Fourtheye Readers Best of 2012

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Over 150 votes were collected for the Fourtheye Readers Best Albums of 2012 poll and I'm happy to present the results and a little analysis. Initially I planned to make this a top 10, however voting was so close outside of the top 5, I decided to extend the list to 21.

Deftones were the clear winner, with over a third of the lists submitted containing their album Koi No Yokan.

Meshuggah's Koloss also polled strongly, which will surprise very few Tool fans. It wasn't always so clear cut though - for much of the duration of the poll it was neck and neck with the next two albums, but sprinted away in the last couple of weeks.

It was no surprise to me to see Soundgarden coming in at position 3, however it was tied for that position with Noctourniquet by The Mars Volta - and album I thought was good, but not good enough to poll so highly. 90s throwbacks the Smashing Pumpkins also polled higher than I expected.

I was a little surprised and happy to see The Swans polling so highly - an excellent record but one that I consider is outside of the usual listening catalog of most readers.

Only one Aussie band made the top ranks - Tame Impala. Personally I thought the album was a pile of shit, but what do I know! Thankfully Fourtheye Readers weren't so bad as to have voted Mumford & Sons into the list.

Enough of that, here's the list:

1. Deftones - Koi No Yokan
2. Meshuggah - Koloss
3. Soundgarden - King Animal
3. The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet
4. Gojira - L'Enfant Savage
4. Swans - The Seer
5. Baroness - Yellow & Green
6. Rush - Clockwork Angels
7. Katatonia - Dead End Kings
8. Between the Buried and Me - Parallax 2: The Future Sequence
8. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend
8. Jack White - Blunderbuss
8. Neurosis - Honor Found In Decay
8. Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
8. Tame Impala - Lonerism
9. Coheed And Cambria - The Afterman
9. Sigur Ros - Valtari
9. Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
10. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
10. Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral
10. The Melvins Lite - Freak Puke

Thank you to everyone that voted, and I will be publishing a full list of votes for every album that was nominated more than once in the forums shortly.

Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

Awesome! I'm not the only one that LOVES the new Deftones album!
edin
My pain is just an excuse

Post by edin »

Glad to see Storm Corrosion made the list.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

7 out of 10. Not bad.

Deftones
Meshuggah
Rush
The Mars Volta
The Melvins Lite
Baroness
Swans

They were all on my list. Though not in that order.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Really surprised to see KATATONIA do so well.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

no mate, you're not alone here... personally I've been wanking to this thing none stop... and quite possibly, apart from hellboy, everyone else spent some 'quality' time with it too!
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

^ that was @ Zwerewolf... forgot I was on the base site and not the forum... I suck
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

petemasterpete said
no mate, you're not alone here... personally I've been wanking to this thing none stop... and quite possibly, apart from hellboy, everyone else spent some 'quality' time with it too!

Katatonia?  I probably should have put that in my honourable mentions list.

Oh you mean Deftones.  They did make my list...
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

for those that are into this go hog wild but i tend to think its a pretty small lense to look thru coming from fans that are coming to a forum based on one band. there is some stuff i havent heard of though so maybe its not as narrow as i figured....so thats good i guess.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

bob said

for those that are into this go hog wild but i tend to think its a pretty small lense to look thru coming from fans that are coming to a forum based on one band. there is some stuff i havent heard of though so maybe its not as narrow as i figured....so thats good i guess.

Looking at the top 21 there's not many big surprises there, but the complete list that I've posted in the discussion thread paints a different picture.  While about 50% of the votes contained the same old bands (Deftones, Meshuggah, Pumpkins, etc) there were many varied lists.  Not everyone has the time and inclination to go searching for new music, and that's one of the things that make lists like this worthwhile.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I'm surprised the new Tool album didn't make the list.  I didn't think it was anything special, but I figured somebody here would've had it on their list.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said

I was a little surprised and happy to see The Swans polling so highly - an excellent record but one that I consider is outside of the usual listening catalog of most readers

I think that album is a bit more mainstream than you would think.  I've seen it mentioned in some surprising places lately.

Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy1975 said

While about 50% of the votes contained the same old bands (Deftones, Meshuggah, Pumpkins, etc) there were many varied lists.  Not everyone has the time and inclination to go searching for new music, and that's one of the things that make lists like this worthwhile.

Definitely agree and I plan to give many of these a listen when I get the chance.  There's a bunch of stuff that would never have been on my radar.  Been crazy busy with work and fam stuff, but I'm glad you took the time to put the list together and looking forward to discovering some good new shit.  Deftones was an early pleasant surprise, especially having written them off as not for me years ago.
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I'm still hesitant to listen to it, but since it polled so well, I really have no excuse . . .
MAGNUS
My pain is just an excuse

Post by MAGNUS »

For those interested, Koi No Yokan is available on HDTracks in 24/96. I just downloaded but I'm sure it's worth the $18.
Croaka
Maynard Believer

Post by Croaka »

Tame Impala are a pile of shit.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

"Looking at the top 21 there’s not many big surprises there, but the complete list that I’ve posted in the discussion thread paints a different picture. While about 50% of the votes contained the same old bands (Deftones, Meshuggah, Pumpkins, etc) there were many varied lists. Not everyone has the time and inclination to go searching for new music, and that’s one of the things that make lists like this worthwhile."

i dont see were you quote on this forum at the moment but i sometimes have issues like this. ha. anyway, were is the full list? im more interested to hear things i do not know of or at least read things i do not know of. im old and i dont listen to new music ever. once your 36 (im so old haha jk) but its true, u sorta dont bother with new music..and what i hear i dont like. cranky ol' bastard!

so yes, lists are good for sure. good job guys!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I like your attitude!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

bob said 
i dont see were you quote on this forum at the moment but i sometimes have issues like this. ha. anyway, were is the full list?

Full list

Mechamortal
Maynard Believer

Post by Mechamortal »

I downloaded Koi No Yokan for $9.99 on Amazon...