves are giving? i'd welcome any thoughts on this, the only thing i can think of is band members checking to make sure no one else is giving away too much information or anything but this seems not likely, especially when its info on a release a month away. any thoughts?
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

Calfium Jay said
As if Opiate is anything to get excited over anyway....

Are you kidding me? Everyone knows Tool sold out after Opiate.

lucidcandle said
i'm guessing (hoping) that the reason so much emphasis has been placed on the artwork is because the interview that was posted was with one of the artists. I do have a question though. usually i completely understand information having to wait to be approved but i've always assumed that it had to be approved by the band. in this case there are interviews with the band members that are waiting to be approved by the bands management. what reason could tool's management possibly have to edit information the band members themselves are giving? i'd welcome any thoughts on this, the only thing i can think of is band members checking to make sure no one else is giving away too much information or anything but this seems not likely, especially when its info on a release a month away. any thoughts?

The management's job is to maintain the 'esoteric' nature of Tool and keep us limited in knowledge on things Tool. Its part of the band's whole twisted "dont give away enough info for anyone to really know whats going on" philosophy. Consider them the Ministry of Truth.

Artwork might be cool. Its a breath of fresh air at least. Artwork may be the only exciting new thing about this 21 year anniversary nonsense.

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

lucidcandle said

Interesting. Those are my thoughts.

SteveBobSteve
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Tool sold out when they released Lateralus. It was their most commercially successful album but not their best. After all Maynard called it their 'black album."
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

There's a long list of things that TOOL fans would love to see come out of the TOOL camp.  I don't think an Opiate re-release was anywhere on that list.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Your avatar  was basically my initial reaction to the news.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

toolphishdhs said

doors said
Tool sold out when they released Lateralus. It was their most commercially successful album but not their best. After all Maynard called it their 'black album."

lol What?

Yeah, I know. Just ignore it.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Not upset to read of a move away from Alex Grey after a decade, but all the illustrations I see from this guy online seem to be... templated? CGI templates? His characters are super androgynous, and it doesn't strike me as a tactic that's gunning for intentional provocation (i.e. Brian Molko wailing in a pinafore)... moreso just a lack of talent. Bit weird. I really don't know enough about his work though.... see how it goes - sure everyone knows what they're doing, aye.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not quite sure what you're talking about. I did a quick Google Image search and there's very little CGI stuff. I don't think he's the worlds greatest artist by any stretch, but his work seems quite reasonable.

What really counts though is his original stuff. There's plenty of Iron Man and other known characters there, but I'd like to see some of his original work (and can't be bothered Googling it myself).
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

This would be "left field"and pretty damn cool IMO:
This re release will be a 21 year old tool doing their own renditions of newborn tool's songs.
TOOL covering tool.