Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:Cam deserved more money IMO, they were flouting his art on merch and at concerts while they became one of the biggest bands in the world, his creations.

Now we get fucking lame arse Alex Grey hippie shit, thanks Adam.
Yeah, thanks for becoming popular. Asshole.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

While Tool's music obviously drew me to Tool, Cam's art is a massive reason why I appreciate them.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Not Tyson wrote:Cam deserved more money IMO, they were flouting his art on merch and at concerts while they became one of the biggest bands in the world, his creations.

Now we get fucking lame arse Alex Grey hippie shit, thanks Adam.
Fuck Yesssssssssss!

You're my hero.

Getting Alex on board - wtf was he thinking. He's a second rate artist.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Allrightythen - let me try - It's about whether or not their general liability insurance policy (a common policy for businesses) covers what they've specifically been using the art for. The insurance companies involved say no, and want $ for time wasted going to court over it. Tool says yes, and wants $ for time wasted going to court for it. It's ping-pong'd a few times, snowballed, call it what you will.

Basically it seems Tool has had to prove that they used CDL artwork as 'advertising', in which case Cam's claim would be covered by the policy - this points to back when Alan Jones was asking for all that advertising material with his artwork in it a while ago. If Tool can prove that they used the artwork to promote their business as 'advertising', then they should be covered - it comes down to the interpretation of 'advertising'. The policy also covers Tool mouthing off to the merchandise on-sellers about CDL and the damage that caused, so they've essentially had to go out of their way to prove that they've defamed him and misbehaved to such an extent that they should be covered by the policy that they took out to cover themselves. Go figure.

The whole thing comes down to the definitions of the policy and whether or not what they did with the art falls within the boundaries of general liability insurance. There's case law sighted in there that points towards the band (business) coming out ok from it, eventually.

Also their legal representation missed a bunch of deadlines for various submissions to the courts which didn't seem to help.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

inequitude wrote:Also their legal representation missed a bunch of deadlines for various submissions to the courts which didn't seem to help.
Lol. I'm not surprised.
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Before everyone dogpiles again, just know that this kind of shit is very common in huge lawsuits of all kinds. I work peripherally to the field, and ALL the major companies (Apple, Yahoo, Google, Samsung, etc. etc. etc.) have mega high-end firms working for them that slack on highly important deadlines and aspects of cases ALL THE TIME.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I want to say that I don't think anybody is going to actually blame Tool for the legal deadlines being missed, but they probably will.
Don't mow your lawn
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Adam should have lied about the delay. Why tell us everything about the legal issues. It's pointless lol
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

It's just something to stay relevant in the headlines. Gives websites something to report, and us something to talk about for a week. Someone is going to get a bad case of diarrhea next month.

"Tool offers further explanation to why the next album isn't done. Bad Mexican = long bathroom breaks."
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

If they wrote just one song a year, they would be done.

Seemed almost like a threat to the insurance company more than any fan news. Its nice they said something I suppose. I hope that's not all accurate, if they literally only have one song done after 8 years, that's terrible, and my hopes are worse than ever. I did like the quotes on it being more metal sounding, which surprised me. I thought they would go more spacey hypnotic synthesizer style. More of the same waiting game I suppose...

I wonder when this interview was actually given?
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

One thing the band does have going for it is
this whole circus is becoming quite absurd and absurdity
is just the tits.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:Adam should have lied about the delay. Why tell us everything about the legal issues. It's pointless lol
My guess is that Rolling Stone worked out there was a lawsuit still going on, and asked them about it. Tool decided to reply rather than give "no comment".

If they were going to comment, and then discuss the new album what I think they should have down is downplayed the lawsuit element, and actually discuss something tangible. We keep hearing about this "curveball" or the "big thing" from years back - why not throw us a bone on that?

My preference is still for them to say nothing though - no media until the album is in the bag.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

google a minute and you'll find it
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote:If they wrote just one song a year, they would be done.

Seemed almost like a threat to the insurance company more than any fan news. Its nice they said something I suppose. I hope that's not all accurate, if they literally only have one song done after 8 years, that's terrible, and my hopes are worse than ever. I did like the quotes on it being more metal sounding, which surprised me. I thought they would go more spacey hypnotic synthesizer style. More of the same waiting game I suppose...

To be fair, it's probably more like one song in three years or so, if you factor in touring and free time and stuff.

Still appalling.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

The Boss wrote:
Capt. Shipwreck wrote:If they wrote just one song a year, they would be done.

To be fair, it's probably more like one song in three years or so, if you factor in touring and free time and stuff.

Still appalling.
they're really struggling with this release. that sucks man. definitely not the cash grab people are making it out to be. if it were they would release that one 10-15 minute song and charge $100 a download. I bet they'd make a few bucks off it.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I think it's obvious that this release will take forever to complete due to adam's perfectionist complex, and when they release it they will probably advertise it poorly and say that it is the best thing they've ever done. Everyone will get way too excited and then just let down due to the build up.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well they will say it's the best thing they've ever done, because that's what every band says when they release an album.

And to be honest if a band doesn't feel like it's the best thing they've ever done, they should give it away.
SoMuchChub
My pain is just an excuse

Post by SoMuchChub »

I think it was Justin or it might of been Adam that openly admitted they'd had a bad bout of writers block ages ago. I think they're saying that the lawsuit might be part of the issue and perhaps weighing on them mentally.

As for the metal thing, I remember Danny saying before 10,000 Days he felt like they'd be noticeably influenced by Meshuggah and etc. 10,000 Days definitely isn't as heavy as anything prior. The opening riff to Jambi is the only thing I would say sounds even slightly Meshuggah-ish.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

SoMuchChub wrote:I think it was Justin or it might of been Adam that openly admitted they'd had a bad bout of writers block ages ago. I think they're saying that the lawsuit might be part of the issue and perhaps weighing on them mentally.

As for the metal thing, I remember Danny saying before 10,000 Days he felt like they'd be noticeably influenced by Meshuggah and etc. 10,000 Days definitely isn't as heavy as anything prior. The opening riff to Jambi is the only thing I would say sounds even slightly Meshuggah-ish.
I think that was a reference both to the sound of the riffs (ala Jambi) and the increased polyrhythms/polymeters (ala Rosetta Stoned). In any case, it's all a testament to the best way to tell what a record sounds like is to just listen to it, rather than listen to forced verbal comparisons/estimates*.

*that EVERY musician fucking hates making, but have to make anyway because talking about it is just a necessary thing.
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

The Pot about CDL?

Kangaroo done hung the jury?
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

iloveposters wrote:The Pot about CDL?

That's probably an apt observation... though... no one is innocent.
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

inspiration_tactic wrote:
iloveposters wrote:The Pot about CDL?

That's probably an apt observation... though... no one is innocent.
Exactly. And if this goes REALLY badly, someone can expect some prison sex.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

That's because the parabol is broken..

I suck.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ettan wrote:That's because the parabol is broken..

I suck.
Yeah, but at least you tried.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Huh, does Viginti Tres have lyrics, it is all over the net:
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=7351
Viginti Tres" means the number 23 in Latin. Here's some translation and interpretation:

una Infinitas Abominatio Nascitur Autumno
hic est tuum temptamen quod temptat tua potentia
viginti tres gradus ad summam potestatem

translated:
one infinity
the horror begins in autumn
this is your trial, which tries your (power, might, ability; efficacy, potency)
Twenty three steps to total power.

"The horror" refers to the end of the world, as told of by Christians. Why he believes it begins in autumn is anyone's guess. The trial he refers to is the time after the rapture, in which there are years of peace created by the anti-christ, and then years of absolute terror. The twenty-three steps could be a lot of things, including either a random number or the fact that two divided by three is .666 repeating. 666 is the number of the beast, once again according to Christianity. (thanks, Scott - Atlanta, GA)